//cafe.

starcraft prodigy; a one-shot.

“Whoa, daebak!”

“Look at her go!”

“Another one bites the dust!”

Smiling inwardly to myself, I tried to conceal my grin as my fingers flew across the keyboard, attempting to destroy the enemy. My right hand’s pointer finger repeatedly mashed the left mouse button at lightning speed as I bit softly on my lower lip. Come on, come on…just a little more…I can do this. Narrowing my eyes, another battalion of opponents came towards my fighters as I attempted to ward them off. My efforts were not in vain; the last of my opponents were taken out after much perseverance. An explosion of cheers from behind me, as well as a highly audible groan to my right, confirmed my victory. Looks like this’ll be another one for the books.

Taking short, exaggerated breaths as if I had returned from fierce combat from a tiger rather than an online game, I threw my hands in the air and leaned back in my computer chair. Victory was mine! It was amazing how I ended up winning all the time. Up to this day, I still surprise myself with the amount of people I beat in a day. Every time I triumph over someone in a Starcraft battle, I get this elated feeling inside my stomach. It's kind of funny, actually. The person to my right scowled at me.

"Come on, Saemi, can't you just let me win once?" he grumbled.

"No can do, Niellykins," I tutted. "That would tarnish my winning streak. We wouldn't want that happening, now would we?"

The boy named 'Niellykins' glared at me. His name is actually Ahn Daniel, but he goes by Niel. Niel's been my best friend since we were in diapers and let me tell you; we've gone through a LOT. He's like a brother to me, complete with sibling rivalry and everything. That's okay though; we both know that that's what best friends do. We laugh, we fight, we make up and everyone parties with delicious jjajangmyeon afterwards. It was because of this boy that my current Starcraft situation exists. At first, I thought it was another one of those boring, shooter video games, but I was oh, so wrong. Plenty of girls my age don't play it, but it helps me through second year of high school. Plus, there's only so much a sixteen year old can do in Seoul without getting in trouble with the cops. Thus, I turned to Starcraft.

"Oh, so you're going to call me 'Niellykins' now? What are you, my grandmother?" He snorted. "Just a simple 'Niel' would suffice, thank you."

"How about Daniel? Daniel, Daniel, Ahn Daniel," I sang. "It's fun to say your name!"

"Put a sock in it, Saemi," he pouted, then he turned around to face the rest of our friends. "What are you guys snickering about? It's not like you guys haven't lost to her either."

"Yeah, but we, unlike you, accept our losses with dignity," Byunghun, who insisted that he be called 'L.Joe', stated, smirking.

"How do you even accept a loss with dignity?" protested Niel. "You LOST!"

"Let it go, Niel," Chanhee, known as 'Chunji', told him, shaking his head good-naturedly. "I'm sure there are other people in here you can beat. This Internet cafe isn't limited to JUST Saemi, y'know."

"You can't beat the best," Minsoo, who went by 'CAP', shrugged. "And she is the best. Come on, even though this server is limited solely for the Internet cafe, I'm sure you'll find SOMEONE who's at your level. Hey, look, I'll go ask that ten year old kid for his username and you can request a battle with him."

That seemed to have enraged Niel even more. "Yah! I'm not that bad!"

"Yeah, hyungs, he's not that bad," agreed the maknae of our group, Changhyun, also known as 'Ricky'. "Noona's just better than you."

"Ricky, I keep telling you not to call me noona...it makes me seem older than I really am," I reminded him, furrowing my eyebrows.

So, our little group of friends consists of six people, including me. I've already told you guys about Niel. Bang Minsoo, alias CAP, is our leader. Well, he doesn't actually hold the 'leader' position; we just consider him the leader because he's the oldest and assumes resposibility for us. He loves to tease us all, but he's a good guy. He's also the only one I have to call 'oppa'. Lee Chanhee, or Chunji, is a year older than me. He's part of the ninety-three line, meaning he was born in 1993. Forever the optimist, Chunji is always the guy I can go to whenever I need a little boost. Lee Byunghun, otherwise known as L.Joe, is the same age as Chunji. With his looks and ability to take pictures of himself every three minutes, he could pass as an ulzzang. CAP, Chunji and L.Joe are in the third year of our high school. Niel and I are in our second year. Finally, our maknae, Yoo Changhyun, who goes by Ricky, is the baby of the group. Don't be fooled by his boyish looks; this boy is a rising Starcraft champion. Even though he's only a first year, he has managed to beat everyone but me in our group. Pretty impressive for a ninety-five liner, or so I think, anyway.

Ricky smiled apologetically. "Sorry. I'll get the hang of calling you by your name eventually, noo--I mean, Saemi."

I rolled my eyes warmheartedly. One of my biggest fears was being called 'noona'. Well, it wasn't really a fear. I just don't like the fact that I'm older than some people. People tell me all the time that I'm too young to be thinking these thoughts, but in reality, I never wanna grow up. I like the fact that I'm still young. Plus, I highly doubt that I'll end up with a younger boy anyway. No, siree, I'm not that kind of girl. I'm more of an, 'oppa, look at me!' kind of girl.

"You better," I told him, then swiveled my chair until I turned to Niel. "Cheer up, boy. Tell you what, I'll buy you a waffle from the bakery next door. How does that sound?"

He pretended to ponder over it, although I know he had a soft spot for waffles. "Well...okay. But I'm going to get the most expensive thing on the menu."

"That's alright. I still get to bask in the glory of defeating you in Starcraft once again," I replied with a smug look on my face.

"Celebrate later," commanded L.Joe, motioning at my screen. "Looks like our queen of Starcraft has a new challenger. Will you accept?"

"Weird, I've never seen this screen name before," Chunji muttered.

"Neither have I, but if they want a battle, then they've got one," I said, getting my game face on as I flexed my fingers.

Whoever SUPALUV95 was, they were going down. A sudden rush of excitement filled me. I loved new challengers like a wolf loved fresh meat. It just leaves you with this giddy feeling. With a solemn nod towards my friends, I clicked to start a new game. The familiar landscape appeared on my screen as the game's music blared on my headpiece. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn my mic on for this game session, so I was stuck listening to my opponent making taunts at me. I tried to button mash on the keyboard and click until my fingers gave out, but it was no use. In ten, measly minutes, my final defenses deteriorated and I saw the face of defeat after six, long months.

A collective gasp arose from behind me. Murmurs spread like wildfire throughout the five shocked boys. I, myself, was stunned as well. An accepting smirk appeared on my lips as my opponent enthusiastically said, "Good game." I immediately began to scan the area. Who was this mysterious player? I'd like to meet him. To be honest, I was more curious to get to know who he was rather than angry.

"Whoa, did someone really beat noona?" Ricky chirped, but I was too lost in thought to reprimand him for using the 'n' word.

"I...I guess they did," L.Joe answered.

"We should find him," suggested Chungji, sounding like he was in awe.

"And beat him up!" added CAP, whose voice was coated with vengance.

"Yah, you can't just do that," I told him, my eyes widening. "Anyway, it's fine. You guys know that I'm not THE best. What I'd like to know, though, is who this person is and congratulate them."

"We'll find him for you!" CAP volunteered. "Dead or alive?"

I gave him a 'what-do-you-think' look. "Oppa..."

"Dead? Okay come on, boys! Let's get him," he said with excitement and before I could argue, they dashed off to the other side of the cafe to locate my opponent's IP address.

"Let's go to the bakery now and get your mind off this," Niel suggested. "Plus, if they do find him, CAP can just call your cellphone."

Agreeing, I grabbed my backpack and walked outside. Thankfully, the bakery was right next door, so we didn't have to brave the chill of winter for very long. Upon our entrance, the smells of baking bread and jam tickled my nose. Niel and I bought two waffled and picked out our favorite seat near the window. Just as we were finishing our snack, my phone went off.

"We found the little er." No need for me to ask to know that it was CAP. "Want me to bring him over to ya?"

I rolled my eyes. Freaking CAP. I hope he didn't say anything mean to the kid. "Stay put; we'll be there in two minutes."

Ending the call, I turned to Niel. "Let's go, Niellykins. They found him."

"Niel. NIEL. It's not that hard to say," he complained, but followed me out the door anyway.

When we got back, I was glad to see that CAP and the boys didn't kill him. The boy was reclining back on his chair lazily and chewing gum. He appeared tall, taller than little Ricky, Chunji and L.Joe, but not quite as tall as CAP. At first, I thought he was from our rival school since he didn't look familiar, but as I drew closer, I noticed that he was wearing our school uniform. Why have I not seen him before?

"I see you've found him," I spoke up as I stood before the small group.

The boy stood up, towering over me by at least six or seven centimeters. "So, are you Andromeda6?"

Upon hearing my username, I grinned. "And I assume that you're SUPALUV95. No Saemi, pleased to meet you."

"Likewise. Choi Jonghyun, but call me Changjo. I've got to admit, I had to put in more effort for that win than I've ever had before. Now THAT'S what I consider a victory well earned."

"I applaud you; it's been a while since I've experienced loss again," I confessed.

"Practice makes perfect. Plus, I hoped to run into a worthy competitor once I moved here. Looks like I have," he praised.

In that minute, I concluded that not only have I found myself a true Starcraft prodigy, but an intellectual as well. Oh, bonus points: he was cute, too. But I've only known him for barely a minute. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves, I told myself.

"You go to our school?" CAP interrogated. "How come I've never seen you before?"

"I moved here last week and today, I went to go tour your campus. Pretty nice school. I'm glad that I already know a couple of my schoolmates, otherwise I'd be sitting alone at lunch for quite a while," he explained.

My pocket suddenly vibrated. Looking at my phone's screen, I saw that my mother had text messaged me. 'Come home now,' it said. 'Dinner will be ready soon.' Pouting, I lifted my eyes from the screen. "My mom wants me back home. Pity; we were just getting to know each other. I'm sure we'll run into each other tomorrow."

"Oh, I'll make sure we will," Changjo responded, then grabbed my phone out of my hands faster than I could blink.

"Yah, dude, give that back to her," Chunji warned, but Changjo looked unfazed as he continued to punch in a few buttons on my phone.

After a few seconds, he handed my phone back to me. "Do you mind showing me around your school tomorrow? Today's tour was a bit too...dull for my liking."

"Just because you beat her in one game, it doesn't mean that you could--" L.Joe started, but I held up a hand.

Glancing at the screen, I saw that he had input his number in my phone. "Challenge accepted. Expect a text message tomorrow telling you the time and place. Now, if you'll excuse me," I nodded at him and quickly hugged the other boys.

As I left, I could have sworn that I heard CAP mutter, "Lucky punk," under his breath.

---

It was 7:29AM the next day and my fingers drummed up against my school's steps as I glanced towards the gate. Why did I feel so nervous? It was just a little tour, nothing else. Get a grip, I told myself. You've known him for a DAY.

Apparently, I'm not a very good listener, even to myself. My mouth turned into traitorous smile as I saw his figure walking towards me. Checking my phone, I commended his punctuality. It was 7:30AM. Right on time. He wore a confident look on his face as he took long, valiant strides towards me. I stood up as he leaned against the railing.

"Good morning," he greeted.

"Morning," I replied casually. "So, let's cut to the chase. Where do you want to start?"

"You're giving the tour, you call the shots," he shot back.

"Alright. Let's go this way," I told him as I walked inside the school building. "I'll show you my favorite place."

"And what might that be?" he questioned.

"Computer lab," I revealed.

"Naturally."

As I showed him around the school, I noticed that not only was he intelligent, he was also a comedian. This kid knew how to keep a person entertained. As an added bonus, he also seemed like a four-dimensional alien, which I could relate to. It was amazing to know someone who has so many similarities as me. I found it easy to open up my true self in front of him. As we laughed and conversed, the school bell rang.  I found myself feeling reluctant to say goodbye.

"Where's your homeroom?" he asked as we walked through the school doors. "I'll walk you there."

"Classroom 2-A," I told him as we walked up to the second floor. "Where's your homeroom?"

"Wow, 2-A, huh?" he speculated out loud. "You...you're a second year?"

"Yeah, I am. Why?"

"Oh, nothing," he replied, then stopped walking as we reached my classroom. "I'm in 4-B."

"4-B!? Wait a minute," I said. "Does this mean you're a--"

"A first year? Yup. I'm fifteen. Why do you look so shocked?" he laughed.

As my brain was still reeling from the initial shock, Changjo bent down and kissed me on the lips for a second. "See you around, noona."

Heat rose to my cheeks as I helplessly watched him climb up the stairs. My mouth, agape, was tingling. Walking inside my classroom, I slumped in my seat as I pondered over what just happened. He was a first year!? There was nothing more I dreaded than the last words I heard him say, but the truth was inevitable. To him, I was a noona.

---

There it was. XDDD I told you guys it wasn't that good. But I'm just in love with Changjo! Please comment if you read it! I really appreciate all your comments. Thank you for reading and keep an eye out for more of my fanfictions. Until next time, annyeong(: mystery signing off.