The Three Points of View

Writing For the Infamous

three points of view 

First Person: I, me, my

First Person is the second most popular point of view. If the book or story you are reading is constantly returning to "I," "me," and "my," the story is written in First Person. The benefits of using First Person would be that you can give your story more emotion from the standpoint of your main character. Or, if you choose to be creative, you could use the viewpoint of someone who is around your main character a lot to show how this person looks at the actions and feelings of the main character. Doing so can also create a bond between the owner of the point of view and the reader; both of them are watching the main character's moves. This point of view is really a combination of Third Person (narrative) and First Person, because the narrator is referring to themselves as I, but are referring to the main character as he/she.

Second Person: You, you, yours

Second Person, we can all collectively agree, is the most prolific point of view on this website. Reason being that we are all a bunch of fangirls/fanboys, and what's better than imagining you are in a fairy tale love story with your favorite oppa/unnie? There is hardly anything better than that for a fan. Outside of this website, or fanfiction, the Second Person point of view is really hardly ever used. It's next to impossible to find a book written in Second Person, but they are there. Don't get me wrong. The "you" point of view is nice for a while, yes, but it's truly exhausting to read "you" over and over and over again. Also, it is not acceptable to put ______ for someone to place their name in. You will probably not publish a book doing that. But, if your aim isn't to improve writing, ignore me. 

Third Person: She/he, him/her, his/hers

Third Person really has two subtypes. You've got your normal narrator who narrates about one person, referring to them as "he/she," and then you've got your omniscient/omnipresent narrator. The normal narrator is a person not typically addressed ever in the story, but knows everything there is to know about the main character. The omniscient narrator knows everything there is to know about everyone important to the story/plot. Moving from situation to situation, the omnipresent narrator will address everyone's feelings and thoughts, while the normal narrator would address the main character's feelings and thoughts.