Timeless

Our First [Tao]

 

Our First...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tao: Timeless

Listen as you read: http://www.listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=RqS_PxMHqV8&feature=player_embedded

 

 

 

 

 

“How can you do that to him?!” I screamed between sobs. “And you call yourself the Emperor?! You---”

 

“Dishonorable child!” He slapped me across the face.

 

Ma gasped and rushed over to Papa. “Your Highness, please. Calm down. She’s still young. It’s my fault I didn’t teach her well.”

 

The Emperor was fuming as I stood there, my hand touching the stinging flesh.

 

The king took a deep breath, “I am doing this for your own good, you foolish child.”

 

“I love him…” I said faintly. “I love Tao!” You shouted and looked straight at the Emperor.

 

Both of them stared at me wide-eyed.

 

“The kingdom needs you! Do you hear me not?! We are in the middle of a war!” He shook me with his powerful hands. “YOU are the princess! Princess of the Wu Dynasty! If you do not marry Prince Luhan of Ming, we and the people of China will never have peace!”

 

It was the truth… I had a duty…

I loosened in his grip and more tears helplessly slipped from my eyes.

 

Tao was the top warrior of the Wu dynasty. He was skilled in every aspect. In every battle, Tao was the one to lead in victory. He protected our kingdom and he protected… me.

 

I was to be sent to my chamber as the Emperor spoke with Chief Warrior WuFan.

 

I sat on my bed, arguing with myself. I didn’t want to accept reality. The reality that I could not be with Tao cut deep, spreading from my heart to the rest of me.

 

“I miss you… I miss you so much… Even though you are the most powerful warrior, you didn’t fight back. You fool!...” I wept. 

 

Because father used me against Tao, he agreed to be put in the vault. It was my entire fault…

The person I loved was beaten before my eyes.

 

The door opened and in came Song Qian, my maid and best friend. She rushed over to me and held my hand.

 

“I’m so sorry about everything…” She gave my hand a soft squeeze. “Your highness… I have something to tell you…” she whispered with worry.

 

“What is it?” I eagerly listened.

 

“I heard the Emperor speaking to Chief WuFan…” she paused. “About Tao…”

 

I knew what she was going to say already, but I didn’t want to hear it. I had fallen into the pit of hopelessness… It was over. Tao was to be executed... Tears welled up again and I couldn’t think. It felt like all the air I breathe, was stuck at my throat, choking me.

 

“You highness…..” Song Qian let out a sob and bowed to me.

 

I looked at my friend, the only one who understood me. Finally taking a deep breath, I gently pulled her up and wiped her tears.

 

“Song Qian… can you do mei mei a favor?....” I asked calmly as she stared at me. She was always ready to serve. Not only as a maid, but as a good friend.

 

“Anything for you, your highness…” She kneeled with her head low.

 

“….Become the Princess of Wu…”

 

 

______________________________________

 

 

I was running in the dark. Running… And running again toward the vault chamber.

My vision blurred from the sweat beating from my head. Branches and bushes, scratching and whipping left and right. The sound of me panting was all I could hear, but my heart; it was screaming for me to go to him. 

 

Tao…

He needed me.

 

Once I reached the barred gates of the chamber, WuFan was standing at the gates. Behind him was the guards, dragging Tao in chains.

 

“Tao!” I yelled.

 

As soon as he saw me, he spun and kicked the guards off. Wufan was quick to move and grabbed me before I reached Tao.

With a blade in Wufan’s hand, he lifted it to my neck and warned Tao. I struggled to move. Even though the blade was only pressed against my skin, I could feel it slowly slicing my flesh with every twitch.

 

“Please! Gege… Don’t…” Tao got stopped in his steps. “Please. Just a moment…”

 

“I cannot go against the Emperor’s command… You know that---” WuFan said calmly, still tightening his grip on me.

 

Before he could continue, Tao fearlessly took a step forward.

 

WuFan chuckled, “You have till dawn before I can break this. Go…”

 

Tao had stopped the time.

Tao pulled me away from Kris and we ran.

 

“Tao!” Kris yelled, making us stop. “Take care of mei mei… And be careful…” He said sincerely in his frozen state.

 

Tao nodded and I bowed in gratitude. Slowly turning to look at each other, Tao grabbed my hand and we started running again. Running as far as we can: From the palace. Running from my family, from my life… Running from reality.

 

Once we were far enough from the palace, Tao stopped us and took hold of my cold hands. Looking deep into each other’s eyes, without words, we knew each other’s feelings. Our hurt, our understanding, our love… For a moment, we just looked at each other and cried. How could fate be so cruel to us?...

 

He lifted his hand and wiped my tear stained face. “Wo ai ni….”

 

I threw my arms around him, hoping to keep this moment forever. If only we could freeze time forever, we can be together. Then I wouldn’t have to go back home. I wouldn’t have to marry a man I didn’t love. I wouldn’t have to be the princess.

 

My cries became softer as I lay on his chest under a big oak tree at the top of a mountain. Below us, we can see the kingdom. The lights and smoke coming from homes of innocent villagers painted a beautiful scene.

 

“Can’t we stay like this forever...Just you and me?” I asked, looking at the sight before us.

 

Tao was silent for a moment. “We can’t.”

 

I tilted my head to look at him, feeling confused. Did he not want to be with me?

 

“Why?...” I asked, but he kept staring at the village without a reply.

 

I cupped his face and held it, his precious features reminding me how much I love him.

 

With all I had, i confessed “But I love you so much…” before finishing, my voice had already broken to a cry.

 

He heard me and sat up. Looking me in the eyes, he leaned down and took my lips. With one kiss, it showed that he loved me just as much. Once he parted from me, he held my gaze with sincerity.

 

“Yes… We love each other…” He warmly caressed my cheek. “But you have a duty…” He said and turned to look at the village once again. “These innocent people… they need you.”

 

I followed his gaze and this time, the village looked different. I noticed the beggars sleeping on the streets. An abandoned mother holding her infant in her empty home. A young scholar, studying in his room stacks of books. And then I think of Song Qian, waiting in my chamber with tears in her eyes, carrying my burden. I think of WuFan in his stillness at the gates of the vault chamber. I think of Ma, living as the wife of the Emperor…

 

I was being selfish…

 

“Even if I stopped time forever, that forever can only last for so long… We will grow old and eventually die too.” Tao said, reaching for my hand. “Once I die, time will move again. Then nothing will ever be solved. There will be no peace…. And all these people, still trying to find their happiness will die…”

 

I finally understood… “So we’ll never be together…”

 

Tao nodded. “I know you are not a selfish person…” He pulled me to his broad chest.

 

I could hear his heart beating. Not only with love for me, but for the people.

And soon, I heard the sound of roaring and stomps of horses.

Time was up and WuFan was getting closer. His dragon flew up and landed before us. Once he drew his sword out, the rest of the guards were behind him with their horses. WuFan raised his hand for them to halt.

 

We stood up and Tao walked in front of me. As WuFan circled us, Tao pulled out his sword too.

 

“I will go with you.” I said and the guards came to led me behind WuFan. “Now let him go…”

 

Kris tried to keep a straight face. “I cannot go against the Emperor’s command.”

 

“WuFan!..” I begged, but it was too late, they already sprung at each other with their swords.

 

Each attack was close. With just one successful move, one of them could die. Kris rolled onto the ground after a kick and Tao took the opportunity to attack. With one swift movement, I ran past the guards and blocked Kris. I closed my eyes, seeing both swords pointing from each direction. Then silence.

 

I felt something wet on my arm. Slowly opening my eyes, before me stood Tao at the edge of Kris’ sword. Midway of the sword was the flesh of my arm, slightly cut from Kris’ attack.

 

The three of us froze.

 

Tao looked at me with a small smile, “I also have a duty… And that is to protect.” He pushed himself deeper into the sword and more blood oozed from his wound.

 

“TAO!” I screamed.

 

And with a sudden movement, he pulled himself out, falling to the ground. I quickly crawled over to him cradling him in my arms. He caressed my face, the same way he used to, just that this time, it was weaker.

 

“You can’t leave me. How can I live, if you’re not here? I can’t do anything without you.” I tried holding onto his wound to stop the bleeding.

 

“This is the only way… WuFan needs to live. He needs to protect you...” Tao mumbled.

 

I shook my head, “No…no! You can’t!”

 

“You have to do your duty…You can do it... because you love the people…and...” his voice almost inaudible. “They need you…”

 

I tried to argue, but no words would come out. Only an ocean of tears.

With one last look, he smiled. And that was enough to convince me that what he did was the right choice. Even if it was going to break me… I had to keep going. I had to protect the kingdom. Just like Tao would have.

 

I heard his words echo in me, “I know you are not a selfish person…”

 

And with his last breath, his body became limb as I held onto the last of him. At that moment, I knew that time would never stop again… And I would never be able to hold him, or feel his touch again...

 

 

_______________________________________

 

 

I was taken back to the palace. A week later, I became the wife of Prince Luhan of the Ming Dynasty… I was not born to be happy, but to bring peace to the country… Their happiness was more important than my own…

 

And that flesh on my face… I can still feel it burning.

 

As a reminder…

 

That “the kingdom needs me… That we are in the middle of a war…  I AM the princess of the Wu Dynasty. And that if I did not give up my love and happiness, we and the people of China would never have peace…”

 

Forever does not exist, but our love is timeless.

 

…..

 

And that was our first…

Life.

 

 

 

 

 

AN:

Omg, what did I just write?~~~ TT_________TT I cried so much writing this. I’ve never cried this much writing a fic…. Whether you liked it or not, just WOW… so many feels right now….

 

 

So basically they will reincarnate and end up with each other… maybe? 

Thank you so much for reading or even viewing this fic. Im an amateur writer so please have mercy <3 Please leave comments about your thoughts on this onceshot <3 I wanna know how you feel. Are you disappointed? Love is such a powerful thing isn’t it?

I will be working on the next “Our First”. 

 

Until then, bye-yeom!