Under the Moonlit Night

Kiss Me

Before you read this, I would like to suggest a song for you to put on repeat while reading this, and that song will be Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer.

~*~

In a darkened room during the early months of winter, a 17 year old was lying asleep in her single bed clutching her teddy bear as her mind was filled with different memories, thoughts, and wishes. Having only been asleep for 4 hours, Krystal was soon awoken from her slumber by a tapping sound. While she had told herself it was nothing and that she should just return to sleep, the sound continued till it drove the girl to get out of bed and investigate. Before she could even get past her bed though, she heard the sound again, this time coming from the window. With brows furrowed in curiosity, Krystal walked over to the window to see who was making that sound. As soon as she made it over, her eyes were met with a familiar figure down below holding some pebbles in their hand, the thing that was the cause of the mysterious noise. 

 

The figure down below gave her a wide smirk before motioning with their head as if to ask if she wanted to come along. With an eager nod of her head and a wide toothy smile on her face as she let out a light breathy chuckle, Krystal quickly moved away from the window to get dressed. After she was done and grabbed her jacket, she opened the window and climb out, the cold air hitting her face and body making her shiver slightly as she carefully made her way down to the figure. When her feet had finally met with the greenish-brown grass, she looked up with a smile at the person who got her out there in the first place.

 

"Hey."

 

"Hey yourself," The signature smirk on Amber's face as she replied, her breath turning to mist in the night air. "So....you up for a late night adventure?"

 

"Wouldn't be a night without one." 

 

"Good, cause I've got a surprise for you." 
 

"A surprise? What is it?" Krystal asked eagerly. It was the first time Amber had included a surprise in their late night adventures. 
 

"Just follow me." Amber chuckled, taking a hand out of her sweater pocket and reaching out to take hold of Krystal's own. 
 

When Amber had reached for her hand, the all-too-familiar sparks exploded beneath her now cold hands, quickly warming them up and making her heart skip a beat. She never told Amber this, but she had had a crush on her for some time now. The two had been best friends since middle school, and while they promised they'd always be friends and be there for each other, Krystal's feelings had grown into something more over the years. One day she had just looked at Amber and saw something in her, something different. It was as if she was looking at her for the first time, noticing little things here and there that she hadn't before. And while she had been dying to tell Amber how she felt, she didn't for the fear of losing their friendship and because she was sure the other girl didn't see her in that way. 
 

"Hey, you okay, Krys?" Amber asked as she looked over at Krystal. It appeared that the girl had been spacing out a bit. 
 

"O-Oh yeah, I'm fine."
 

Having been best friends for years, Amber knew her better than to believe that. She wasn’t falling for it.
 

"Is it your parents again?" 
 

Krystal sighed, after all those years she should have known better than to lie to Amber. It was impossible to hide things from her, especially things that bothered the 17 year old. 
 

"Yeah. It's like with each passing day their fights worsen," She admitted with a sigh, her eyes still looking ahead of her. "Day by day things just get worse. Now their fighting almost every second about the littlest of things, about nobody should or even cares about. If dad forgets to hang up his coat, there's a fight. If mom lowers the volume on the TV when he's either on the sofa or away, there's a fight. It’s sickening!" 
 

For the past several months, Krystal's parent's marriage had hit a rock. Having been together for years on end, things were starting to head downhill and Krystal had taken notice to it. Her parents were too busy fighting though to actually notice that their arguments were starting to affect their daughter. Luckily though, she had Amber. She told her everything that was going on and the girl had been a really big help at giving her advice on how to cope with everything. 
 

"!" Was all Amber could say. 
 

"I know! Sometimes I just want to run downstairs and tell them to shut the up, to grow up already and stop fighting over stupid like a bunch of ing babies! Then there's time I wish it would just stop, or that I'd go deaf! Anything just to make it stop!" 
 

"I'm sorry Krys," Amber replied with an apologetic look. "I wish there was something I could do to make things better for you." 
 

"No, you've done enough already. The sleepovers at your house and the emotional support is good enough for me." She admitted with a smile as she looked over at the other girl. She wouldn't tell Amber that sometimes she listened to her parent’s arguments to see if she'd finally hear the slap she had been anticipating for the longest time now. She knew that alone would be enough for Amber to never let her return home, luckily though that hadn't happened....yet. As bad as it sounded, she still felt it would eventually come.


"Well, I'm glad I could help," The girl squeezed Krystal's hand as she said this. "I hate seeing you this way, but if being by your side is what you want, then I'm not going anywhere." 
 

"Thanks Amber, I'm glad I can always count on you."
 

"Don't mention it. Now come on, I still haven't shown you your surprise yet." Amber smiled before she pulled Krystal along.
 

With a giggle, Krystal allowed herself to be pulled to wherever it was that Amber was taking her. She tried to ignore the blush on her face and the deafening sound of her loud pattering heart beat as she realized that Amber had yet to let her hand go. She didn't mind it at all though, any type of physical contact with Amber was enough for her. It was the times she couldn't touch her that drove her mad. 
 

"So what's this surprise for?" She asked as she looked over at Amber.
 

"It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you now would it?" The elder shook her head with a light chuckle. 
 

"Oh come on Am, you know how I am with surprises!" 
 

"Exactly! That's why I'm not going to tell you what it is." 
 

Krystal pouted at the words of Amber. She wanted to know what her surprise was, wanted to know right away than have to wait. When it came to surprises, whether in the same day or a month away, it was impossible for the 17 year old to wait and not ask for some hints. 
 

As time went on, the girls continued on their journey, passing many of the trees in the small forests that covered the countryside they called home. The conversations on their way there consisted of many different things, from homework all the way to what kind of weather they hoped would be tomorrow. Then before they knew it, they were there.
 

"We're here." Krystal heard Amber say, stopping her from continuing her sentence. 
 

"We are? But all I see are trees." The girl said with furrowed brows as she looked at Amber as if she had three heads. 
 

They were standing at the side of the road surrounded by nothing but trees and moonlight. In-between the trees were darkness, making Krystal's eyes play tricks on her. She would be lying if she said she wasn't scared and thought that her best friend was going to get the both of them killed if they walked through those trees. 
 

Amber had noticed Krystal's fear and hesitation. She gave the other girl's hand a reassuring squeeze before saying, "I've got you." 
 

Krystal nodded and made sure to stay close to Amber, the words replaying in her mind, reminding her that she wasn't alone and that Amber would never let anything happen to her. She watched as her best friend pulled out a flashlight and turn it on before making the first step toward the home of the wild trees. From there on Krystal mimicked Amber's steps, looking around from time to time whenever she heard an eerie sound, wondering if a serial killer was going to pop out and kill them. But every time she did this, all Amber did was pull her closer with a light laugh before continuing on. 
 

As they continued on, another eerie noise reached Krystal's ears and she jumped. 
 

"Amber, I think we should just go back!" She cried frantically, hoping the other girl would agree without question or argument. "I'm scared some psycho might jump out and get us!"
 

"Krys, would you relax? Nothing is going to happen to us." Amber chuckled with a smirk. "I've been her a billion times, plus we're almost there."
 

"S-So....no psychos?" 
 

"No psychos, I promise you."  
 

Krystal nodded a bit skeptically, only partially convinced. Amber saw this and quickly stepped up to change that. 
 

"Didn't I tell you that I've got you? I told you....I won't let anything happen to or harm you. Do you trust me?" 
 

Hesitation was quickly removed from the scene once Amber had asked that question. 
 

"Of course I do! You're the only person I trust."
 

"Then trust me to get you there safely, okay?"
 

"Okay." 
 

With another smile tossed her way by Amber, she stood close and followed the other girl. Several minutes later, Amber had stopped.
 

"Why'd you stop?" Krystal asked curiously.
 

"We're here."
 

"You said that before."
 

"No, I mean we're actually here." Amber smiled, quickly looking over at Krystal before shinning the flashlight on an old tree house in front of them. 
 

The moment Krystal saw the tree house, her eyes lit up and a gasp escaped her lips. She had never seen one in person, in movies maybe, but never had she seen or been in one in person. 
 

"This is the place I run to when things get tough. I spent hours and days in this place when I needed refuge after my escape.....and now I'm sharing it with you." She smiled and looked over at Krystal.
 

"Oh my god! Really, Amber?" 

 

"Yup! I figured with everything going on at home, you'd need a place to escape beside your bedroom. A place where the shouting turns into the sounds of nature." 


"Oh my god! Thank you so much!" Krystal wrapped her arms around Amber and gave her a big hug. This really meant a lot to her. It was the most someone had ever done for her. 
 

"Come on, let's go inside." 
 

Krystal nodded and followed Amber up there. When they had finally reached the top, Amber clicked on the lights. Since this was the place she stood at for more than an hour, she stole a couple Christmas tree lights from home and a small generator to keep the lights on. It took awhile for her to get it working, but when it did it was the most accomplished she felt in years. Even though it had no heating, the lights were enough to keep her warm along with the sheets and blankets she brought along with her. It wasn't the most perfect of places, but it was for her and it was enough. To her, it was home. 
 

"Wow! This is amazing, Amber!" Krystal chuckled in astonishment as she looked around and up at the lights. "You did all this?"
 

"Yup, all me! I even made a hatch so I can stargaze at night." She pointed upwards to the wooden hatch that was open as the moonlight shined down at them. 
 

"Wow! This.....this is perfect!" She said softly as she looked at Amber. "You're the best friend a person could ask for."
 

"Ditto." 
 

Krystal couldn't help it, she walked over and engulfed Amber into a hug, burying her face into the crook of the girl's neck. She wanted to show her appreciation for what Amber had done for her, at how thankful so was. She felt that words weren't enough and she had to show Amber how she felt. 
 

"Thank you....for everything," She said, her voice muffled. "Most friends would have bailed on me, but you stood by my side. Thank you so much for that." 
 

Words could not explain how lucky she felt to have Amber in her life. She never knew someone more kind and caring and thoughtful than Amber. It was as if she had made it her job to cater to Krystal's wishes, to be the one to make her laugh when she was down, smile when she was sad, and find even newer ways to surprise her. One thing Krystal loved about Amber was that even after all these years she could still surprise her. Her spontaneousness had never faulted over the years; it only made it easier for her to be surprised by Amber. And that was why Krystal had noticed slowly but surely that she was falling in love with Amber. There was just no denying it, and she honestly didn't want to.


"There's no need to thank me, it's what friends do. Me and you against the world remember?" Amber hugged Krystal closer, her arms wrapped around the other girl in an almost possessive and protective way. 
 

When they finally pulled apart, their smiles had reached each other before they let out soft laughs. That special moment had quickly passed and it was now time to have some fun.
 

"So Princess, what should we do now?" Amber asked with a laugh.
 

"Hmm, well servant, I order you to turn the radio on and bring me a blanket." Krystal replied in a snobby English accent, though laughing at how ridiculous she sounded. 
 

"Your wish is my command m'lady." Bowed Amber before she went to turn on the radio and get Krystal a blanket.
 

The 17 year old let out a laugh as she watched Amber do all that she asked. Once the radio was and the blanket was set on the floor, the girls spent their time talking about more things. They both wondered what they were going to do when they left high school and what college they would go to. They even wondered if they were going to be able to see each other again if they ever went to different schools, and it was times like that that made the sadness in Krystal's heart grow at how Amber would never know how she felt about her. Maybe that would be left for another time in history or another universe? Suddenly, the song on the radio had changed to a song both girls favored.
 

Krystal suddenly sat up and looked over at the radio as she said, "I love this song!"
 

Amber soon followed and looked at Krystal, "You do?" 
 

"Yes, it's one of my favorites!"
 

"It is? M-Mine too." 
 

Krystal's smile widened when she heard that, she never knew that song was Amber's favorite. She guessed that two people could be friends for ages and still learn something new about each other, or maybe that was just Amber's spontaneous nature? 
 

"I never knew that."
 

"Well, now you know." Amber shrugged with a soft smirk.
 

The two sat there listening to the song for a little until Amber looked over at Krystal and asked, "D-Do you....want to dance?"
 

Krystal quickly turned to look over at Amber, a surprised look on her face at hearing those words, her heart skipping a beat as if to trick her into thinking she heard that inside of something else. 
 

"Y-You want me to dance with you?" 
 

"Yeah. Come on." Amber held out her right hand and gestured to the floor with her head.
 

A smile appeared on Krystal's face once it was confirmed that she heard that correctly. Nodding her head, she took the hand offered to her and followed Amber to the middle of the tree house. She wrapped her arms around the other girl's neck as Amber did the same with Krystal's waist. They stood there dancing to the music as it continued to play.


Kiss me out of the bearded barley
Nightly, beside the green, green grass
Swing, swing, swing the spinning step
You wear those shoes and I will wear that dress.

 

Oh, kiss me beneath the milky twilight
Lead me out on the moonlit floor
Lift your open hand
Strike up the band and make the fireflies dance
Silver moon's sparkling
So kiss me


Amber turned Krystal around before returning back to their previous position. They stood there looking into each other's eyes as the song continued to play. Krystal could feel her heart racing and her cheeks turning pink with blush. They had never been in each other’s personal space or in an intimate position before besides when they hugged or sat close together. This time though, it was different, this kind of closeness was different and they could both feel it. 
 

Kiss me down by the broken tree house
Swing me upon its hanging tire
Bring, bring, bring your flowered hat
We'll take the trail marked on your father's map

 

The two said nothing as they listened to the music, repeating their steps, relishing in the special moment that had been placed upon them. 
 

Oh, kiss me beneath the milky twilight
Lead me out on the moonlit floor
Lift your open hand
Strike up the band and make the fireflies dance
Silver moon's sparkling

 

Krystal was once again turned around before her arms wrapped themselves around Amber's neck again, and suddenly after the many years they had been friends, Amber leaned in and finally kissed Krystal on the lips. It took the other girl by surprised but she kissed back, ecstatic that her feelings had been returned. Inside, the girls could feel something changing, something good that made them fill up with warmth. What they didn’t know though was that from now on things would be different, and that feeling they felt was the worlds they had built up around them to escape their real life hardship colliding for the first time in the many years they had known each other. From now on, no matter how many nights Krystal’s parents fought or Amber’s father drank, they would be untouchable. They were now untouchable and out of reach from the nasty grip of negativity that had previously surrounded them. From now on, things were going to be different and changing for the better good. After living in a world full of uncertainty and negativity, one thing that was for sure and positive: that their love was going to withstand every obstacle that came their way and come out the winner because their love was everlasting.  
 

So kiss me….

 

~*~

I know, go ahead and say it: I’m a horrible author for posting this instead of Confession or Cracked. I’m so sorry I’ve been away you guys, it’s just real life stuff has been very time consuming and I want Cracked to be special since you’ve all been waiting for so long. As for Confession, once Cracked is out the way I will promise to get back to it. Anyways, this little oneshot I wrote at 2:30 in the morning last night after listening to Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer. There was something about the song that just started up my muse again and brought this little thing out of me. Now I know it’s not perfect, but I felt you guys deserved a bit of G-rated Kryber since I’ve been slacking on my author duties like always. Plus I also said I’d one day make another non-M rated story, so here it is and I hope you enjoyed it. I promise you guys that Cracked is coming soon, I swear to you. All I have to do is edit it and it should be posted very soon, thanks so much for waiting and putting up with me, you’re the best!

Stay tuned.