Final

The Days After

I looked in the corner of the screen. December 31. 

"I know if you were here right now you'd tell me I don't have to do this."

I bit my lip because it was true. 

"You'd hug me and beg me not to. You'd tell me not to lose faith."

My lip was starting to hurt.

"I can hear your voice right now. It's a little breathy, because you're trying to hold back tears. 'Please don't do this.'"

I had to stop biting my lip; it was about to start bleeding. 

"I'm not going to get any better."

I was in denial for six months. Did that make me a coward?

"I'm only going to get worse and I don't want you to have to see it."

Even in death, I was all he cared about. 

"It'll be better for both of us; believe me." He poured something clear into his coffee. 

He wouldn't want me to cry. 

The white mug was a stark contrast to his red lips, a little too loved by tongue and teeth. 

But never too loved by me. And never again. 

"Please don't cry. You're probably crying right now. Don't mourn for me too much, okay?" I watched his Adam's apple bob. 

The truth again. He knew me better than I know myself. 

"Make sure you take care of yourself; I can't look after you anymore."

You didn't deserve this pain. 

"Pabo, I bet you're... Crying. I told you not... To cry for me." His words lost their cadence. 

"I'll wait... For you."

No, stop. I don't deserve kindness from such a selfless person. 

"Don't forget me and... Be... Happy." His head fell back on his shoulders and he slumped into the chair. 

I turned off the camera. 

You've got it all wrong. The only thing I would tell you is that I loved and love you. 

Something slipped out of the camera case. 

"사랑함니다"

The quiet hurt my heart.
 
----------
 
The day after, Jan 1.
I hate you so much.
 
The day after that, Jan 2.
I hate you so much
 
A week later, Jan 7.
Why. 
 
Jan 8. 
I don't think it hurt me until today. Work was . Pitying glances and half-hearted condolences. Pathetic. 
I picked up the phone to call you today. 
I cried for the first time since that day. 
 
Jan 14. 
Maybe you had the right idea, leaving like that. 
I see our memories reflected up at me. But I think it's begun to rain. The images become less clear it each passing day. 
Is it really worth going on like this?
 
Jan 21. 
Tell me. Was it easier to leave, knowing you were ready?
Will I be able to love again? This heartbreak is hard to endure, but I know you would want me make my own happy ending... Because you can't make it for me. Not anymore. 
I guess I'm just afraid. 
 
Jan 31.
I've said all I can, so today is my day before. 
The day before I let myself live again. I'll let you live again too, through me. 
Tomorrow I'll send this journal somewhere that it can't come back. Maybe one day you can read it. 
I suppose I should give you back your words. 
Well, 사랑함니다.