Final

Please Don't

OCTOBER

Today my roommate and best friend came to me with stars in his eyes.

“I met a girl.”

No. God, no.

He spent the rest of the afternoon and most of dinner telling me about this girl. How she was cute and smart and so sweet and totally perfect for him.

Please don’t fall in love with her.

We need to buy groceries. I’m tired of eating ramen for dinner.
 

NOVEMBER

That girl is so annoying. Pinching my cheeks because I’m “chincha kyeopta” and pouting at me all the time. How does he put up with it? She takes up all his time, too; we’ve barely exchanged 5 words over the past week.

Please don’t leave me for her.

At least she cooks for us. For him, really, but if she’s cooking in our apartment she’s cooking for both of us.

 

JANUARY

They’re engaged. He proposed to her and their going to get married. Why can’t I have a happy ending too? I can’t even blame society this time. I guess he’s really serious about her. I had hoped... No, nevermind. It was foolish. I never... He wouldn’t...

Please don’t say goodbye.

I guess I was too scared and too late.
 

MARCH 21

The wedding is today. The first day of spring; a new beginning. I’m the best man, of course. Some best man I am, wanting to split the bride and groom.

Please don’t go. Please don’t go.

LATER

If I never go to another wedding, it’ll be too soon. Too-bright smiles and overzealous congratulations. Black and white and no room for anything less that perfect. No room for a jealous best friend who can’t even confess his feelings.
There’s a picture of the three of us at the wedding. It’s really a beautiful picture-- it would be perfect if I wasn’t there, right? The picture is in my pocket now; I don’t have the heart to change out of my tux. Nor do I really want to look at the picture right now. Maybe I’ll just return it with these stiff clothes. The only way I’ll ever look at your wedding picture is if I’m standing next to you.
It’s not fair, I know. Not to you and not to her. Not even to myself, really.  Spring is supposed to be for new beginnings? Well, I guess I could use a new beginning of my own. I guess I should give you some space. I guess I should find someone else to love.  Someone who can love me back, the way I wish you would.

Please don’t forget me.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, that was super short. I knew it wasn't very long but I didn't realize it less than 500 words. Maybe I'll rewrite it later.