Sneak Peek

A f t e r 2 0 1 2

“Help!” She begged, screaming, her fingernails clawing uselessly at the blood clogged, shaggy fur. “Oppa! Save me!”

Gathering up his courage, he sprang onto the beast, his foot digging into its bony back and his hands tight around its neck. The creature howled, straightening away from his sister and giving the girl a chance to scrabble away. The boy raised the crowbar in his hand and repeatedly stabbed where he thought the creature's scalp might be. A dark, inky substance spurted out from amidst the rippled grey fur, splattering on his tanned arms and onto his face. Slimy like an alkali but burning like acid, the blood made him cringe, but he gritted his teeth and forcefully jammed the jagged metal edge deeper into the beast’s head.

All of a sudden, the beast reared up on his hind legs and howled. With a gasp of horror and a slip of his foot, he gripped the fur as if they were reins, almost tearing them out by the fistfuls from the beast’s scalp. One of its six limbs reached up for the boy, its claws swiping for him in an attempt to pull him off. He ducked, pressing himself closer to the monster, before stabbing the creature once more. The blood burst out as the beast roared, infuriated, and the boy choked from the taste of death on his lip.

The creature swung its head, and he scrambled to hold on, letting go of his crowbar as he did. His legs dangled freely and he kicked hard in his desperation to keep himself upright. Frenzied now, the beast began to throw the panicking boy around, its six limbs bending backwards to snatch at him. He let out a cry of pain as one razor-sharp claw slashed against his thigh.

With a forward lurch, he was sent tumbling helplessly over the monster’s head, his back smashing against the gravel. Pain shot like electricity through his spine, and the impact of the fall rang through his head, causing his vision to blur and his mind to blank out for a few seconds.

“Oppa!”

The monster shrieked as it swung its head above him like a deranged dog. The shrill screeching pierced through his mind, and with it came the fluttering pages of his life, flipping without stopping in front of his glazed eyes. Memories flew past and faces sped, all intimidating in their overpowering beauty, some lingering longer in his head and others whipping past like shadows of the night. Voices, some barely discernable and some so heart-wrenchingly poignant, sang a sweet, dark lullaby into his ears, murmuring, whispering, seductive in their words. He saw his father again, his amicable, friendly father, before he had left their family. He saw his mother again, his weary, tired mother, lying peacefully asleep on top of a pristine white sheet. He saw her, in that baby doll dress she was wearing the first time he saw her, and he heard her voice calling him; he saw the both of them kiss again, that first passionate kiss they shared. Something tugged at his chest, and suddenly, he felt the sting of her slap, he saw her cry; he saw in the arms of another man. Pinned to the gravel by the weight of the memories and the shrieking of the impending doom, his chest rose for what would be the last time. A blood-red tear burnt down his face from the corner of his eye.

And just as the pages raced faster towards the end, he heard a faint scream, followed by the hungry roar from devil’s mouth as everything crashed down on him.

“Oppa!!!”

 

Writer's note: Just for you to understand my style. Keke. ^^

Anyone wants to pull out? 0.0 I hope not...