Chapter 1

What Matters Most
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I pulled my blanket upward, enough to cover my head to toe, as I felt the sun rays touched my body. I decided that I should stay for a while like this because I will be dead tired later on work. But just I knew that ‘for a while’ doesn’t exists when my alarm clock rang, I was so annoyed that I buried my head in the pillow deeper, and continued to sleep when I realize that my clock stopped ringing.

 

A knock was heard on the door and because I was still sleepy, I didn’t bother to reply. “Soo?” it was my mom, I heard the door opened and footsteps getting nearer, “Soo, wake up.” My mom gently shook my body and pulled my blankets down, “You’ll be late if you won’t wake up.” She pressed her palm gently on my forehead and gasped, “Omo! You’re hot.” And I opened my eyes when I heard what she said, “Umma.” I said and struggled to sit, “Sooyoungie, you must rest. You shouldn’t go to work today.” She again held my forehead and neck, “You have a fever.” I didn’t responded, “Wait, I’ll go get some medicine.” She left and I reached my slippers and waited for my mom. “Here.” She said and gave me a medicine and placed the glass of water on the table beside my bed. “Don’t go to work today, okay?” I shook my head in reply and drank water, “I must, umma.” I said after I gulped the water.

 

And even she continued pleasing me not to go to work, she failed. There are more people who are more ill than I am that needed to be taken care of.

 

o---o---o---o---o

 

“Let’s call it a day!” Taeyeon unnie, one of my co-nurses, said as she stretched her arms backwards.

 

“I’ve observed that there are many patients today.” Tiffany unnie, also one of my co-nurses, pouted.

 

“That’s why I’m worried.” I said, without even looking at them, I was busy writing the records of some patients.

 

“And that’s why we’re also worried of your health, Sooyoungie.” Taeyeon said, “You should’ve rest on your home today.” She added. I mentally chuckled because she reminds me of my mom.

 

“I’m okay, it’s just a fever.” I said.

 

“See? Even with a fever, she still worked hard for others. She’s getting ready to marry.” Tiffany teased.

 

Here we go again. They are starting to talk about my 0% love life again.

 

“I think that why you get sick these days.” Tiffany smiled, “You should start dating right now.” She exclaimed. Oh no, the ‘dating’ thing is here again.

 

“I agree.” Taeyeon butted in, “You’re already 22 years old and still you haven’t experienced dating.” She smirked.

 

“Oh yeah? And the 24 year old lady who has a boyfriend said.” I said in irony. I knew she doesn’t have any boyfriend right now but still, she had experienced dating before.

 

Tiffany chuckled, “But really, we say what’s best for you.”

 

“How could ‘dating’ be the ‘best’ for me?” I looked up and stopped writing, showing my confused look.

 

Tiifany grabbed a plastic chair and folded her arms, “Let’s say, you’ve been working hard for your family, you’ve always helped them since you had a job, although you had helped them so much like almost ½ of Sulli’s school expenses, you’re the one who sustained it financially.” She said.

 

“And?”

 

“And. You’re also the one who’s taking care of your parents so much.” She smiled, as if she was giving me an award of goodness, “But, you have forgotten yourself. Remember you said you’re going to marry as soon as you’re already 24, right? But how? You’re already 2 years away from that and you’re still glued to your ‘responsibilities’. I know helping your family is a good thing, I’m also helping my family like yours—“

 

“Me too.” Taeyeon again butted in.

 

“—but do you think your parents wanted you to be like this forever? I know Mr. and Mrs. Choi would be happy if they would walk with you in the aisle of the church. They want to see you wearing a wedding dress, exchanging vows to your future husband; they also want to see you having a family of your own, and lastly, they also want to carry their beautiful grandchildren.” I don’t know but I felt Tiffany was saying all the things that I should realize. Her words had a pang on both of my heart and mind. My mom’s soul really went inside Tiffany unnie’s body.

 

Tiffany smiled as she saw me motionless. “Sooyoungie.” She snapped me and got my attention back to her. She raised her eyebrows as if she’s waiting I would respond, “W-what?” I looked at both of them. “But I’m not saying you should marry as soon as possible, I was just telling you to start looking for the special someone who would make those things I mention.” She smiled again, pointing that ‘special someone’ thing on her sentence. She looked at her pink wristwatch and gasped, “Omo! It’s past 9:30 already, I think we should go home now.” She stood arranging her white skirt that was disarranged when she sat. Both Taeyeon and Tiffany grabbed their bags and waited for me, “Aren’t you going home already, Sooyoungie?” I looked up, “Ah, I still need to finish this. You may go home now, this will take me a bit longer.” I smiled, “Really? Okay then, we’re going home. Take care, Sooyoungie!” Tiffany said and flew a kiss, as what she would always do when bidding goodbye. “Be careful going home.” Taeyeon added and winked.

 

You should start dating right now.

 

o---o---o---o---o

 

I never knew that Tiffany and Taeyeon unnie would exert and effort on how I can start dating. Tiffany suggested that these days, male and female would get to know each other first by texting. So, she gave me her phone and said that I should start texting with some guys that they will both suggest. (I have my own phone but I lied that I don’t have to escape from this ‘texting’ thing but these girls are still making a way.). Before Tiffany and Taeyeon could suggest some guys that I would text with, there were already anonymous numbers sending messages to me.

 

From: Anonymous

Hi.

 

“Who’s this, unnie?” I asked and gave the phone to them, they both examined the number but they gave it back to me saying, “I don’t know who is this, Soo. But try texting with that guy, I hope he’s good.”

 

Hi? I replied.

 

From: Anonymous

It’s such a nice day right? What’s your name? ^^

 

Sooyoung. What about you?

 

From: Anonymous

My name doesn’t matter, as long as we have a good time tonight. ;)

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter