The Garden

Sky-Filled Tears

Day 31.
 

Myungsoo's gaze hadn't faltered one bit after tuning into Channel Thirteen. They had finally done it after all. The world finally created a solution to the lack of rain, and he knew for a fact that it would've come sooner or later, but he would never have thought for them to resolve the situation so fast.

It had been an Earth month with no rain on Reath, and the government's scientific developers only started taking note of the situation two weeks ago. For the meantime, everyone had to survive off of recycled water brought here from Earth. The taste was lacking-- although water itself was tasteless as is-- and it was probably because some methods of purification worked better than others.

He watched as a man in a neatly pleated suit walked up on stage, adjusting the microphone stand to level with his height, and finally begin to speak.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, all around the world... We finally made a breakthrough with the long-term drought we have been living with since Day One. It is now Day Thirty-two, and I am proud to announce that water is no longer needed to survive. We have manufactured chemically-transmitted substances which can be used as a substitute for water. We can grow the produce we've lived without for so long! We have created new forms of liquid equal to that of water. And so, mechanics will be arriving at your door step to install the new system into your houses at exactly noon of tomorrow. Thank you for your time, and have a nice day."

Upon hearing news of the outbreak, Myungsoo's lips couldn't help but curve upwards into a beaming smile. He had to tell her; he just had to. This would only bring nothing but joy to her ears, and joy was the one thing he wanted to see on her face. he hadn't see signs of joy for so long, and he was afraid that the wait would last for a lifetime at this point.

He rushed into her room and tossed the book she was reading to the side. This was of much more importance, after all.

"Ji Eun, they've done it! They've found a substitution!"

"I know," she flatly said, hopping out of bed to grab the book that Myungsoo threw to the side. Then she walked back to bed, slid under the covers, and began to read, her eyes soulless and mouth at the perfect degree of a one-eighty.

Myungsoo's smile transitioned to that of a frown, seeing as though her reaction was one he certainly did not expect. In fact, it was anything from a reaction; it was the usual, and he didn't like it one bit. She was just... unresponsive. And because she was, Myungsoo tightened his fists in deep irritation. For once, he just wished that she would smile. Even a laugh or two would be just fine for the man.

After a few minutes of silence, a page-turn here and there, and an air of awkward vibes, Myungsoo finally spoke.

"Is there something wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing is wrong," she spoke and turned to the next page.

"Then why aren't you happy? Why aren't you smiling, and why aren't you jumping for joy? Why aren't you doing anything Ji Eun, why!"

At that instant, She took the time to set her book down on the table and cocked her head to the side. Her face revealed a look of curiosity, but more so of coldness. Her eyes turned to that of ice, boring into his, and causing him to nervously looked down at the ground. He wronged her, and they both knew of it.

"Ji Eun, I'm sorry. Forget everything I-"

"Myungsoo." He looked up at the sound of his name being mentioned.

"Y-Yes?"

"The garden needs to be watered."

"But Ji Eun, the newscaster just said that they found a substitute. It's going to arrive at our doorstep to-"

"The garden, Myungsoo. It needs to be watered."

"Right away, Ji Eun. I will get to that right away." 

And so he grabbed the green watering can sitting on the side of her bedside table. There was no water inside, and he knew that it was impossible to fill it in with such a substance. But even so, he walked outside of the house and into their backyard, took the can, and began to "water" the plants.

In reality, there wasn't even a drop of water that seeped out of the can as he "watered", and the "plants" were just drops of seeds planted against the rocky soil, and it probably wasn't ever going to grow anytime soon either. Not until the substitute was created. Since the seeds planted were those Ji Eun snuck from Earth, they probably wouldn't even adapt to that on Earth, even with the right type of substance.

Myungsoo reminded himself to go to the store tomorrow night. Who knows? Maybe they'd release a pack of new seeds as well. Ones that would be compatible with the soil and liquids here on Reath.

By the time Myungsoo finished watering, Ji Eun was no longer sitting in her bed, deciding to head downstairs to check up on the man. She smiled, her eyes gleeming brightly along with the stars in the sky. There was no longer a Sun, for there was no star large enough to be their main source of energy, but the several stars that were within the perfect distance from Reath acted as a source that could match the Sun's if added together. And as they twinkled in the sky ever so brightly, they brilliantly shined behind to compliment Ji Eun's radiance.

Of course these were those moments in the day that she would smile after so long. In the garden, and only in the garden.

 

 

 

Day 32.
 

Myungsoo set the alarm on his phone to exactly at twelve o' clock noon time. He couldn't wait for the mechanic to arrive at their doorstep, especially after reading in an article online that every store in all of the world would be handing out a free pack of seeds as a commemoration for this historic event, just as how Myungsoo thought it would be.

At twelve, the mechanics poured out from a loaded van and onto their street. And just as expected, they were there to install the new system. Myungsoo readily welcomed the men into his home, leading the way to the different areas of the house where recycled water was used.

Upon hearing the ruckus and made downstairs, Ji Eun made a check up on them. And seeing the uniforms they wore along with the tools in their hands, she froze up. Her eyes sharpened on the powder-filled bottle in one man's hand, assuming for it to be the substitute.

"Why are they here?" she asked Myungsoo, yet her intensely concentrated eyes were still locked on the men.

"Oh, Ji Eun. These are the mechanics. They're installing the system in our house. You know, the substitute? I thought I told you of this yesterday."

"You did. But they must leave. I don't want that system in my house Myungsoo! I don't want them to!"

"Ji Eun, they have to install it."

"No they don't. They could leave and never come back!"

"But Ma'am, it's our policy to install the system. We were instructed to do this for every house," one worker spoke up.

She looked up at the group of men with hatred filled in her eyes. Her eyes traveled back at the bottle in the man's possession, and in the blink of an eye, she forced all of her strength to slap the bottle from within his reach.

"JI EUN!" Myungsoo yelled at the petite woman, and bowed to the men in uniform. "I-I'm terribly sorry. I'll go bring her upstairs. Away from all of you." He grabbed onto her wrist and headed back up the stairs and away from the men and their priorities. He didn't want to be any much of a further embarrassment to them, or else who knows what would happen next?

"Let me go Myungsoo!" She struggled and tried to break free, though she was only released by the time they headed inside their bedroom. At that time, she screamed, pulling at her own hair, and ready to behead the man in front of her. "WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP THEM?"

He tried to keep calm. "Ji Eun, it's their job. They have to do this. And why don't you want the system installed anyway? You can finally start gardening, and we won't even have to use recycled water anymore. Just think about it."

"I don't want to think about it," she spat, "Those seeds are from my mom and dad! They aren't compatible with that god damn substitute! If it can't even be used for the garden, then what the hell is the need for it?"

"You can water that god damn garden on your own then! Just leave the system to be then because to hell those god damn seeds will grow without it! They will never grow Ji Eun."

He didn't want to, but of course he still ended up doing so. Myungsoo blew up for the first time since the start of their relationship. Even after all the times they have fought, he never blew up. And seeing him do so made Ji Eun crack, and right in front of him, she started to cry.

"I'll water them on my own then!" she wailed, pushing him away.

"J-Ji Eun, don't cry. Please don't cry. I'm sorry. I'll help-"

"No, leave me alone!"

 

 

 

Day 60.
 

And like she said she would, Ji Eun watered the plants on her own. For twenty-eight days and twenty-eight nights, Myungsoo watched helplessly as Ji Eun walked downstairs with her back hunched over and a waterless watering can in her hands. She always watched during the hours of the day for any signs of growth, and she did notice them, even if in reality, the seeds were stale and no sprouts would ever seep out.

She wasn't talking to him at all, and the distraught on Myungsoo's face every time she shunned and walked past him grew worse. But again, it was his fault for blowing up, and he needed to repent. He couldn't blame her for being so obsessed with the garden. He just couldn't. After all, those seeds were the only possession she had left of her parents.

Leaving Earth was never brought up beforehand, you could say. Nobody ever knew the possibility of venturing out into different galaxies before the day it actually happened. Nobody was prepared, and nobody was allowed to bring any possessions with them, unless authorized to do so. However, the seeds were coincidentally tucked into Ji Eun's pocket the day everyone left, and to her luck and Myungsoo's surprise, no security guard happened to see them. Everyone was in such a hurry that there wasn't even time to make an x-ray check for weapons or even for security.

Although the planet would soon blow up anyway. What was the point in doing a security check and wasting such valuable time to save many other people and evacuate in time?

Ji Eun's parents were part of the many unlucky people in the world. They weren't chosen. They didn't fit the criteria in which was needed to board the ship, and were chosen as part of the billion who were used as the scapegoat to leave. It was the same for Myungsoo's father, whom whole-heartedly bid him goodbye, happy to know that at least one of his sons were able to survive.

The government could only take as much as the ship could hold. As much as their limited number of supplies could last. And if that were to be unlimited, they would bring everybody. Honest to heart. But of course, sacrifices had to be made, and it the inevitable, for the human race could only strive if those sacrifices were made.

Ji Eun and Myungsoo were one of the lucky few who could board, and their loved ones were thankful that the couple could board together. And after arriving on Planet Reath, everyone eventually adapted to the lost of loved ones. Everyone gave their blessings and eventually moved on. Everyone but Ji Eun.

Her parents were still apart of her, and Myungsoo knew that she would let them go when she was ready.

He just had to keep on waiting.

"Ji Eun... I'll talk to her tomorrow. I'll apologize," Myungsoo muttered to himself, coming to a decision after much thought.

Walking over to the balcony, he watched in silence as Ji Eun squatted down and brought out her watering can, caring for the plants to the best of her abilities. Even from afar did she look crazy to him, Myungsoo had to admit, seeing a girl watering a "plant" that wasn't even a plant with a can that didn't even have any water. He'd just have to make her come into terms of realization tomorrow then. 

 

 

 

Day 61.
 

Myungsoo had awoken to the sight of a bed without Ji Eun, and was he quite surprised to see it. He was never used to such things, not being able to see her face the moment he woke up as an example. Even after her obsession for the garden had arose, she always still considered their relationship in some ways.

She still made him feel as if they were a couple, even with such little day-to-day things like sleeping in the same bed.

If she weren't to do things like this, then he just couldn't even imagine of what would become of them by then. It would be like their relationship was nonexistant in the first place, and the thought of it left him shivering.

"Maybe she's in the kitchen cooking. Yes, that must be it," Myungsoo murmured, trying to keep a sense of positivity going from within him, but he knew better than to keep such doubtful thoughts. Even back on Earth, Ji Eun would always wake up around forty minutes after Myungsoo did. It was beyond him to think that she could possibly wake up earlier.

And so Myungsoo rushed out of the master bedroom and down the stairs which led to an empty kitchen and no Ji Eun. Where could she be? That question rose to his mind countless times in the manner of milliseconds. He had a thousand thoughts leaving in and out of his mind, most in which left him with feelings of confusion, anxiety, and worry.

And for the first time in his life, Myungsoo felt scared for another person.

He felt scared for his beloved.

His beloved Ji Eun.

He walked outside of the living room and into the garden, the last place he could have thought of. However this time, Myungsoo had a strange feeling in his gut, and it only irked him the more he thought that she would still be there. For more than twenty-four hours. In her most cherished garden. The place she loved more than anything else in the world.

Even Myungsoo, himself.

And he knew that was to be true for he saw a tiny little lady sprawled out against the cold flooring of wild grass. She was sleeping soundly, knocked out, and right next to the garden. That damned and retched place. In one hand laid a watering can, and in the other laid a shovel covered in dirt. Myungsoo knew that she was pampering her "plants". He just knew it.

"Ji Eun! Wake up! Ji Eun, please wake up!" Myungsoo pleaded, lightly slapping the side of her face in hopes to see any kind of reaction.

A few seconds later, Ji Eun stirred, lightly blinking twice before fully flickering her eyes open. Up close, he saw the dark circles of bags that were hiding from underneath her eyes, and he knew that she slept late. Very late.

"M-Myungsoo."

"Ji Eun, what were you thinking? Are you stupid!" he scolded her spitefully, his temper getting the best of him.

She stood up, brushing away the flakes of grass that stuck onto her clothes. Then replying, "I was taking care of the garden. I thought that if I cared for it just a bit more, it would grow even faster."

"The garden. Hah. The garden. THIS GOD DAMN GARDEN! IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT THIS GOD DAMN GARDEN JI EUN, ISN'T IT? IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT THIS ING GARDEN!"

"M-Myungsoo, stop. You're scaring me."

"I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS GARDEN JI EUN. TO HELL WITH IT ALL." Myungsoo screamed, throwing one of the empty flower pots in the air and eventually crashing into shards of clay, sprawled in pieces and blended in with the soil. It was now part of the flower beds.

"M-Mom and Dad. I-I just wanted M-Mom and D-Dad." Ji Eun hiccuped, a flow of tears beginning to stream down her frail face all the same. 

At that moment, Myungsoo begun to broke down. He had enough of Ji Eun, he had enough of her antics, and he surely had enough of this garden. A bitter laugh, it started as. He was laughing a laugh that didn't come off as anything close to the joy he once had. It was a laugh of hatred. And that laugh transformed into tears.

Ever since he was a young boy, Myungsoo was told not to cry. After all, crying was an act in which only women were allowed to do. A man even having so close as to one tear was highly frowned upon in his family, yet Myungsoo was crying right now in front of Ji Eun. He was crying salty tears that she had never seen before in her life, and it only tugged at her heartstrings.

"I-I" she began to speak, but he cut her off before finishing.

"Ji Eun, I love you. I really do love you. And I apologize if I've gone too far, but you have to move on Ji Eun-" He dropped down to his knees, and gazed into her eyes, hurt. "You have to move on! I-I'm scared for you. I'm scared of what's going to happen to you if you take this obsession any further."

"I know Myungsoo, and I'm sorry. And I promise I-" Ji Eun abruptly stopped, feeling a cold drop of a liquid lightly smack against her cheek. She held onto it tightly in shock.

"You promise what? Continue Ji Eun," he said, standing back up to embrace her in his arms.

"M-Myungsoo, I felt it," she cried. 

"Felt what?"

"Rain."

 

 

In a split second came a downpour. One after another, what looked to be drops of water fell from the sky. Rain. It was rain falling gently, kissing the couple's skin as it made contact with the soil beneath them. It was as if a symphony were playing, beating against the ground in an extended and ever so beautifully played fashion. It was a soothing comfort that made them feel alive, that made them feel free from the air that once trapped them in this dreaded place, that made them feel as if they were on Earth once again.

Only, it was better.

 

Rain had officially come to Planet Reath, and the pair began to cry once more. And along with it came the rain which cried along with them.

And it continued to do so, constantly comforting the two once a year, every year, year after year.

And it only happened on the sixty-first of every year.

They day in which rain falls from the sky as if it were a sky full of tears.

 

 

 

The Day of Rain.
 

 


Thanks everyone for reading the story! It honestly took me the entire day, and I was literally writing and editing and revising for seven hours straight. Well, I did have the occasional eating/snacking break every once in a while. This was quite hard, writing a story in an alternate universe, but I feel as though I can be happy with the work I did. And yes, my holiday is The Day of Rain-- it's a fictional holiday, but it's a reality in this alternate universe.

As always, comments, subscriptions, and upvotes are loved, but never expected of you all. Although it would be nice if you commented this time because I really want to hear all of your thoughts. This was a very hard piece to write after all, and I at least want to know how well I did. OTL, sorry if I sound greedy.

 

Anyways,

I love you all!

 

xoxo.