I knew you were like me

Dance Form

 

Jongin was confident of what he can do and when he has an interest in something, he makes sure he gives in his best and comes out as the top few. It wasn't something one can cultivate in days or months. Jongin sweated and bleed for years to gain what he has today and whenever the questions of nerves pops up, Jongin would be the only one that shook his head. They took that as over-confidence and some thought him as arrogant. He couldn't be too bothered with what they think because he knew what those years of training and practicing have given birth to and Jongin was too used to doing his best to ever fret even if it was to gain an entry into the top few dance school.

"Kim Jong In?" A mellow, refined voice called and Jongin casually stretched his limbs. Without looking, he knew it was her who'd called his name. The female among the judges that everyone were gossiping about. The female who was a new addition to the panel this year who doesn't looked anything beyond mid-twenty. Her unaltered youth was what stirred jealousy within the auditioning crowd, since the judges has an age of forty-three on the average, and gained some very unprofessional performance from those who thought underhand money and actions could gain them entry.

Shrugging his jacket off, Jongin took center stage and ignored all judgmental stares from the clusters of people behind him, his focus solely on the panel of waiting judging; specifically her. "Whenever you're ready." Her smile was impersonal, her gaze anything but, the moment music floods the room and Jongin's body took on a life of its own. The years has disciplined his body into a flexible bent of supple muscles and Jongin knew how his graceful bodyline could catch the attention of anyone who spoke dance. But it was his movements, powerful yet elegant, sharp yet smooth, quick yet precise, that had them moving to the edge of his seat while he created his spell on them, showing them his world. It wasn't just his body doing the trick, Jongin's expression played its part to seduce, antagonize, allure and though it was all for the audition, Jongin for once truly gave his all in the hooded gaze he directed at her, keeping his focus on the young female as he spun in circles for his ending move. As his body came to a stop, muscles lightly burning from the movements he'd taken it through, his gaze caught hers once more; those stunningly direct eyes that has never once broke from him during his dance performance.

"Thank you, Kim Jong In. We'll contact you again when you've been selected." Again, her words and action was aloof despite their clash of eyes and with a bow, he retreated to collect his belongings. Jongin left the audition room for the general office where he left the school with a name in his mind. Choi Soo Young.

 

"Congratulations in getting into the academy. Since you're the only one specializing in ballet and jazz, I'll be your mentor in this duration of training camp." Jongin barely concealed his surprise when his mentor entered the room.

Without the make-up and formal clothes, Choi Sooyoung looked like any other student who attends the school and Jongin would have underestimated her talent had he not looked up on her profile prior to coming. He believes in being prepared and knowing what he's stepping into.

"Thank you." He mumbled, noting how the sunlight streaming from the window brings out the variation of browns in her hair. With introduction out of the way, Sooyoung got them started on warm-ups before going into the complex movements that Jongin had to admit even he has trouble executing. This is why his previous teacher wanted him to try out for this school, to bring him further into the world of dance. As Sooyoung guided him through the movement once again, correcting postures and angle, Jongin noted how she does it with ease. An ease that came with a price, he was sure as hours later he still had trouble mimicking the same movement.

"We'll take a break Jongin." Sooyoung  shot him a look of understanding, handing him a bottle of water as she sat across him. Jongin muttered his thanks, wiping the sweat off his face  while chucking water down his dehydrated body. Ballet can be soft and graceful to an onlooker but the dancers knew how sweaty and bloody it could get despite the high-class appearance it gives.

"Just call me Sooyoung. I'm only older than you by four years. Calling me teacher makes me feel really old.  I'm sure you must be wondering why am I a teacher when I'm almost the same age as you? I'm aware of the opinions I garnered that day. Want to listen to my boring tale?" Sooyoung chuckled when he nodded.

"You're a special one, Jongin. Many would love to know what's with me and here you are, seeming to be the last person to want to know. Have you heard of Summer Choi, the one they termed 'child prodigy' in ballet at age ten? I was that kid so you can guess how I ended in this spot at my age." Sooyoung closed her introduction, skipping the reason that she'd disappeared in the ballet scene at fifteen to reappear here again six years later.

Jongin didn't want to pry much since they barely knew each other well enough. Her anticipating gaze told him it was his turn. "I'm not as exposed as you, neither am I any prodigy. I just love dancing since I was eight and have been practicing hard since then. Dance eventually became my form of reprieve and the core of who I am. It was my ballet teacher that suggested for me to try out in this school and here I am."

Jongin wondered about what her smile mean before she got him up and practicing once again. Dusk came faster than he'd anticipated(yet he could barely get his form right) and Jongin was about to request to stay behind for more practice when Sooyoung was quick to shake her head at him. "No, Jongin. Go home, let your body rest and eat. Eating is important to keep you going. You don't have to worry about doing this right now. We have plenty of time. Now don't be stubborn, let's go."

Jongin didn't expect for Sooyoung to fetched him home that night.

 

That was their routine for the week, where they spent their days practicing and Sooyoung'd fetch him home at night, usually after treating him to dinner. Sooyoung is someone who more than meet the eye, with a frail looking physique but her gut was far from weak. Jongin had come to respect the girl as his mentor when she was quick to point out  small little mistake that altered his form in subtle ways. Sooyoung rarely raise her voice but it was at moment where her voice turns dangerously quite when she correct him does Jongin truly focus on what she meant and conform to the perfect posture they seek. Jongin doesn't berate her for that; Sooyoung knew what she was doing and what was expected of him. Anyone who'd seen her dance would have readily paid attention and gave her an automatic respect, something Jongin experienced on their second day of training. To him, Sooyoung wasn't just 'the child prodigy' that he'd initially termed her but his mentor, someone who he'd willingly learn from and carefully listen to. She was flawless, completely in her element the moment music filled the room and Jongin believed Sooyoung was born for dancing. She don't only have the talent, Sooyoung was the epitome of ballet if Jongin had to describe her.

"Why can't I get this?"Jongin dropped down on the floor on their last day of training, the burn of his toes, thighs and arms prominent. Compared to his exhausted state, Sooyoung only look winded as she strode over to where he sat, tapping a ice cold energy drink against his cheek.

"Rest. I knew you were like me from the start of the audition when I saw you walking in clad in that loose black hoodie. You won't be able to dance the perfect form as quickly as others. But it's nothing to worry about."Her smile was relaxed enough that Jongin flopped back on the floor, limbs sprawled in all direction.

"Why did you suddenly disappear?" Jongin felt the massage on his leg froze before it continued as before.

"Having a title like that isn't exactly fun or fame-worthy. I've always been a kid who liked to do things in my own style. I hated the restriction that ballet give. Ironic that I'm teaching it but that's how it was for me. When they wanted me to take on the world stage, I crumbled. I couldn't handle the stress and I knew I wouldn't be who they wanted me to be in the short time frame. Jongin, I told you that we're similar in our dance style. We can both attain perfect forms and do it with more flair than others. But we need time because our character dictates for us to find our own style. You have much potential Jongin, and you may even go further than me. I don't have the discipline to go through with what others want, so I left." Giving his limbs a final squeeze, Sooyoung stood up and grabbed at him.

"I want you to strip of everything I taught you and follow with whatever form your body goes with. Do a duet dance with me, Jongin." Her request stunned him but when she grinned at him, the ones she'd show when they were out for dinner, Jongin nodded. Sooyoung was asking as a friend, not his mentor.

So when the music played, Jongin finally understood what Sooyoung meant. When Sooyoung followed through with what everyone expected, Jongin thought she was perfect. But without rules, Jongin finally saw Sooyoung's dance and if possible, she was better. When there was nothing to compare with, nothing to mold into, Jongin had always found an ease in his dance; a form that he knew was his best. Without restriction, Sooyoung was like a fairy fluttering around him with movements surreal yet beautiful, crafting her own imagery to the movements she made. Jongin hadn't realize how he'd stopped dancing altogether just to stare at her, his eyes capturing every bit of her movements; memorizing every steps.

When the music stopped and the spell was broken, Jongin only continued to stare at her. He truly understand why she was a prodigy at dancing now. That was a show no one could ever replicate but the creator herself. Her form, as she'd advice him to, wasn't perfect yet her dance was exceedingly so. If dance could come alive, Sooyoung just did justice to her own. "Don't look at me like that Jongin. You were able to match up with me till halfway where you suddenly looked so awed and you stopped altogether. You know how it's like for us, people who could weave dance only when we control it and not having been controlled by it."

Jongin had thought his attraction to Sooyoung was from the mystery that surrounds her status and his obsession about her background only fuels his desire to know more about her. Yet in the course of the week with her, Jongin's need to understand more of who Choi Sooyoung is has deviated from just digging up information to get closer to a prodigy to something more. Jongin could say he's interested as a friend but... it's more than that.

"Sooyoung, how about another round?" Jongin suggested. Sooyoung'd said they were similar in the way they dance; that they create a story uniquely theirs, so as he took her hand and led her in a frenzy chase of movements, Jongin poured what he couldn't express in words into his dance.

And in return, Sooyoung complied with them ending up in each other's arms, lips fused as the music fades to the back of their mind.