Dance Like No Body's Watching

Dance like nobody's watching

 


“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.” 
― William W. Purkey

 

Every week on a Wednesday, Kai would be the first person out of the school. This was because on Wednesdays he went to dance at a nearby dance studio where he danced until it was late. Kai loved to dance; it only came second to his parents. Dance was his life and he lived for it. Jin-Kyong went to the same school as Kai but she went mainly unnoticed because she was quiet and she kept to herself. No body knew that she could dance, but Kai did because she went to the same dance studio after school on Wednesdays.

 

            There were several separate practice rooms in the studio and Kai always took practice room 5 because it was bigger and quieter. The others were smaller and weren’t as good as number 5. Jin-Kyong always took number 1 because it had a heater there. In the winter it would get really cold, she really hated getting cold. Sometimes, Kai would peek into room 1 as he left the building and he would see Jin-Kyong still practicing. Every time he saw her dance, he was mind blown because she specialized in hip-hop. He could not believe that such a quite and well-mannered girl would be able to bust out moves like those.

 

            It was a cold day in Seoul, after school ended Jin-Kyong walked to the Dance studio. Her legs and her face were cold as the wind blew at her. When she got to the studio, she quickly changed into a pair of baggy grey pants and a thick black hoodie. She put on her kicks and laced them up. She then put on her headphones and began to stretch. Kai was beginning to freeze, so he went and knocked on Jin-Kyong’s door. “Hey, um. Can I share a practice room with you? It’s getting really cold.” Jin-Kyong was too afraid to answer so she just nodded her head silently and went back to stretching.

 

            Kai began to dance with his headphones on and Jin-Kyong secretly watched him in awe. She released her feelings for him were unchanged after all this time. His movements were fluid and precise. She finished stretching and was about to select a song when a dark thought came into her mind. “What if Kai thinks my dancing ? What if he watches me dance?” “Of my lord, I cannot do this.” She thought of ways to escape.

 

  1. Jump out the window … too dangerous
  2. Run out of the room … he would think I’m weird
  3. Tiptoe out of the room … yeah, he wouldn't notice

 

            So she grabbed her bag and tried to silently walk out. But Kai caught her. He stopped dancing and asked her, “Are you leaving already?” She shook her head and took a tentative step towards the door. “If you’re scared of dancing when someone else is in the room then just take no notice of me and just dance like no ones watching.” She couldn’t escape so she dropped her bag in defeat and walked over to a mirror with her back facing Kai. She pulled her hood over her head and tried to dance. But she couldn't.

 

            When Kai was about to leave, he went up to Jin-Kyong and tapped her on the shoulder; she slowly turned around and gave him a suspicious look. “You know I’ve seen you dance before, sometimes when I leave I look through the window of your practice room. I know you can dance. It’s just that you’re too shy to show anyone. Do you think you could show me next week? Just me?” Jin-Kyong gulped and thought for a while. She nodded her head uncertainly and Kai smiled, holding out his pinky. “It's a promise.” When Kai left and Jin-Kyong had made sure he had left, she collapsed to the floor not knowing what to do. She had just promised Kai that she would dance in front of him.

 

Kai thought Jin-Kyong was incredibly cute when she tried to leave the practice room. He chucked at the memory. Kai secretly had a crush on Jin-Kyong ever since he saw her dance for the first time. He really liked her and wanted to tell her but he was also too shy. He liked the way her hair fell across her face. He liked the shape of her lips. He liked the way she dressed. He liked her eyes and they way they curved up into crescent moons when she smiled. Every time she talked to him or smiled at him, his heart would race.

 

1 week later

 

            Jin-Kyong arrived extra early that day and stretched. She kept talking to herself saying, “Jin-Kyong-ah, it’s all going to be ok, Kai is just another human like you. It’s going to be ok.” When Kai arrived, she gave him a smile and continued to stretch. Kai smiled back as he thought she looked the prettiest when she was smiling. “You ready Jin-Kyong?” he asked. She nodded and plugged in her ipod. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes and allowed the rhythm of the music and her body to guide her. Making up the steps as she went. Kai looked on in awe. He smiled.

 

1 month later

 

            Kai and Jin-Kyong had gotten a lot closer after she danced in front of him. She was no longer shy around him. They had even begun to hang out together at school. Kai still had a crush on her and decided to tell her when they next met at dance practice. So, he rushed to the studio after school and waited for Jin-Kyong to come. When she came in, Kai smiled and greeted her and she greeted him back. “Jin-Kyong. Um. I have something to tell you. Remember the time when I told you that I’d seen you dance before?” “Yeah…” she answered hesitantly. Kai pulled up a folded piece of paper from his pocket and gave it to her. “Here just read this.”

 

Jin-Kyong-Ah,

Over the last month we have gotten so much closer. I feel that we have become good friends now. I still remember to this day when I peeked into your practice room to see how you dance and I was shocked to find out dancing hip-hop. I started to develop feelings for you. I believe dance has connected us two. I was too shy to tell you and ask you. But, today I felt that I didn't, some other lucky would have asked and told you. So, I’m going to tell you that I like you and I’m going to ask you would you like to have dinner with me, after dance practice?”

 

Kai

 

After reading the letter, Jin-Kyong pulled out her phone and pressed “new message”

 

Kai,

Your letter left me very touched. I also have something to tell you. Ever since I came here to dance, I had admired you. Your style, your personality and most of all your kindness. Without you, I could never have been who I am today. I also really like you and I would love to have dinner with you.

 

Jin-Kyong

            Kai who was sitting in the corner jolted at the sound of his phone. He picked it up and read the message Jin-Kyong had sent him. As he read it, the smile on his face spread wider and wider. She looked up at her and smiled. She smiled back shyly and began to stretch.

 

            After dance practice ended, Jin-Kyong put on her jacket and backpack and waited at the door. Kai came out soon after. As they were walking to the restaurant, snow began to fall; Kai got a sudden spur of courage and grabbed her hand. It was cold and he interlocked his fingers with hers. Her heart skipped a beat and she looked up at him in surprise, he grinned and shoved their hands into his jacket pocket. She blushed and together they continued in the snow.

 

            

 

Please commet and subscribe. 

Happy Birthday Kai