I can be the heart that you spill on the pages

Prom?

 

„I still can’t believe he had the nerv to…”

„I know he is a jerk, but he is so hot!”

„I still don’t understand what he likes about the new kid. He is just… eww…”

„I don’t understand why is everyone drooling over, he is not even that handsome. Poor J…”

 

 

Stepping into the classroom Yunho just shook his head not listening the gossipping whispers anymore. He made his way towards his friends who were gatherd around his seat. Yoochun, Junsu and Changmin were his best friends since they were toddlers. Although they always make fun of him Yunho is their little group’s ’leader’, the hyung they can always rely on. Yoochun is the gossip machine who gets easily excited over even the smallest things. Junsu maybe is a little dense sometimes, but is the group’s mood maker with his bubbly personality. Changmin is their snarky and always hungry maknae.

 - Hi guys! – Yunho sat down smiling at his friends - Why is everyone so worked up? – he looked around confused.

 - Oh god hyung, you chose the worst week to get sick! – said Yoochun - You missed the biggest scandal of the year!

 - The biggest scandal of the year… tsk. You said that two weeks ago when Jessica…

 - No, I mean it this time! – whined Yoochun grasping Yunho’s shoulders - Jay was caught cheating on Jaejoong with the new guy, then it turned out that he was cheating on him the whole time. There was screaming and punching… ewww… it was really bad. In the end he had the gut to blame Jaejoong for everything then dumped  him for someone from the track team.

 - WHAT??? How could he… my Jaejoongie… - Yunho’s fingers curled into a fist.

 - It’s perfect! – shouted Junsu suddenly jumping up slightly from his chair.

 - Junsu, Jaejoong just got his heart broken. I don’t think there’s anything perfect about it. – said Changmin looking up from his math book.

 - Ohhh ~ not that, it was a coward action, but lets be honest. It was bound to happen. Jay is a brainless jerk who can only think about . – Junsu turned toward Yunho with bright eyes - I thought about Yunho hyung. It’s the perfect chance for him to confess to Jaejoong!

 - What? No, absolutely not! – Yunho looked at his friend with disbelief.

 - Come on, don’t be such a coward. You have been crushing on Jaejoong since first year and this is our last year. – Junsu tightend his hold on Yunho’s shoulders as he encouraged him - You have been watching and stalking him. You memorized his timetable just so you can catch a glimpse of him on the corridor. We have to sit at the same table in the cafeteria because it’s the only table you can perfectly see him at lunch break.

 - Just few days ago you were completly depressed because you bumped into him and broke his pencil. It took us almost two hours to calm you down and convince you that he didn’t hate you.

 - And the list just goes on and on. – sighed Yoochun.

 - If you put it like this it sounds creepy. – Yunho looked down rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment.

 - You’re creepy, hyung. – said Changmin looking up from his book again.

 - Yeah, definitely creepy, but that’s not important now. My point is that is the final year. We have one months of school then you will leave for that fancy university. What if you won’t ever see him again after graduation? Do you really want to leave like this? Don’t you want to talk to him at least once? Don’t you want to at least try? What could go wrong?  - Yoochun jerked Yunho’s shoulders so the later would look at him.

 - Oh yeah, what could be worse then public humiliation? – huffed Yunho sarcasticly.

 - You know that Jaejoong is not like that. Even if he rejects you he wouldn’t make fun of you or humiliate you.

 - What if he actually accepts you? What if he will actually say yes and you will go with him to the prom? Did you think about that? – Junsu put his hands on Yunho’s knees to get his attention - What? It could happen? He already tried the no brain + big muscles’ combo and he got his heart broken. Maybe he will realize that he needs someone like Yunho hyung.

 - We all know you are a really good catch. You just need a little confidence. –  assured his friend, Yoochun.

 - And to get rid of your ugly glasses, get a new haircut and maybe new clothes. – added Changmin.

 - Yepp, no more ugly glasses. – hummed Junsu in agreement.

 - Yah! My glasses are not ugly and there’s nothing wrong with my hair or with my clothes.

 - You know I love you like my own brother, but accept it Yunho… your glasses are hideous, your hair is way too long and even my grandfather wouldn’t wear clothes like these. – looked Yoochun sympathetically at Yunho.

 - I hate all of you! – muttered Yunho under his breath.

 

 

Junsu was hiding behind the curtains of the school’s theatre as he was spying on the two figures who were currently making their way towards the stage.

 - They are here! – when he saw their target was left alone he excitedly ran towards his friend -  Yunho hyung! Come on hurry up! They are here!

 - I heard you.

 - Are you nervous?

 - Me? No, not at all!

 - Really?

 - I’m freaking out! – he turned around looking at his friend desperately - My legs and hands are shaking, I’m dizzy and my throat is dry. I think I will throw up… I can’t do this… I can’t…

 - Hyung, if you don’t stop this I will slap you! – Jundu grabbed Yunho’s shoulders before he would start hyperventillating - Look at me, just look at me. – he waited until Yunho’s eyes were focused on him - You are an amazing person. You are charming, caring, funny, understanding and loveable… You are pretty perfect and you look absolutely dashing tonight. So just grab that guitar, walk out to that stage and sing to him.

 - Yeah, you are right! – Yunho took a shaky breath while taking a hold of of his guitar – Junsu, can you do one more thing to me?

 - Sure.

 - Could you push me out to the stage? My legs are not moving.

Junsu frowned at Yunho before he lightly pushed him out to the stage.

 

 

Jaejoong was mumbling incoherent words under his breath as he was sitting in the completly dark theather. One of the musical club’s member asked him to compose a song for their upcoming show. He was really euthisiac at first. Music has always been his passion. He wanted to be a composer since he was 3 years old. He had hundreds of songs on his computer composed by him, but he wasn’t confident enough to show them to anyone.

In the last one week lot of things happened to him. He broke up with his boyfriend of 2 years. Finding out that his lover was cheating on him almost the entire time of their relationship was painful. He felt so stupid not knowing anything, but he realised he wasn’t really in love. Their relationship was simple and comfortable, but passionless… and even boring. He knew now that he was more in love with love itself and the tought of having a boyfriend.

He lost a couple of friends too. Without Jay he wasn’t popular enough for them, but he could be careless. Blair, his one and only best friend stood up for him and he felt a sense of pride when she kicked Jay so hard in the balls that he still had difficulties to walk.

Since the break up he felt free and carefree. It was his final year, his last chance. He won’t be a coward anymore.

 

His toughts were interrupted when he heard the low sound of guitar and a gentle deep voice coming from the stage’s direction. As he focused his eyes on the figure illuminated with dim light he felt mesmerized.

 

[Verse 1]

I can be the peanut butter to your jelly

I can be the butterflies you feel in your belly

I can be the captain and you can be my first mate

I can be the chills that you feel on our first date

 

I can be the hero and you can be my side kick

I can be the tear that you cry if we ever split

I can be the rain from the cloud when it's stormin'

Or I can be the sun when it shines in the mornin'

 

[Chorus]

Don't know if I could ever be

Without you cause boy you complete me

And in time I know that we'll both see

That we're all we need

 

Cause you're the apple to my pie

You're the straw to my berry

You're the smoke to my high

And you're the one I wanna marry

 

Cause your the one for me for me (for me)

And I'm the one for you for you (for you)

You take the both of us of us (of us)

And we're the perfect two

 

We're the perfect two

We're the perfect two

Baby me and you

We're the perfect two

 

[Verse 2:]

I can be the prince and you can be my princess

I can be the sweet tooth you can be the dentist

I can be the shoes and you can be the laces

I can be the heart that you spill on the pages

 

I can be the vodka and you can be the chaser

I can be the pencil and you can be the paper

You can be as cold as the winter weather

But I don't care as long as we're together

 

[Chorus]

 

[Verse 3]
You know that I'll never doubt ya
And you know that I think about ya
And you know I can't live without ya 
I love the way that you smile
And maybe in just a while
I can see you walk down the aisle

[Chorus]

 

Yunho opened his eyes and looked at Jaejoong with a small smile on his lips.

 

We're the perfect two…

 

Letting out a shaky breath Yunho felt all of his confidence vanishing… nervousness filling up his body again as he stared at Jaejoong’s blank face.

Throughout his performance he felt so calm and carefree. For a moment he really believed that it was worth it. That after all the heartaches and sleepless nights his only dream will come true. Jaejoong will say yes to him and they will go to the prom together. They will have a wonderful and romantic night with a lot dancing and laughing. If he was lucky he maybe even get a kiss from him in the end of the evening.

Now he wasn’t so sure anymore. Jaejoong was just sitting blanky staring at the ’Prom?’ sign above his head.

Suddenly his song felt so lame and fe felt so emberassed. He wanted nothing more than the ground open beneath him and swallow him.

 - Please, say something! – he whispered quietly.

 - Is this for real? - Jaejoong still wore that blank expression on his face.

That was it. He should have known that someone like Jaejoong would never want anything from somelike him. It was not a fairytale or a movie where the poor boy gets the princess… well, the prince in his case.It was real. It was reality where he was just a plain and boring nerd and Jaejoong was the beautiful and kind-hearted popular boy.

 - I knew it was a bad idea. I shouldn’t have…  - he slowly turned around. He needed to leave, fast.

 - Wa…wait! – he heard a hesitant call from behind his back – Were you serious? Do you really want me to go with you to the prom?

 - You must think I’m crazy, because we barely know each other nad here I am j… - he heard soft footsteps behind him.

 - Let’s go.

 - Huh? – Yunho suddenly turned around, eyes widening when he realised how close Jaejoong’s face was to his.

 - If you were really serious then let’s do it. Go to the prom together, I mean.

 - Did you really say yes? – Yunho shut his eyes close for a couple seconds. When he opened them and Jaejoong was still in front him he started to believe this was reality. His long time crush was really standing in front him and has just agreed to go with him to the prom. - Oh my god, I can’t believe it. You said yes. I’ll go to the prom with Kim Jaejoong. This is the best day of my life! I could ki… - he abruptly shut his mouth when he heard Jaejoong chuckle - I mean… khm… that’s cool. Let’s go together.

 - Just one more thing. If you dare to call me princess one more time I swear I will kick your…

Yunho started at Jajoong’s flushed face and it was the cutest sight ever. It was the first time he saw Jaejoong blushing and he hoped it wasn’t the last time. And the thought that Jaejoong was blushing because of him – at least he would like to think that – sent butterflies to his stomach.

The next thing he knew he felt something warm and soft against his lips. Blinking couple of times he realised that the warm and soft thing was actually a pair of lips.

He just freaking kissed Kim Jaejoong. He immadietly pulled away.

 - Oh my god! I can’t believe I did that. I am so sorry Jaejoong! I don’t know what came over me. I usually don’t go around kissing people, especially not people I don’t know. Well, of course I know you, everyone knows you. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t know you. You must think I a…

His rambling was cut off when he felt those heavenly lips against his own again. And he knew he wasn’t the one who intended the kiss this time. So… does this mean that Jaejoong kissed him?

 - There, we are even now. – Jaejoong let out a soft chuckle seeing Yunho’s adorable confused face – Look, I have to go now but if you give me your phone number I will message you my address and the time when you can pick me up.

 

 

 - You did it, hyung! – his best friends were running to him yelling at bouncing happily.

 - What are we going to do now? – asked Yoochun.

 - Yeah, Yoochun is right. You barely have time to prepare everything. Do you want us to… - Junsu’s sentence was cut off as he felt Yunho’s frame shaking against his.

 - I think I’m gonna faint.

 - No, I mean…

The next thing they knew Yunho’s body slumped onto the floor with a loud thud.

 - Oh, he literally meant that he will faint. – Junsu scratched his neck dumfounded as he watched his friend lying on the floor in an awkward position.

 

 

 - A little bird told me you are going to the prom with Yunho from class B. – said Blair causally taking the empty seat next to Jaejoong.

 - Hmmm? – Jaejoong not paying attention to her continued drawing little hearts on his sketchbook’s cover.

 - You, Yunho, the prom?

 - Oh, that…

 - I have history and chemistry with him. He is a really nice guy, you know.

 - I suppose…

 - You suppose? That’s it? – she looked at Jaejoong in disbelief - I am your best friend, JaeJae. Talk to me!

 - I’m confused. – he started playing with the pencil in his hand - We have barely talked to each other more than 20 sentences in the last 4 years and now he is here asking me to the prom with that stupid and sickeningly sweet serenade.

 - It is not about Jay, right? Because he is a…

 - I know, I know. He is a lying cheating bastard and I shouldn’t even think about him anymore – he sighed dropping his head on desk – Still, we were together for almost 2 years and he never did anything like this and he never made feel like this. Then suddenly here is this guy who I barely know making me feel all these things. – Jaejoong lowered his voice - I kissed him. I mean it was barely a peck and he was the first one kissing me, but I kissed him back. You know me, I don’t do such things. That boy is really driving me crazy. – he groaned - I’m even drawing stupid hearts all over my sketchbook’s cover.

 - Because that’s what you deserve. – Jaejoong sent her a confused look – You deserved to be cherished, to be loved and to feel loved. You deserve prince charming and the happy ending.

 - And you think Yunho is my prince charming?

 - He could be. – she patted his head gently - You wouldn’t know unless you give him a chance.

 - I guess you are right.

 - Just don’t be prettier than me, okay? – she snickered standing up from her seat.

 - How many times do I have to tell you not to call me pretty? I’m a man! – he sat up immediately scoffing at her - Yah! Come back! I’m not finished with you!

 - Bye, JaeJae! – Blair winked at Jaejoong before jogging out of the classroom.

 

 

 - Okay Yunho. You are almost done, you just to pull this side to that… - Yunho looked helplessly himself in the mirror – Aish… stupid bow tie! Why aren’t you…

 - Calm down, my boy. No need to get angry at a tie. – Yunho turned around seeing his mother standing at his room’s door. - Let me do this. – walking up to him grabbing the two ends of the bow tie - Here, it’s done. – she smiled his son patting his shoulder.

 - Thanks mom! – said Yunho taking a big calming breath.

 - Oh, don’t be nervous, okay? Just be yourself, don’t try too hard. If that boy is good for you, he will like you. – hiding her teary eyes she pulled her son into warm, comforting hug - You grew up so fast, Yun-ah. Your father and I are so proud of you.

 - Mom? – he tried to pull away from the hug, but his mother held him tighter.

 - I’m fine, just le me hug you a little longer. – she whispered.

 - I love you mom! – mumbled Yunho placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

 - I love you too, son! – his mother drew back from the hug fishing out something from her pocket. – Take this.

 - Is this what I think is? – he asked in disbelief.

 - Your father’s car keys. I’ve just talked to him on the phone. He’s feeling really guilty because he can’t be here. It’s his way telling sorry. – she patted his cheek - You better get going. If you make that boy wait too long in the end someone will steal him away from you. – she started pushing him out of the room towards the front door - Have a wonderful night.

 

 

 - Aish… stupid hair! Why are you not obbeying me? – sighed Jaejoong in frustration.

 - You look perfect, Joongie! – said a deep voice behind him.

 - You are just saying that grandpa. – Jaejoong sighed in frustration - Yunho will be here in a couple of minutes and I look awful. My suit is wrinkled, I have huge dark circles under my eyes and my hair looks like a bird’s nest.

 - You must really like this boy. – his grandfather smiled gently at him - You are just like your mom. She always wanted to look perfect for your dad. Even though you father loved just the way she was, she always woke up 1 hour earlier to make hair and make up, making delicious breakfasts. Although your father would have l… – his grandfather stopped talking when he saw Jaejoong saddening expression - Wherever they are, I’m sure they are so proud of you. I am.

 - I wish they would be here.

 - I’m sorry, it’s your prom night. I am not suppose to make you cry.

 - I’m not cr… - his sentence was cut off when they heard the door bell ringing.

 - It must be that Yunho boy. – his grandfather smiled reassuringly at him - You are really perfect Joongie, so just take a few deep breath, calm down a little and come downstairs. I’ll let him in. – he stopped at the doorway - I know I’m not really good at giving advices, especially with boys. But if you think this boy deserves you just be yourself and don’t be afraid.

 - I love you, grandpa. – Jaejoong pulled his grandpa in a tight hug before letting him go to get the door.

 - I love you too, Joongie.

 

 

 - Goodnight, Mr. Kim. – Yunho bowed politely.

 - Goodnight, grandpa. I will be home late, don’t wait for me. – Jaejoong gave a last hug to his grandfather before following Yunho out the door.

 - That wasn’t so bad. – Yunho mumbled to himself as soon as the door was shut behind him.

 - Sorry about my grandfather. I know he is a little weird, but I think he likes you. So you don’t have to worry.

 - I hope he is not the only one. – said Yunho opening the car’s door for Jaejoong.

 - No, he isn’t. – wishpered Jaejoong before getting in the car.

The ride to school was silent. A little awkward but quite and calming. Pulling up to the school’s parking lot Yunho suddenly reached out for the glove compartment and pulled out a small neatly wrapped blue box.

- I know you don’t like flowers so I asked Blair what should I and she said you love these. – he said putting the boy on Jaejoong’s hand.

 - Candy bracelet from candy heart? – Jaejoong looked at him suprised.

 - Yeah, she said the candy hearts are your favourite.

 - Thank you. It is really sweet of you but I didn’t get you anything.

 - That’s okay. I just wanted to give something to thank you for coming with me tonight. – he smiled shyly at Jaejoong -  I haven’t said that but you look gorgeous tonight.

 - You aren’t that bad yourself either.

 

 

After greating all of their friends and getting more teasing and meaningfull glances that was humanly possible they found a table for themselfs. Chatting, laughing, a brush of fingers every now and then. The awkwardness between them was long.

He didn’t know how or when theyget there but they werw at the far end of the gym. Dancing slowly, wrapped around each other.

It was better than anything he dreamt of. Having Jajoong pressed so close to his body, moving together to the beat of the music. It was lovers hours. An hour full of …. And he had an idea who’s idea was that.

Senses feeling feeling with Jaejoong. His nose full of his unique scent, fingers desperetly reaching for any skin, eyes hardly blinking just drinking in everything that was Jaejoong, ears bathing in his breath-taking voice as he sing.

 - You have a beautiful voice. – he smiled gently at Jaejoong and continued when he saw the slight frown on the other’s face - You were singing together with the song.

 - Oh… - Jaejoong looked away shyly - I didn’t notice it. I will stop.

 - No, please don’t stop. –Yunho suddenly touched Jaejoong’s face making him turning his head back – Your voice is angelic just like everything else about you. Sometimes I have a hard time believing that you are really human. You have a heart of gold and a kind soul. You are compassionate and you never show if you are hurt because you always think about others first. You are also childish and stubborn. – Yunho’s fingers brushed across Jaejoong cheek faintly touching the tip of his nose – And when you scrunch your nose when you’re confused it is the cuttest sight. A small simple smile on your lips makes the world better.

 - You are just exaggerating.

 - I meant every world. – he leaned his forehead against Jaejoong’s - Maybe I sound stupid or creepy… but I have been in love with you for the past three years and to have you in my arms now it’s more than anything I could ever hope for.  Like a dream came true and I’m afraid if I let this chance go I would never have another one. I had this whole speech prepared full of romantic sentiments but I can’t remember any of it. So I will just ask you. – he closed his eyes and took a deep breath then looked into the other’s eyes - Jaejoong, will you be my boyfriend?

 - I… I… - his head was spinning, his inside was burning, eyes unfocused for a second.

 - Hey, are you okay? You are trembling. – Yunho tightened his hold on the older boy’s waist.

 - Yeah. – he wishpered breathlessly – Just a little dizzy.

 - Come, let’s go outside. – he lead Jaejoong out to the school’s garden looking for a bench - Here, sit down.

 - Thank you. – he smiled weakly at Yunho. This boy surely know how to take his breath away.- I’m sorry that I ruined your confession.

 - It’s okay. I don’t know did I even h…

 - Stop it! – facing Yunho he put his finger on his lips - Stop thinking so low of yourself. You put more effort asking me out to the prom than Jay ever put in our relationship and it scars me, okay? With him it was simple and comfortable. I always knew what to expect of him. It wasn’t always ideal but it was safe. – the sudden rush of heat and dizziness went away as guickly as it came. It was replaced with warm tingling and restless butterflies in his belly. - Then you just walked into my life giving me the dorkiest and cheesiest serenade known to mankind, looking at me with those eyes, doing all those little things for me that makes me feel so special and when you touch me… You make feel things that I have never felt before and do things I have never done before and I’m falling too fast, too hard. And it’s really scarry, but I promised myself I will not be afraid anymore. So ask me again.

 - Huh? – the younger boy looked at him dumbfounded.

 - Ask me again. – repeated himself.

 - Oh! – Yunho took Jaejoong hand in his leacing their fingers together then took a deep breath and let himself loose in those mesmerezing doe eyes for a minute - Jaejoong, will you be my boyfriend?

 - Yes, I will be your boyfriend! – Jaejoong’s smile mirrored his. Scrething from ear to ear, honest and happy.

 - Boyfriend. Umm,  I like the sound of that. I am at the prom with my boyfriend. I’m sitting on a bench with my boyfriend. I g…

 - You are cute when you are rambling, but someone needs to shut you up. – thick, soft, warm lips were immediatly pressed against his. Yeah, Kim Jaejoong could shut him up anytime, every time, anywhere, everywhere.

He put one of his hands around the older boys waist pulling their bodies closer while his other hand wondered up at Jaejoong’s back gently brushing over his neck then burrying it into the soft, silky mop of black hair.

 

 

Jung Yunho was at the prom, sitting on a bench fingers laced with his boyfriend’s fingers. His lips were touching his bofriend’s. He was kissing his boyfriend. His boyfriend, Kim Jaejoong.

 

And most importantly he did not faint this time.