Solo

Solo

 

"That's it for today, girls" your dance instructor announced, "Great job today."

A series of sighs was heard throughout the practice rooms as girls dispersed to collect their things.

It was only your third month as a trainee for Woollim Entertainment, but the strenuous dance practices and vocal trainings were already taking a toll on you.

Being the only foreigner in the group of girl trainees wasn't exactly helping either.

People were nice to you, well to your face at least. You would always catch them whispering behind your back, not knowing that you were fluent in Korean. They would say things like "How is she going to survive without knowing Korean?" or "Her pretty face can only take her so far".

But you tried not to let that get to you.

Being the last one to exit the practice room like always, you closed the door behind you while adjusting the strap of your duffle bag on your shoulder.

You watched the other girls walk down the hall, laughing and talking together. With a sigh, you walked down the hall in the opposite direction alone.

You checked your phone and saw that you had about an hour before your one-on-one vocal training.

Not looking where you were going, you staggered back when you bumped in to something, or someone.

"Oh! I'm so sorry, sunbae!" you quickly bowed when you looked up and saw Woohyun standing in front of you.

"______-ah! Are you okay?" he asked with concern.

"Hyung!" Sungyeol appeared behind him, "You need to watch were you're going! You nearly ran poor ______-ah over!"

You looked over Woohyun's shoulder to see the rest of the members trickling out of their practice room.

"Yah! Nam Woohyun!" Sunggyu yelled, "What did you do to ______-ah now?"

"He didn't do anything, Sunggyu sunbaenim," you laughed, "I wasn't watching where I was going, I'm sorry," you apologized to Woohyun again.

That was another thing none of the other trainees knew about. You were actually really close with the boys of Infinite. They were the first people you met when you joined the company and when they heard about other people talking about you behind your back, they became a little protective of you. Kind of like seven older brothers you never had.

Not wanting to attract any more attention to yourself, you told them not to say anything and to keep your relationship with them a secret. They were a little hesitant to comply, but ended up agreeing with your wishes in the end.

"Is something wrong, ______-ah?" Dongwoo asked as he placed an arm around your shoulders.

"Yeah, are people being mean to you again?" Hoya asked, ready to confront anyone that dared to say a single mean thing about you.

"No! Everything's fine!" you lied, putting on a fake smile.

"You're lying," Myungsoo said bluntly as he leaned against the doorframe of their practice room.

The smile slid off your face and you let out a sigh. Myungsoo could always see straight through you.

"It's nothing that you guys need to worry about. You're already busy enough," you shook your head, giving them a small smile.

You always hated when they worried about you, especially now since they were in the midst of preparing for their Second Invasion Evolution concert series.

"How much longer until your vocal lessons?" Sungjong asked.

"Umm about 45 minutes," you said checking the time on your phone.

"That's just enough time," Sunggyu smiled and the boys led you down the hallway.

---

"Sit," Dongwoo pushed you down on the bench of one of the picnic tables in a courtyard behind the studio.

"What are you guys doing?" you asked as Sungyeol came out of the building holding a portable stereo and the boys stood in a line, shoulder to shoulder, in front of you.

Sungyeol placed the stereo on a planter behind the members and took his place between Sungjong and Myungsoo.

"Kim ______!" Sunggyu yelled suddenly, "Are you ready to party?!"

"Uhh, yes?" you laughed at the leader's adorable Engrish.

"Great!" he smiled, "Because you are the very first Inspirit that is about to see Infinite's Second Invasion Evolution solo stages!"

Your jaw dropped as the other members cheered.

"So first up we are going to have Sungyeol featuring Hoya!" Sunggyu announced and the rest of the members cheered and clapped their hands.

"Are you guys allowed to do this?" you asked them as they sat down next to you.

Dongwoo merely shrugged his shoulders, "We're doing it anyways!"

You shook your head and your eyes widened when you heard a certain Justin Timberlake song start to blast from the speakers.

"Oh. My. Gosh," you whispered in shock.

---

"Whoo!" you cheered with the older members as their maknae took a final bow.

You shook your head with a smile. These boys never failed to surprise you.

Sungyeol's and Hoya's … intense performances of "O" and "y Back" left you speechless. Sunggyu's heart wrenching performance of their newest song had you in tears. Dongwoo's interpretation of "Because" made you heart swell with pride. Woohyun's and Myungsoo's upbeat covers of "Couple" and "Alone In Love" left you swooning. And you would never be able to forget Sungjong's performance of "Adult Ceremony". How you wish you could move your body like him.

You glanced down at the bouquet of flowers Myungsoo gave to you during his performance and smiled as your forgot about all of your problems.

The members formed a line in front of you once again.

"So, ______-sshi," Sunggyu said with excitement as if they were in front of thousands of screaming fans, "Did you enjoy the performances?!"

"Whoo!!" you cheered in response and clapped your hands.

"That's great be-"

"______!"

All of you looked towards the door to see your vocal coach standing there with her hands on her hips.

"Seongsaengnim!" you stood up quickly.

"Where have you been?! You lesson was supposed to start ten minutes ago!" she scolded, walking towards you.

"It's not her fault!" all the members stood in front of you, protecting you from the teacher's wrath.

"Yeah, noona. She was walking towards the training room. We were the ones that dragged her away," Woohyun explained.

She looked suspiciously at the other members who nodded their heads in agreement.

"You guys need to stop stealing her away from her training," she sighed, "She has so much talent and if she doesn't get her proper training, she won't debut."

The boys winced when she lightly whacked each one of them on their heads.

"Sorry, noona," they mumbled.

"Whatever," she shook her head at them, "Come on, ______-ah. We have to make up for the time you lost because of these kids."

You quickly grabbed the bouquet of flowers and your duffle bag before following her back into the building.

As you held the door open, you glanced over your shoulder and looked back at the seven boys who were still standing in the courtyard.

They all looked at you and raised a fist in the air in perfect synchronization.

"Fighting!" they cheered.

"Fighting!" you let out a laugh and raised your own first before disappearing into the studio.