Best Friend

A Best Friend, That's All I'll Ever Be

 

A smile crept from the side of my lips as I stare at a familiar girl from a distance. Her milky white skin was glowing so brightly because of the moonlight and her face looks so serene and peaceful, just like an angel's. Her short black dress shows her perfect figure very well and her blonde curly hair makes her stand out even more. As usual, she had a bright expression on her face and she was smiling directly back at me. 

It's twelve in the midnight when I received a phone call from her. Paranoia came over my system and I didn't hesitate to waste another second as I dash over to her house. As soon as she saw me, she hurriedly ran over to me and gave me a tight hug. I embraced her back. 

"Doo-joo-niee" she mutterred with a shaky voice as she clutch onto the hem of my shirt. "H-hyukjae, h-he..." 

I pulled her into my arms and caressed her hair, hoping that my simple gesture can at least comfort her and let her know that I'll be here and thankfully she did. 

Five, that's how old I am when I first saw Kim Hyoyeon. I can still remember the whole detail of our first meeting so clearly, it was in the middle of the summer season, some time in April. I was happily running around playing soccer with my friends when the ball suddenly rolled over in one of my neightbor's backyard. My original plan was to just sneak in quietly and take the ball back but when I was suppose to leave, I noticed a girl silently sitting by the tree house reading a children's book with a jumble of snacks on her right side. I climbed up the tree house without any other thoughts and we've been best friends ever since I approached her and said

"Can I have a gummy bear?" 

 I was really nervous back then because it was my first time ever attempting to talk to a girl but all that anxiousness faded the moment she looked up and smiled to me with a reply, "Sure, but please don't take the green ones, they're my favourite." 

 

That tree house in her backyard became something really special for us because that's where we established a strong friendship with each other. Somehow, ever since that day I found myself always looking up to every after school days just because of the thought of seeing her and offering her, her favourite gummy bears and hanging out together. I even forgot about playing soccer with my other guy friends because I made it a priority to hang out with her instead.

"Promise me you won't bring anyone else here?" I asked.

She chuckled a bit. "Promise" 

I held out her pinky in the air. "Pinky swear?"

She locked her pinky with mines. "Pinky swear.

We were eight when we both vowed to each other to keep that treehouse as our secret hiding place and we kept that pinky promise throughout these years. That treehouse became our very own cozy place. Of course, we've shared so much there... Most of our deepest thoughts and special memories were told in that same spot where we first encountered each other during that one faithful summer day... We've talked about our worries about our high school application entrees, our first high school dance, my first failure in Math, her dance performances, my family problems and her break-ups.

See, the funny thing is, I've never had any problems with a girl or break-ups before. Because an ex-girlfriend, or a break-up would never exist to me. How can it exist? When the person I love is right beside me... The problem is, she doesn't know it yet, because in her eyes I'll always remain as her best friend. And that's how I'll always be. 

 She always tells me how she can never find the right guy. At first, there was Junho, her first boyfriend ever, he was the star basketball player at our old high school. He was strong, athletic and a girl magnet. Eight months later, he was accepted in a university in the States and he quickly dumped Hyoyeon. Then, there was Key- 4 months later, we found out that he was gay. Hah! That was awkward. I don't know how Hyoyeon got caught into this kind of situation but somehow, she ended up dating Jessica, the school's queenka during our first year in freshmen. There's also Onew... that was a fun one! He was a goofy nerd guy. Come on! Him, over me? And last but not the least, the mighty heartbreaker Lee Hyukjae... Hyoyeon dated him for two years. The worst two years of my life. I had to hear about every fight and every arguments they had. I'm pretty accurate they fought more than they ever got along. He was an who completely did everything wrong and he even went around cheating on her from one girl to another. But I guess, Hyoyeon loves him too much to let go. 

She would always talk which seemed like for hours... But then again, that's just her. Every time they'd have a fight, I'd always be there to comfort her and tell her that everything will be okay. She talked about how Hyukjae doesn't see her and always treats her poorly and how she feels invicible to him. But if she were with me, I can never make her feel invicible because I'd make sure that she'll feel that she's the only girl that exists in my world. If there was anyone who was feeling invincible, that has to be me.

I guess in every friendship which involves two opposite genders, there will come when one of the two will fall for the other or maybe even both. Unfortunately for my case, I was the one who fell into that kind of trap... I don't know how but I guess along our friendship, I just started falling for her. The way she talks, the way she laughs, the way she smiles, the way she flips her hair, I just love everything about her. I was hoping we were going to get married because I was always the one she can rely on.

"Doo Joon-sshi" a voice called.

I shot my head up and right at that moment, I saw a silhoutte of a familiar guy climbing down from the treehouse with a gummy smile plastered on his face. He was wearing a formal outfit, very similar to Hyo's and his hair was combed down just as he usually does it. He continued to walk to our direction and as soon as he got there, he stood beside Hyo's and lace his fingers with hers. 

My blood was boiling with a mixture of shock and anger. What happened to our promise not to bring anyone else other than me in that tree house? Did she completely set me aside? I felt betrayed but at the same time, I can't help but to pity myself. How can I hold on to a promise we made when we were still kids? Were twenty-one now, of course she would have forgotten about it. I'm just the idiot here, holding onto every single memory we both had. While she, on the other side is busy thinking of another guy. 

"Doojoon-sshi, Hyoyeon and I are getting married" Hyukjae announced to me as he held onto my shoulder.

That was it! Every hope and every aspiration of being with her ended right there. The future that I saw of us was gone. She's going to be married with a man, who unfortunately isn't me. 

"You're going to be my best man right?" I heard her asked.

I've always thought that I was that one guy, the one she was always looking for. To me I'm the one for her, but for her, I'm just a friend she can rely on with everything. I've always loved her but I can never let her know because I've always wanted to make her happy. I guess, that's the difference between the cool guys and the guy best friends, while they are out there breaking girls hearts, we were always there mending them back up. Just to let the same guys, break them all over again. Although I'm unsure if Hyukjae can take care of her properly nor treat her better than I do, I know how strong Hyoyeon's love is for him and I can't afford to see her get another heartbreak because of me. So I had no choice but to give them my blessings, no matter how much I'm hurting inside. It just isn't fair but it's part of nature. It's just how it went... I've always wanted to tell her so much of what I feel, but I love her too much to ruin what we had...

I looked at her in the eyes and flash her my best smile, hoping that my acting would be good enough to keep her mind in peace.

"Yes, for sure..." I replied.