Distress

Silence

 

Silence. There was always silence.

 

His head collided with the wall, shortly followed by his clenched fists; pain seared through his forearms - but he didn’t care. His teeth sunk into his bottom lip, drawing blood that slowly oozed down past his chin before dripping down into a deep red slough at his feet.
“Damn it…” he choked, his voice barely audible. “Damn it to hell.”
Reticence grabbed the air by the neck – not a word was uttered between the three men who stood unnerved; two of which watched the third with uneasy eyes.  It was only by the third man abruptly cuffing the wall that the first man stepped forward – laying an amiable hand against his shoulder.
“Siwon…”
Rashly, Siwon spun on his feet socking Donghae’s hand away from his shoulder before proceeding to charge by Yesung – shoving his chest resulting in Yesung stumbling into the wall.
Siwon didn’t care – another fist flew into the wall followed almost immediately by a screech of agony.
“Siwon!” Yesung bellowed, flipping his black fringe from his face, “Get a ing grip of yourself!”
Narrowing his eyes, Siwon jolted forward in an attempt to swing at Yesung, only to be stopped by Donghae who fixated his hands to his chest – pulling him back.
“How would you know how it feels? How the can you tell me to get a grip!”
Yesung opened his mouth, but shut it again almost at once due to Donghae shaking his head slowly. With no further struggle, Siwon sank to the ground; his rage slowly dissolving before bubbling back as wails of anguish. Immediately, Donghae rushed to the ground to comfort his companion who was now sobbing violently into his arms.
Yesung however rolled his eyes and sighed, leaving the two best friends alone – slamming the door behind him. Not long after, a low vibration rang throughout the room, followed by Donghae’s voice;
 

“Hello? Ah. Yes. Thank you I’ll let him know.”

Siwons blurry eyes followed Donghae’s every movement, a glimmer of hope shining behind the tears.
“What…did he say”

“Nothing’s changed.”

Again, Siwon buried himself into his hands, small whimpers escaping the cavern he’d created.
“Don’t worry…” Donghae breathed, rubbing Siwons back apathetically, “I’m sure it’ll be fine.”
Siwon raised his head, eyes full of tears attempting to focus on Donghae.
“H…how can you say that?” he bawled, slamming his fists on the ground, “How can you know for sure?”
Silence crept up on them once more, Donghae stared at the floor searching for the right words but there were none. No words could comfort Siwon – nothing he could say would take away the pain.
Minutes felt like years as the two hunkered together in the sullenness – barely breathing.  All that could be heard was Siwons mousy lament – followed by Donghae’s faint hushes of comfort.
Soon Siwon found the words he was searching for; the words that he’d only ever uttered to Donghae.

“I loved him.”