The Price of Happiness (Part 1)

The Prince & The Witch: Fairy Tales Retelling

 

 

 

In a land of far far far far far…. And far away, there was a prosper kingdom with respected royalties. One day, the king decided that it was time for his first son, slashed crown prince to get married. Being too lazy to plan any arranged marriage or to set up dates for his son, he listened to the advisor who advised him to hold a three-night-ball like in a familiar fairytale to find a wife for his son. Similar to the fairytale, all eligible women in the country were invited.

 

 

And Cinderella of the story at that time lived on the outskirt of town, down in the poor street. Her name was Kwon Boa. She had pretty voice, could dance really well and didn’t have two evil stepsisters and a step mother. But being poor; as in really really poor, fatherless, with a sick mother and small younger siblings didn’t make her situation any better than the Cinderella in the fairytale.

 

Boa too, like any other young girls (and some old women) in the kingdom dreamt of being the Crown Prince’s wife and was dying to go to the ball. But obviously, she couldn’t. She didn’t even have any less-than-3-years-old clothes, let alone a pretty dress and furthermore, her house was far away from the castle which she couldn’t afford the journey expense. So, when the first night of the ball came, she tucked her sick mother into bed, kicked her younger siblings and told them to go to sleep, and then she sat at the porch alone and cried for her poor fate. She didn’t knew that her cries were heard by someone who was willing to help.

      

A young girl appeared in front of the crying girl out of thin air. Her skin was as white as the snow, pink lips curved into a smile, eyes shaped into crescent and her hair was pale and tousled shoulder length.

“I can help you” She said.

Boa stopped crying immediately. The mysterious girl told her to bring her a pumpkin, mice and a lizard.

Boa searched frantically for those items but was only able to obtain a lizard and a potato. When she brought those to the girl, she laughed while rolling on the floor. Boa could barely hear the girl said how stupid of her to believe that between the laughter. Before Boa could smack the girl’s head, she got up from the floor and told her she got this handled between small giggles that hadn’t died down.

The girl used a magic on Boa and her old t-shirt and sweat pants were changed into beautiful red dress, her messy hair was set up perfectly, and her face covered with thick make up. Right at the moment, a helicopter landed in her backyard to bring her to the castle; to the ball.

“Enjoy your night but remember to come back before midnight.” The girl said and Boa got on the helicopter.

 

When Boa reached the ball, she successfully stole the Crown Prince; Prince Yunho’s attention when she did popping and locking dances (because she only danced hiphop style on street) at the ball. Little did anyone know, Prince Yunho is extremely passionate about hiphop dance. After an hour of dance battle between Prince Yunho and Boa, both of them knew that they belong together. In other words, they fell in love.

 

 

On the second night, the mysterious girl came and help Boa attend the ball again. She danced with Prince Yunho all night… of course until midnight, when she had to quickly return home. Boa was sure that Prince Yunho loved her and would definitely make her as his wife. She only needed to meet the prince on the last night of the ball, where the prince will announce his chosen wife. Only, Boa totally forgot to ask who the mysterious girl was and why she helped her. And it was a fatal mistake.

 

On the third night, the girl came late. Boa was panic when the girl didn’t appear in timeas she was supposed to. She was late three hours and the by the time she came, the ball was about to end anytime soon. Boa begged desperately for the girl to make her pretty and helped her to get to the ball quickly. The girl only smirked calmly.

 

“How can you pay me?” She asked.

 

At that time, Boa was hit by a realization that the girl who was helping her was not a Fairy Godmother, but a witch. But even knowing that, she had no choice but to beg for her help. It was once in the life time chance that only came to one out of thousands of girls and was the one lucky girl. It meant everything for her to marry the Crown Prince, to become royal, to not be poor anymore.

She promised the girl (which was now a witch) money, titles, lands and many other desired prizes, but none of them pleased her. When Boa almost lost her mind thinking every second ticked as the witch kept on rejecting her offering, she told the witch she was willing to give her anything. At that, the witch smiled.

 

“Give me your first born.”

 

Boa was reluctant at first, but later agreed when the witch threatened to leave. Smilling brightly, the witch cast a spell to changed Boa appearance completely, into a beautiful lady she was at the ball two nights before and sent her to the ball with her magic this time. Things turned out wonderful for Boa. Prince Yunho quickly took her hand and proposed to her as soon as she arrived. Then, the royal wedding was held and Boa officially became the Crown Princess. She finally got what she always wanted, she was not poor any longer.

 

 

 

Three years later, Princess Boa was pregnant with their first child. Boa started to became anxious. She hadn’t met the witch after the night she sent her to the third night of the ball but she didn’t forget her promise. In fact, she remembered it clearly but she never had the intention of fulfilling it.

She ordered army to guard her more closely and killed any possible magic user in the country. Prince Yunho didn’t know the real reason behind her wife’s action but agreed with her nonetheless, claiming magic user as dangerous.

Nine months passed and the first born of the next throne’s heir was born; a boy. The witch didn’t appear. A day after that, there wasn’t any witch in the castle, a week after that, still didn’t come, a moth after that, still nothing, a year after that; no and the Crown Princess slowly loosen her guard.

Five years later, the current king passed away, leaving the throne to the crown prince. Prince Yunho became the King, together with his lovely wife as the Queen and his first son as the crown prince.

 

 

After ten years, the crown prince has grown up to a healthy and bright boy. The Queen was no longer worried about her promise with the witch. She guessed the witch might had been killed by one of her army. The castle was harmony for many years until the crown prince became a young adult.

 

 

When the crown prince turned twenty two, the King and the Queen decided that their son was old enough to get married. Because they believed their meeting and marriage was the best thing that has happened in their lives, they wanted their son to experience the same event. Thus, three nights ball to find a wife for the crown prince was held once again. All eligible women were invited; from their own kingdom and also from outside kingdoms. The ball was more expensive, bigger and merrier than the previous one.

 

No one expected an uninvited guest would attend as well.