Chapter 1

Solving the puzzle pieces

There he was. I never really noticed him until now. He was always on that bench by the open area in the front. For some reason he always had the G2 black pen in his hand with his blue worn out notebook. For a second there, I thought he was just doodling. Until I came across him in a coffee shop in town.

I remember it was a rainy day. The weather was really wet. It poured throughout the day making it hard to do some outdoor activities. A project was assigned and my Wifi was down so the only option I had was to go out for some coffee. I brought along my macbook with me and, I noticed that he wasn’t outside on his porch with his notebook. He would usually go into his porch if it rained or for some reason it was too sunny he couldn’t see. I remember walking into the shop and spotting the blue worn out notebook on one of the coffee tables.

He was a boy with many thoughts. He was very well mannered and a very good artist. I don’t exactly remember how we got into the same table but, the conversation was very surprising. His name was Jongin. Kim Jongin. He was an artist. He loved to draw, dance, sing and, write. Actually he was one of the reasons for me to start dancing. Besides that, he had really deep thoughts.

“ If you don’t mind, why do you always sit outside writing?” I said taking a sip of my latte.

“ Have you ever heard of the saying a picture could mean a million words?” his voice was deep but very soothing. 

I nodded in response slightly smiling. “ So.. you doodle in that notebook?”

He shook his head, opening and flipping through the whole notebook. Each page was filled up with words, not pictures. “ I turn that saying around. I use words to create one picture. I’m not very good with saying things out loud so I tend to write them down. It relieves a lot of stress to be honest.” 

“ Ahh I see. I’m much of a verbal person. I’m not very creative with writing.” I said staring at the notebook in front of me. 

“ Hmm.. have you ever tried dancing?” He raised his eyebrows.

“ Dancing?.. hm.. not really.” I shrugged at him.

“ You should try it sometime. It relieves a lot of stress. Plus, it gives you a couple of bonuses. You become active and very flexible depending on past experiences. I’ve been dancing since the 2nd grade.” His plump lips turned into a curve. It’s the first time i’ve seen him smile.

“ Jongin, which is more important to you? Writing or Dancing?” 

“ Dancing. I dance to get everything out. I actually prefer dancing than writing. Expressing your emotion through body movements is definitely one of the best things out there.” 

“ Oh. I would try it. but the thing is, I don’t know how to dance at all.” I said pursing my lips. 

“ Hmm.. If you have some time tomorrow, I’ll take you to a private studio. It doesn’t matter if you don’t know how to dance. It’s somewhere in you. Dancing.. is... feeling the beat to the song. Don’t feel ashamed! Everyone starts off in a very rocky stage. So.. what do you say?” he smirked a little making me melt a little inside.

“ Only if you buy me another cup of coffee? “ I chuckled.

And that’s how Kim Jongin became the best dance partner I could ever have.