What took you so long?!

Surprises

He was a transfer student with little words and kept mostly to himself at the back of the class by the last desk near the window. He sees no point in being overtly friendly to the nameless faces in class with just a year to go before he'd graduate and fly back to Vancouver where a working spot would already be waiting for him. Kris didn't like being a puppet under his father's dictation. He'd tried opposing and look at where he ended up today; easily taken out from a life he'd built for himself and thrown into a world of foreigners where language had been his biggest barrier.

Kris knew what his father's motive was other than to warn him of his disobedience. He wanted Kris to adapt in the shortest time possible for future expansion of the company into this country's market. And being his only son, Kris was naturally given the task of learning their culture and language for a hassle-free transaction in the future. Kris hated being controlled by anyone but he'd be damned if he returned with his tails tucked between his legs admitting that he couldn't grasp the language within a year. Thanks to the advancement of the internet and (fortunately) a Korean native back in Canada as a close friend, Kris had sailed past with the basics and was more than fluent in daily conversation. Except that he chose not to excise what he'd learned.

His father did say to adapt well, but that didn't mean Kris had to create any form of connection that was his father's main motive. He would graduate from this school as his father expects of him and he would take up whatever position given in the company, dismissing those judgemental glares. Kris would do all those for the sake of money, cash that would eventually free him from the grasp of the dominate father who'd trained his son to be the person who will take on the director's seat when he decides to retire. Of course, his father didn't know that his son never did intent to bend to his will, but surprises are fun like that.

Kris sees no point in being overtly friendly to the nameless faces in class with just a year to go before he'd graduate and fly back to Vancouver... except for her.

She was the girl who came into class with a ready smile on her lips as she greeted the class in general, settling in her seat beside him before flashing a grin at him, dimples and all, with a Good morning, Kris(and she does it even when he ignores her everyday). Kris easily classify her as the social butterfly who knew anyone and everyone, the type of girls who can talk about everything without depth. A communication centre that everyone flocks to for information, the popular one. But Kris was never really accurate with his observation of people (since he rarely bothered to get close to them unless he wants to), and his view changed on that particular day when he saw her leaning by the pole of the deserted basketball court.

 

 

Kris only wanted a quiet spot for a quick nap before lunch time ended and had scouted the campus when he got to know of this isolated spot. He hasn't expect to see anyone here, much less Sooyoung (yes, he knew her name because she forced him to say it every single day), who he'd thought to be hanging in the cafeteria with another large rowdy crowd. Kris was about to head for the other corner when she called his name. Large chocolate eyes zeroed on him before the girl got up from her spot to where he stood unmoving. In any circumstances, Kris would have casually walked off without waiting for her but it was that stoic face that stirred his curiosity. In the month he's been her seatmate, Sooyoung'd always been cheerful with an almost idiotic smile plastered to her face even in tensed situation that seeing her without her usual liveliness halted any thoughts of brushing her off.

"You okay?" Kris found himself asking, surprising both himself and Sooyoung when her lips formed a small O and a hint of merriment seemed to seeped back within her gaze. Slender finger gripped his wrist and pulled him to the shaded corner (where he'd intended to rest at) and settled him down before taking her spot beside him.

"That was a surprise, you being concerned. I knew you weren't all that detached, mysterious male that the other female pegged you as. It's a little annoying for me that you're keeping the distance, though the girls find it attractive. I'll never get that." Like they were long time friends, Sooyoung spoke without realm or caution despite them not having exchanged more than formal greetings and few sentences, at best.

"So this is where you've been hiding all the time during lunch break? It's a wonder we never met earlier than now." Her smile was distracted as she stared up at the sky, her question almost half-hearted.

She's been coming here during her breaks? Kris hasn't expected that.

"Ever wonder how you can be part so everything yet feel like you're not? It's like how a person can feel so superior against lesser organisms but when you think in terms of the universe, humans are barely anything. Not eating?" She dug from within her bag and produced wrapped sandwiches. Kris had decided to skip lunch from the heavy breakfast the butler in his house forced him to have but Sooyoung didn't know that when she extended half a sandwich to him. He would have declined but his hand reached out on its own accord and took the offered bread.

To drag out his time with her? Kris didn't understand except he wanted to know more about this person. So he took his first bite of the (surprisingly good) sandwich and chewed slowly, waiting for her to speak. As the silence dragged out, Kris once again stunned himself. "Why are you here?"

"I can't?" She chuckled, the first sandwich gone as she unwrapped the second one, "But I get what you mean. Why aren't I with people? Because I don't belong. I'm not close enough to be included in any of the clique but I get by fine enough that I have my connection here and there, just not deep enough. Like you, I don't mind being alone."

Kris hasn't expect this. Her not fitting in, like him. But Kris chose not to blend in with everyone, unlike back in Vancouver where he was, more or less, in the popular crowd he'd tagged Sooyoung in here. Kris had observed her interaction with their classmates, had noted that people easily gravitate to her even when she claimed not to belong. He'd heard them invite her along for lunch and had automatically deduced that she'd agree. All the chances she had, she blew it off.

It was her choice not to fit in, Kris realized.

"I like my alone time, Kris. Being stuck to a group for too long often result in a loss of privacy. And you must berate me for annoying you every day when I clearly understand how you feel, don't you? It's just that I feel it's a little childish of you to be a brat just because you're only here for a year. Why not make this a little more fun than fill it with emptiness? I won't ask why you're being forced into this but I just feel it's a waste for you." Stuffing the last of her bread (when did she even start on the third?!) in , Sooyoung gathered the rubbish and came to her feet.

"It's no fun sulking like that, Kris." She grinned and with a quick wave, was on her way.

Kris flopped onto his back, his peaceful break was now filled with questions to ponder with a certain female in the centre of this confusion.

 

 

Kris didn't want to admit this but Sooyoung was right. It was better blending in than being so adamant on staying the outcast. He'd started out small, by returning random greetings from those who bothered, to the approval of a beaming Sooyoung. Rather than mock him, as he'd thought she would, Sooyoung was a stepping stone in his attitude change with encouragements hanging on her lips and Kris found himself imitating Sooyoung unknowingly.

To be a part of things, yet not exactly.

It'd become a habit to hang out with Sooyoung by the deserted basketball court during lunch break, where she'd always have something extra for the Kris who'd just-so-happen to not get any food for himself. Sooyoung was too easy-going to harp on that and Kris was silently thankful. He'd had come to treasure his time with Sooyoung where she'd dropped little hints about herself that Kris would silently store for his own reference in piecing the girl Sooyoung truly is; the girl whom he'd come to love.

But time accelerates when one's enjoying themselves too much.

And before he knew it, they were graduating. Kris had looked forward to this day ever since he'd been transferred over to Korea, but that was the rebellious Kris. Now, he could only wish for time to slow as he watched a smirking Sooyoung run over to him with arms wide open as he easily catch the slim beauty in his embrace, as he'd gotten used to over time.

"Congratulations, Kris!" She yelled over the noise of the graduating crowd before handing her camera to the passing-by Yoona. It was the universal action for their photos to be taken and the latter only smile as she prepares them.

Kris knew that this was his only chance to get a solid memory of her, and that alone was enough to spur him on as he wrapped an arm around her waist to pull her close against him. "1,2,3, cheese!" Yoona prompted, catching both female off-guard when Kris pressed his lips against Sooyoung's cheeks.

Yoona was the first to react when she laughed, returning the camera to an unmoving Sooyoung before patting him on the shoulder, "Smooth one".

Knowing he'd garnered too much attention from that unsuspecting move (and Kris knew he'd his own fanclub after warming up to the others), he dragged the dazed girl to their usual place away from prying eyes.

"I'm sorry Soo, it's just that I'm leaving tonight and I just... I love you." He blurted in a rush, feeling his face heat up.

"I... I know you do and yes I love you too but warn me, will you?" Her reaction was not any he'd expected when she sighed and lightly patted on his cheek. "I won't be sending you off tonight. You'll be okay, won't you?"

It was his turn to be dumbfounded at her reaction and could only chalk it up to one conclusion. Sooyoung saw him only as a friend and nothing more. Kris wasn't anyone special like she was to him. Unclenching his fist, Kris was almost proud of how calm he was when he placed the small black box in her palm and left her standing there without looking back. Kris boarded his plane that night with a whole lot of anger but he left without any attachment holding him back.

 

 

 

As he'd expected, his father had reserved a place for him in the company and within a week, Kris was now the executive manager overlooking imports and exports. And as Kris had predict, the glares he'd gotten from the older employees were ruthless but he was used to judgemental gazes in his life and couldn't be bothered with them. All Kris had to do was prove his worth of the position and prove he did in the probation month that he'd taken over. Kris had spent days familiarizing himself with the business structure, overlooking future plans and altering agreement policies that further benefit the company. Those nights he'd lost sleep over was worth it when Kris had, more or less, won the approval of his subordinates that he wouldn't have to spent unnecessary time correcting those purposeful mistakes. The workload he had, though heavy, suited him just fine. He was busy enough every day, tired enough every night that he didn't have free time to think of her.

And because he was so intent of working his life away, Kris was a puddle of flabbergasted mess when Minseok introduced the new assistant (that they hired to make sure the company doesn't get sued for overworking their employee) that will be working alongside him.

It felt just like yesterday when he'd last saw her. Those large expressive eyes, high cheekbones and lips that were forever tilted more up than down that he's come to associate uniquely to Sooyoung. Kris thought, for a moment, he was back in Korea as the girl stood before him clad in customary office wear and had her eyes not sparkle with mischief, Kris would have thought she didn't recognize him when a mellow voice greeted, "Good morning, Mr.Wu. I'm Choi Sooyoung and would be your assistant starting today. Please give me your guidance."

"Kris?" Minseok nudged at his side to wipe off that blank look he had on his face. Kris wondered if he was glaring and shook his head when he saw her bit at her lips. Sooyoung was holding in her laughter and all Kris wanted to do was either kiss her silly or yell at her till those ears bleed.

Getting over the formal introduction with Minseok around was a hassle but when his friend finally left, Kris turned to the girl roaming around the room and did what he wanted to do since he left Korea. He grabbed the girl from the back and held her tight against him.

"What the hell is going on?" He muttered against the crown of her head, feeling soft hand clinging against his forearms.

"You confessed to me and suddenly turned cold after leaving a ring with me before flying off all without listening to my explanation, how do you think you'd know what the hell is going on? Kris, if you weren't such a pig head, you would have known I'd be working in this company after I graduate. And if you'd stayed long enough to listen, you'd also have known that Minseok is the friend of yours, who also happens to be my childhood friend, who contacted me when you're told to transfer over to Korea. He was the one who told me to take care of you and also got me the right position to be in." Sooyoung pulled away from him and took at seat by his chair.

"I... You didn't say anything! And what took you so long?!" That was his best retort and even Kris knew it was beyond childish.

Sooyoung gave him a look that clearly told him he was a retard before answering, "I had to pack, spent quality time with my family and wait for my visa to arrive. You think I had connections like you to get everything done in a jiffy?" She huffed and found herself once again in Kris's arms, the warmth of his body a reassurance to her, who's new to everything.

The couple stayed in that position, quietly absorbing the presence of each other before Sooyoung broke contact once again as she dug into her pocket and pulled out a very familiar ring. "So what's with this? You expect me to put it on myself?"

A predatory grin spread across his lips when he snatched the small jewellery away from her.

Choi Sooyoung didn't know how she'd just willingly offered herself to the lion's den, bound and preyed on for the rest of her life.