Letting Her Go

Letting You Go

Chanyeol sighed for umpth time as he leans back in his seat, trying to focus on the professor who's giving the whole class a lecture for not paying attention in class. He tried very hard, but it wasn't easy because since Jihyun who was once his girlfriend no longer remembers him.

Chanyeol sighed again and ran his fingers in his hair. This time, he was determined to focus on class. He knows that Jihyun will no longer remember him. He knows that very well, but he can't bring himself to accept it. The professor soon finishes his lectures and walks out the room. All the students groaned as they all stretched their bodies.

"Jihyun-ah~" Taeyeon called out and stood in front of Jihyun.

Chanyeol snapped his head up upon hearing Jihyun's name. He continued to stare at Jihyun with sad eyes. Taeyeon looked up and knew Chanyeol was hurting inside. She gave him a small smile and looked back at Jihyun.

"Channie, you have to let her go." Baekhyun whispered softly.

"I know Baek. I know ... but I .. I just can't." Chanyeol said almost inaudibly, tears almost threatening to fall as he bit down on his lower lip.

"Baekhyun-ah. Chanyeol-ah." Taeyeon called out with a smile, although she was hurting inside when she saw Chanyeol..

"Yes?" Baekhyun looked up.

"Would you like to come join us for lunch?"

Baekhyun took a glance at Chanyeol.

"You go. I don't feel like eating." Chanyeol stood up and left the room.

Baekhyun sent Taeyeon an apology expression. "Maybe next time, Taeyeon?" He looked at the direction that Chanyeol left.

Taeyeon nodded, fully aware of the reason and sent Baekhyun and smile. Baekhyun rushed out the room and chased after Chanyeol. Jihyun looked at Taeyeon and frowned.

"Why did you have to invite them? Especially that Chanyeol guy."

*It must be really hard for Chanyeol ...* Taeyeon thought. "They're our friends." *But Chanyeol is your boyfriend.*

"Our?"

"Yes. Our. Chanyeol and Baekhyun are our friends ever since you entered this college."

"But I don't remember anything about this Chanyeol."

Taeyeon sighed. "Let's just go eat lunch, yeah?"

Jihyun brightened up and nodded. The two walked out and to the cafeteria. On the other hand, Chanyeol was on the rooftop, leaning against the high fence. Baekhyun soon arrived, panting a little.

"Chanyeol." Baekhyun whispered sadly, looking at Chanyeol with sad eyes.

*When will you let her go? She doesn't remember you nor ... does she like you back. In fact ... she hates you..*

"Baekhyun.." Chanyeol croaked. "What should I do?" He looked up with teary eyes. "I can't forget her. I-I can't let her go."

Chanyeol then broke down, crying his eyes out as Baekhyun stood there hopelessly. Baekhyun slowly approached Chanyeol and hugged the younger one.

Baekhyun had no idea what to say nor do so he just continued hugging Chanyeol, letting the boy cry his heart out.

 

Two weeks passed and Chanyeol hasn't been attending college much. He would come and then leave after two classes. Baekhyun and Taeyeon were worried that he might do something stupid, both knowing that he can't forget Jihyun.

Jihyun on the other hand, was having the time of her life. Laughing and smiling while talking to her new friends. Or so she thought. To her, they're her new friends but to them, Jihyun is their friend since she came to the college. Jihyun thinks that she had only met them when she came to the college but never talked to each other before.

Chanyeol was in his room, laying on his bed with his eyes closed. In his hand was a photo. A photo of Jihyun and him, hugging and being lovey-dovey in the picture.

*Should I let her go?* Chanyeol sighed and sat up, staring at the photo in his hands. *But ... it's so hard to let her go ..* Chanyeol reached over to his desk and took the lighter. He went into his bathroom and held the photo over the sink. With a deep breath, he clicked the lighter on. Chanyeol stared at the lighter, then back at the photo then the lighter. With trembling hands, he lit one corner of the photo and put out the lighter. Chanyeol watched the photo slowly burn in ashes. When it was near his fingers he let go of the photo, falling into the sink and the tap. The water splashed onto the photo, putting out the fire.

He picked up the half gone and wet photo and threw it into the bin. Leaning on the edge of the sink, Chanyeol took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. He opened his eyes and smiled.

"Maybe it's isn't so bad after all.. I can start anew.."

 

The next day, Chanyeol came late and arrived to the 4th class. Luckily the teacher wasn't there yet. Chanyeol took a seat beside Baekhyun who then bombarded him with questions. Chanyeol chuckled and patted Baekhyun's head. Tilting his head, not understanding why Chanyeol was acting this way.

"Are you okay? Why are you acting this way?" Baekhyun whispered as the teacher came in.

Chanyeol turned his head to Baekhyun and smiled, before turning back to the teacher. Before looking at the teacher, he glanced at Jihyun who was taking down notes. He smiled and Baekhyun followed his gaze. *Has he decided to move on and let her go?*

"Chanyeol, come up here and answer this question. You have been absent for quite a few days."

"Okay."

 

"Hey, Taeyeon." Chanyeol greeted. "Mind if Baekhyun and I join you for lunch?" He asked and looked at Jihyun.

"Yeah sure." Taeyeon smiled. *He must of moved on.*

Chanyeol and Baekhyun took a seat opposite of Taeyeon and Jihyun. Jihyun looked up and immediately frowned.  Chanyeol saw it and smiled.

"Hello, Jihyun-shi."

"What are y ou doing? I thought you're letting her go?" Baekhyun whispered and nudged Chanyeol.

"I am letting her go." He whispered back.

"Hello.." Jihyun hesitantly said.

"I'm sorry if I gave you a bad impression. Let's start a new and be good friends?" He held his hand out for a handshake.

*He doesn't seem that bad after all.* "Sure." Jihyun smiled and shook Chanyeol's hand and went back to eating.

Chanyeol's heart clenched a bit but the pain eased away. A smile crept up his face. *I finally let you go and now we can start a new.*