Purple Rain

Kai from the Sky

What a merciless, circular piece of equipment that alarm clock was.

I ran to the bathroom to wash up, holding my hand against my head. It was throbbing because apparently, I slept with the alarm clock right beside my ear.

"First day of school. Must start fresh!" I pumped my fist in the air, the way Hyosung would cheer me up before. Only this time I was talking to my reflection in the mirror.

After struggling into my new uniform, I rushed to the cupboards to grab some of the biscuits I bought in the grocery last night. Then just like that, I was off to school. To high school.

I dashed to the bus stop as fast as my legs would take me, but...

"Wait, wait!" I ran after the retreating figure of the vehicle.

Darn it. First day of school and I miss the bus. Maybe I should set my alarm earlier. Now I have no choice but to just walk because the next bus would arrive only after 30 minutes. And that's what I did.

"Nothing's over~♪♫" I hummed a tune to keep myself occupied as I trodded the path to school. It was not long before I noticed a commotion nearby.

"I swear I only swerved because there was a man right in the middle of the road" I overheard a driver explain to the police.

"Then where is he now?" challenged one of the policeman.

"I-I don't know! He was just here, and then now, I don't know!" exclaimed the defendant.

"Sir, please allow us to conduct a drug test--"

"The hell, I am not on crack. I swear there was a man lying down right there!"

Wow. This is something.

Just when I was getting too absorbed into the scene, I regained my awareness and checked my wristwatch. Omo, it's only five minutes until my first subject starts!

But even though I ran like my life depended on it, I missed the first subject. I had no other choice but to wait for the bell to ring and proceed to my next subject.


I pulled my lips up at the corners with my fingers to set my smile. They say good things happen when you smile. So I decided to enter my classroom with a smile. But nobody returned it. Everyone was busy huddling together in one corner. I avoided the claustrophobic crowd and sat at the other end of the room just beside the window.

"That's a really nice name, dude. Kris? So chic" I heard a guy in the crowd comment out.

"Ne, oppa. It's really beautiful like your eyes! So you're new here? I never saw you during middle school!" squealed a girl who can't contain her hormones inside her body.

Gah. I thought high school would be more mature. I'm sick of this kind of scene!

I grew bored waiting for the teacher so I searched my bag for something to do. Aha. That notebook. I brought it today, deciding I could use it anyway. It only had ten pages in it so turning it into doodling scratch paper wouldn't be a a bad idea.

I searched for a pen but ended up facepalming myself when I realized I only brought a purple one. Hopefully we won't be submitting anything written yet, or the teachers might think of me as a rebellious kid.

So I started to draw the scene outside the window. It was a sunny day, but instead I drew rain with my purple ink. I just felt like it. Besides, it's easier to draw plain raindrops than the sun entangled with stray clouds.

"Ya! Stop spilling your grape juice! My uniform got stained, see?" shouted a girl outside while looking up to what I assume is the school's rooftop.

"Sorry!" I heard a faint voice come from above.

I chuckled for a bit. Who drinks grape juice so sloppily early in the morning? It's not yet even break time.

"Annyeong haseyo, yeoreobun!" greeted the teacher as he finally entered the room.

"Annyeong haseyo!" I turned to the front with a smile.

But from the corner of my eye, I noticed the window pane decorated with small droplets of the juice that had spilled from above...

...just like purple rain.