The Prince & The Witch (Part 1)

The Prince & The Witch: Fairy Tales Retelling

 

 

“Kris”

 

The witch said to the prince as soon as he woke up the next day.

 

“From now on, your name is Kris.”

She grinned inches away from the prince because they actually slept together – no, not that kind of slept together – they just shared the bed.

 

The prince groaned, tossed in the bed before settling with burying his face into pillow and slipping his exposed limbs under the blanket again. The bed was way too small (they even had to share bed), not fluffy enough, making too much noises, pillows and blankets lack in both quality and quantity and the room temperature was not to his imperial liking at all. His legs were still tired from last night walking, his back aches from the uncomfortable bed, his neck cramped from the uncomfortable sleeping position and the early morning cold air crawled up his skin. In short, he was still not ready to start the day yet, especially with such ridiculous matter.

 

“Are you ignoring me?”

The prince basically could hear the girl pouted but he ignored it. He needed his beauty sleep.

 

“Wake up!” she shook the male beside her but didn’t get any respond. She continued the attempts with a few different disturbing methods.

 

“What do you want?” The prince finally gave up his sleep when the ‘wake up calls’ was getting annoying.

 

“Hehe… Kris, let’s breakfast together today” her face broke into that dazzling smile again regardless the fact that she was currently on top of the male.

 

“Why are you on top of me?” he finally realized.

“Stop being so grumpy. Get up now.” she patted his before she got off the bed and pulled the blanket that was covering the male away. The prince tried to pull back the fluffy textile, but it suddenly disappeared under his grip. Then, his head bumped onto the mattress when his pillow disappeared as well.

 

“You better get up now if you don’t want your fall onto the floor.” She said cheerfully but with threaten hint as the prince saw another pillow vanished in her hands with some sparkly dust lingering in the air.

Unwillingly, he got up, rubbed his still sleepy eyes, yawned widely and stretched his tired limbs.

“It’s only seven” he complained when he picked up his watch on the night stand. The witch only giggled in reply.

“Kris, what do you want for breakfast?”

“I don’t eat breakfast and why are you calling me Kris? My name is not Kris.” The prince said as he got up from the bed and watched it disappeared when the girl touched it.

“Because from now on, you’re mine

 

Everything finally came back to him again. The witch who was currently in pajama and busy rummaged in a wardrobe, actually kidnapped him from the castle last night. It was not all on her since he had his share of agreeing indirectly but to everyone else, it seemed that way. He felt a bit longing to his luxury bed and efficient maids but he didn’t regret leaving the palace with this girl… yet.

 

“Out of so many names… Lame.” He mumbles not so discreetly.

“My name is Sulli.” She beamed and shoved a towel to the prince… or now Kris. “Now, go take a shower and we’re having breakfast outside today.”     

He looked at the girl skeptically because he was quite sure that was not her real name. But when Sulli pushed him towards the small (everything is small or not enough in his eyes) bathroom, he decided that it was not important.

 

 

***

 

 

“So, what are you going to do with me?” Kris asked during the breakfast which was only a pile of wild apples.

Sulli paused from biting apples from both of her hands and stared at the male in front of him.

 

“You know, now that we’re together… what do you need me for?”

Chewed piece of apple slipped out from her parted lips when she remained stoned.

 

“Don’t tell me you haven’t thought of that.” Kris grimaced.  

“No, I know! You’re just gonna be with me” she faked confidence.  

Kris arched his eyebrows.

“You know, like helping me with things…”

“What things?”

“You know, things like… anything… No, I mean like everything.” She decided last minute when she noticed Kris sneered. “After all, you’re mine.” She stressed.

 

“, please” Kris scoffed again and the witch said she heard that. “But seriously, what do you do on daily basis? Other than playing with your magic?”

Sulli blinked a few times before she replied, which didn’t answer the question at all. “I think I need to change you.” She bit on the red apple again.

“You’re not answering my question and change? How are you going to do that? And why?”

How is hard to explain to a commoner like you, why is because currently you are useless.” Her tone was blant but piercing on Kris’s pride nonetheless.

“I beg to differ. First I’m a Crown Prince, not a commoner and secondly I’m not useless.” He retorted.

Sulli burst into wild laughter and when it went on too long, Kris kicked the girl’s leg with flushed red face.

“Ouch, it hurts!” she yelped and kicked back. “You’re no more a prince… and you ARE useless!” She shrieked frustratedly as her short leg couldn’t reach the male.

 

“You might not know this because you live in a forest with no single civilization, but I’m the most wanted eligible bachelor in this kingdom and being a Crown Prince was only the additional point.” He folded his arms over his chest proudly.

“Dreamy bastard” Sulli mumbled under her breathe even though she made sure the other heard her. “Anyway…” she added quickly before Kris could retort, “You’re argument is invalid. No matter how skillful you think you are, you are useless to me as long as you can’t use magic.”

“Then, teach me”

“I can’t, you stupid.”

She picked up the left over apples on the table and put them into a pink sack which Kris didn’t realized it was there before… or maybe it wasn’t. Kris grabbed the one apple that was already in Sulli’s hand, took one big bite, then grabbed the other that Sulli tried to reach and bit it too even though he didn’t really fancy apples, just for the sake of annoying the girl. It was successful for Kris because the girl pouted.

 

“Magic is not something that can be acquired naturally. Witches are born with magic and human are born without magic.” She explained as she started tidying up their breakfast table. Kris took that cue to stand up too.

“So, how would you make me have magic?”

“I told you, I’m going to change you.”

“Change? Into what?”

 

The witch grinned. Even though Kris always thought Sulli’s smile was beautiful, somehow this one sent an unknown shiver down his spine. What the witch said next really made Kris thought again whether he had made the right choice of leaving the castle.

 

 

“I’m going to turn you into a dragon.”