It Started with an Accident

French Dip

It all started with a simple accident. Honestly, I never thought my clumsiness and lack of overall punctuality would result in such an amazing (and embarrassing) experience. It all started when I woke up late for my philosophy lecture at school. Normally, people wouldn’t make a big deal about a class like philosophy, but I had that same professor for a later class in the day, and didn’t want to risk having him call me out later on and make my academic life a living hell. Yeah...he was one of those teachers. As soon as I saw the time on my alarm clock, I rolled out of bed, fell on my face, and then got back up and ran to the bathroom. I just ran my fingers through my hair and threw my glasses on. I brushed my teeth and put on deodorant at the same time, then threw on my shirt and struggled with the buttons. While putting on my pants and hopping around to get into their tight constraints, I fell over again, and continued to wrestle with them.

After momentarily forgetting how to tie shoelaces and how to roll up the chord to a laptop charger, I looked like a hot mess, but I was ready. I ran out the door and down the stairs of my apartment complex. I broke into a run almost as soon as my feet hit the pavement. Swerving through people and trying to keep myself from running out of breath, I was only a few blocks from the lecture hall. Just a little more...just a little more...

When I reached a crosswalk, I bumped into a tall man.

This is where it begins. It all happened so quickly, but I never thought it would change my life as much as it did.

When I hit him, and I felt myself beginning to fall. It felt like I was going in slow motion. I felt him try to grab me to pull me up, and when he did, he accidentally made me turn. I was then facing him, and still trying to catch me, he reached out his other hand to support me. And then, there we were. In the middle of the street, my arms around his neck, him french dipping me with our faces just centimeters away from each other. My eyes were wide and so were his, and the blushes we had were heavily apparent.

I don’t know why, but we just kinda stood there for a few moments until I heard his friend call, “Hey, Minho, ask for his number first, ne?”

The man, Minho, gasped and pulled us both upright, stuttering apologies and bowing to me. However, I had done the same, and we bowed at the same time and hit our heads together. We both shot up and exclaimed a loud, “Ouch!!” Then we continued to apologize and both walked backwards in opposing directions, and the gap between us grew. I finally turned and started to walk forward again once Minho was out of my line of vision. Even with the rush of the events that had occurred, I still remembered everything - every little detail was embedded into my mind. His frog-like eyes, his shaggy hair... His arms were so strong, and he wore a trench coat and grey scarf that suited him so well. Everything about him was so magestic and cool... And I felt like he was just a...a...potato.

I managed to get to the lecture twenty minutes late, and earned a dark glare from my Professor. But I was so out of it that I didn’t really care. All that was on my mind was Minho. Minho. Minho. Minho. His name rolled off my tongue naturally, and I wanted to say it all day. He was so amazing, that Minho. Where was he from? Where was he going? It hadn’t even been an hour since our incident, and already, I’d wanted to know everything about him.

My best friend, Sulli, noticed how zoned out I was. She poked my side and pouted at me when I wouldn’t respond to her during lunch.

“Tae hyung, why are you so spacey?” she asked. She insisted on calling my hyung, which, honestly, I was really okay with. Oppa sounded too cheesy and flirty.

“I uh...stuff happened,” I said, still staring off into the distance. She poked my side again.

“C’mon, hyung, you know what I mean. What specifically happened?” she elaborated.

I figured she’d get it out of me anyway, so I might as well tell her. “I ran into this dude on the way here. Like...literally ran into him. And he tried to catch me when I fell, and he ended up like, french dipping me.

“Seriously?!” Sulli giggled. “That’s almost like a scene from a romance movie! Did you guys accidentally kiss, too?” she snickered.

“N-no!...almost...”

“Aww~! Has Taeminnie hyung fallen in love at first sight?” Sulli teased some more.

I had to think about that one. Did I? I mean, it would make sense, I suppose. All the things I’d been feeling after that would make more sense, and it would explain why he was slowly eating up every manageable thought process in my brain. Sulli noticed how long it took me to answer and smiled.

“Hey, it’s cool if you have. Do you know the guy’s name?” she asked.

“Minho.”

“Minho...what?”

“I don’t know his last name,” I admitted shamefully.

“You met the love of your life and you don’t even know his full name? How are you going to know what to change your last name to when you two get married?! Do you at least have his phone number?”
“No...”

“Skype?”

“Nope.”

“Email?”

“Nada.”

“Address?!”

“Sulli, if I didn’t get his last name, number, Skype, or email, do you honestly think that I got his address?” Taemin laughs.

“It was worth a shot. But damn, how did you manage to not get any of that?” she sighed.

“Maybe you don’t remember, but I said I ran into him. It was an accident, and we were both too flustered and in a hurry to ask anything...er...at least I was,” I explained.

“Then how do you know his name is Minho?”

“I heard his friend about taking advantage of me or something.”

Sulli groaned and rubbed her temples. “It’s so hard to help you when you’re a total non-punctual ditz, hyung.”

“Hey, it’s not my fault! I was just born like this!!”

My day carried on similarly to that. As suspected, my Professor from earlier in the day called on me for nearly everything during class. He was absolutely relentless, but I think I mentally prepared myself enough for it. Class dragged, and when I finally got out, I was intent on going home and sleeping these thoughts of Minho away. And this is where being an unpunctual bastard both ruined and saved my life.

I was able to actually walk home from class, and sadly, I didn’t run into Minho. When I reached my apartment, I looked in my pocket for my key, and well, it wasn’t there. I checked my bag, my pockets - everything. And it wasn’t there. I groaned and left my apartment building, deciding I’d probably have to stay with a friend tonight. Sulli was having Amber over, and I didn’t really want to hear the noises they made in the night, so I decided I’d probably have to go to Onew’s. I stopped at a local coffee shop first, not even having to look over the menu to know what I want. They were having a busy day since more university students had just gotten out of class, so I had to wait awhile before I could order my Chai Tea Latte.
After a long wait, I’d ordered and sat down to wait for my order to actually be completed. Surprisingly, it came sooner than expected, or so I thought... When I got up to grab my latte, I went in to grab it at the same time as someone else, causing our hands to touch. I quickly retracted mine, then looked to see who the other hand belonged to.

Minho looked at me with probably the same amount of shock and embarrassment as I was giving him. He bowed his head and apologized, and I did the same. Luckily, this time, we didn’t hit our heads against each other. The barista gave me my latte somewhere during the span of time where Minho and I were staring at each other like awkward penguins. This managed to knock me out of my daze enough to grab my own latte and smile at him (though it was probably the most nervous smile in human history. Oh my lord, what is my life?!).

“H-hi,” I said softly.

“Hi...” he replied. His voice was so low and soothing.

“M-my name is Lee Taemin, I wanted to apologize for-”

“I-I’m Choi Minho. Please, it wasn’t your fault, I-”

“N-no, no! I insist, it was seriously all my-”

“But I was the one who grabbed you and-”

Listen, I just wanted to tell you that I’ve been thinking about you all day!!”

Minho and I both gasped when we realized we had said that at the same time. I looked at him incredulously, as he did to me. We stood there in silence once again, until he motioned for me to join him at a table. We sat by the window, probably the most awkward pair of people in Seoul. He looked out the window and bit his lip nervously, then turned to look at me and smiled. Oh my god, his smile was gorgeous...

“Um...well...let’s give a proper introduction at least, ne?” he started. “My name is Choi Minho, I’m twenty-one, and I work as a part time model.”

“M-model?” I stammered. Well, no wonder. He was freaking beautiful. “M-my name is Lee Taemin. I’m a full time university student, I’m nineteen, and um...we both ordered the same latte?” I wanted to bash my head against the table. No duh, he freaking saw that! Oooh lord, I felt like I was going to die right there.

Minho just laughed and smiled, and I swear I could feel my heart melting. “What are you studying in university?” he asked.

“Uh...to be honest, I’m studying psychology, but I really don’t want to. My parents didn’t want me to go into dance like I’d planned,” I admitted.

“You dance?”

“Yup!” I said happily, pushing up my glasses. “I’ve been dancing since third grade!”

“Ah, lucky,” he chuckles. “I tried giving dancing a shot, but it’s not really my thing. The only thing I can do efficiently is ballroom dancing.”

“Ironically, that’s what I can’t do,” I laughed. He laughed as well and leaned back in his seat.

“I’m actually saving up my money to go to uni, hence the modelling job,” he said, and I raised an eyebrow. He then elaborated, “I want to be a writer, believe it or not. I guess you could say I’m trying to follow in the footsteps of my favorite rapper.”

“And who’s that?” I asked, though I was pretty sure I already knew the answer. “Tablo?”

“Omo, you know him!?” Minho gasped. “Hardly anyone I know listens to his music!”

“Seriously? But he’s so good! He’s like a lyrical genius!”

Our conversation continued on like that for a good two hours. The business in the coffee shop slowly died down until we were the only ones left. We actually ended up getting kicked out because it was closing time. It was raining when he stepped out, and neither of us had an umbrella. “Where do you live?” Minho asked.

“Er...I can’t get into my apartment,” I admitted, slipping my glasses into my pocket.

“Then follow me,” he grinned, grabbing my hand and leading me to some unknown place. I know by normal people’s standards, this is a cue to run. But I was so enamored with his..his...existence, that I couldn’t exactly say no. By the time we reached his apartment building, we were drenched to the bone. We rushed inside and set our things down. He gave me some dry clothes and directed me to the bathroom. We put our wet clothes out to dry and checked the fridge for something to eat.

I decided to make us some french toast (because who cares about designated times for food?). Minho helped me by grabbing and passing me ingredients, and he even took care of the dishes. I set our food at the table, but when I turned around, I gasped and bumped into Minho, who was right behind me. He chuckled and put an arm around my waist and turned, and once again, we were in the same romantically awkward position we were in the street.

He smiled and said, “You’re cute when you’re flustered.”

“Y-you’re c-cute when you...e-everything...” I muttered, looking up at him with wide eyes. He smirked and leaned down just a bit more, causing our lips to touch.

Admittedly, I was in shock at first. I mean, even letting go of the fact that he was a gorgeous, perfect man, he was still kissing me after only knowing me for less that twelve hours. But I would be lying if I said I didn’t like it, or that I hadn’t imagined doing that during my lectures earlier in the day. I kissed back, slowly at first, with my arms wrapped around his neck. He lifted us up so we were standing upright, but didn’t break the kiss. I sighed in content and moved my lips against his in a steady rhythm. Everything came so naturally.

We parted after a few moments, and I couldn’t help but pout. He was such a good kisser, and I already felt myself beginning to get addicted. He smiled at me and kissed my forehead. “You know...I really like you, Taemin. I’d love to get to know you better.”

“Well, I don’t have any lectures tomorrow...and I’m standing right here,” I smiled. “Who said we have to wait to get to know each other?”

He nodded and pecked my lips softly, still holding me close.

To think... all of this happened because I woke up late for school...


 

Don't forget to comment and sub so you know if and when the sequal comes out!