Final.

be mine ;*

”We should be lab partners because you and I have chemistry.”

All Jongin got in return for that line was a laugh in his face (and maybe some saliva too) because the male before him just found it so funny that he used such a lame pick up line. After wiping what he thought was spit off his face, he continued to pursue his potential lab partner - it won't hurt to keep trying. “Well?”

“No.”

“Oh.” He wanted to hang his head in embarrassment, but he didn't want to make himself look more pathetic. He'll just stick it out until he gets home. Maybe.

“Yeah. Thanks for giving me a laugh, I needed it. See you around.”

”..See you,” Jongin waved pitifully, the blonde having already turned around to leave him alone in the hallway. He himself his heels and picked up all pride he had left before sulking to his next class. So much for holding his own before home.

It had amused the other male, though, bringing a dazzling smile to his flawless face. That was enough for Kim Jongin to keep trying. One day he’ll get Luhan to say yes.

One day.

+

“Hey, I just had to come talk to you - sweetness is my weakness.” That was smooth - that was smooth, right? He wasn't expecting to see the blonde that day at that time, casually at his locker and putting away his books. (Okay, maybe he did plan it with a neutral in-between friend who thinks his pick-up lines are so last year.) 

“Oh, it’s you again.” The elder laughed and turned. "Hey, Sehun." Really?

Jongin fidgeted awkwardly in his spot. He didn’t like how his pick up line was, once again, ignored by the flawless male. Just what did he do to deserve this mental torture by a beautiful male that goes by the name Luhan? And the brat next to him was no help either, snickering behind a hand, the other raised in greeting.

“That’s all?” he finally blurts out, mentally hitting himself in regret immediately after.

“Basically.” Though the reply was short and seemingly indifferent, he still got that hundred watt smile that brightened his day effortlessly. “Ciao.”

 And he was gone again.

Jongin continued to mentally scold himself even as his so-called best friend tried to comfort him with a pat on the back.

For the record, it did not make him feel any better.

+

“I didn’t know angels could fly so low. When do you have to return to heaven?”

“Ooh, nice. Two pick up lines today.”

There he goes again. Jongin pursed his lips and nodded, this time only raising his brows in hopes the flawless man would be able to read his mind and say something.

But there was no such thing.

The younger male inaudibly sighed. “And?”

“I have to get to my next,” there was a pause, then a bright smile when he thought he was a genius for what he said next, “destination before I return to heaven. Maybe next time.”

“Dork.” Jongin breathed unintentionally, only to get completely caught off guard when Luhan actually responded to it by raising his brows accusingly as if saying ‘I think we both know who the real dork here is,’ before turning and leaving.

Well, that’s new. As little as it was, Jongin was proud of the extra little exchange he received from the elder this time around.

There was hope.

+

“Did you hear the latest health report? You need a little more dosage of vitamin me.”

Like the first time, the tanned male received a laugh and drops of liquid that closely resembled spit in and on his face. Wonderful, maybe this was going to be a never ending cycle where he is so close to getting what he wants, only to be shot down again by his hyung’s infamous laugh with no shame.

“I take enough vitamins. Do you see this skin?” Luhan gestured to his flawless face, then waves a hand, laughing at his own joke. “Kidding. Thanks for your concern. Ciao.”

Jongin nodded in reply, unable to hide the giddy grin on his face. It wasn’t as bad as he thought it’d be. The older was slowly starting to play along with his little games, with a side of spit. He could deal with the spit, no doubt.

Luhan was worth it. (Or so he blindly hoped.)

+

Somewhere between the pick up lines, Jongin managed to get Luhan’s number (to which he was ecstatic about and Sehun was indifferent. Or was he? Jongin didn’t really pay attention because he was too busy being conflicted over what to say first.)

And so this was how their text messages went:

Hyung.

Hm?

If I had a nickel for every time I saw someone as beautiful as you, I’d have five cents.

You know pick up lines were made for females, right?

But you’re better than a female. You’re a male.

I’m straight, Jongin-ah.

Jongin stared blankly at the message. Um? But he didn’t have to reply for Luhan sent another text a few minutes later.

But I can make an exception.

Grinning from ear to ear would be an understatement describing the look on his face.

+

Jongin and Luhan are finally on a more normal and stable talking stage, not just through cellular phones. The former was very proud of that.

“So, Christmas is coming up soon, huh?” Luhan said thoughtfully, eyes looking up at the clouds above.

Now, Jongin couldn’t resist. “If a fat man puts you in a bag at night, don’t worry. I told Santa Claus I wanted you for Christmas.”

Luhan snorted. And that was it. Was that better than a laugh?

“I guess I’ll be seeing you on Christmas, then. Though I don’t know if it would work if we both asked for each other.” Jongin was stunned. Did Luhan really just say that? Without a quick ‘kidding’ to brush it off?

Luhan gave a quick glance to the male beside him before sprinting off without bidding adieu.

And maybe it was better that Luhan had ran off. Jongin couldn’t keep that stupid grin off his face, and frankly, he didn’t want Luhan to see his beet red cheeks either.

This was good progress (great, actually).


+

The pair of males walked quietly next to each other. The silence was comfortable, but something seemed to hang heavy above Jongin. It’s Christmas Eve; what was bothering the poor kid? Luhan struggled with the urge to ask, but when he opened his mouth to do so, Jongin beat him to it.

“If I followed you home, would you keep me?” It came as a soft whisper.

Luhan’s snapped his head around to look at the younger male. The way he had said it.. It seemed like a serious question. Jongin glanced over from the corner of his eyes. Eyes widening a bit, he quickly looked forward again and let out a weak laugh. “Why’re you looking at me like that? It’s just another pick up line..”

Without another word, Luhan reached his hand out from his pocket and grabbed Jongin’s. The pair pushed through the small crowd along the sidewalk all the way to Luhan’s apartment building. When they arrived, Luhan panted lightly. His heart was racing from walking so quickly for so long, but also at the contact of their hands. He quickly let go and pushed it back in his pocket, turning away to face the front door.

“To answer your question, I would do more than keep you. I’d take care of you, give you a place to sleep, some warm food and hot chocolate; anything you need to be happy.” Luhan side glanced the quiet male hesitantly.

Jongin stared at the building for a long time before tugging on the blonde’s jacket, mumbling, his gaze to the floor. “Well, what are you waiting for? I’m cold and I want marshmallows and peppermint in my hot chocolate.”

+

What happened the next morning was going to stay in Jongin’s memory forever and more.

Dragging his feet out of Luhan’s room with one hand rubbing his restless eyes, he stopped at the entrance of the kitchen. He stared sleepily at the sight before him.

..What?

In one hand, Luhan held two roses. In the other he held a bunch of bananas. He coughed awkwardly before smiling the brightest smile he could muster. (In truth, Jongin liked any smile of Luhan’s that was true and genuine.)

“Roses are red, bananas are yellow—”

“—I would date this charming fellow.” Jongin finished the line he had embedded in the back of his mind for the right moment to use it. He never thought it would be used on him instead. Nevertheless from Luhan himself.

“—hey! That’s not right. I was supposed t—”

“Your lips look lonely, would they like to meet mine.” Jongin said it flatly, clearly still half awake, but conscious enough to know what was happening. He stepped forward before the flustered male could say anything, meeting lips to lips in a messy yet sweet and innocent kiss.

Luhan wrinkled his nose after they parted, lips pursed. “Morning breath.”

Jongin scowled and grabbed a banana, pulling the roses over to Luhan’s nose. “Better?”

The blonde moved the roses away. “Ouch, a thorn pricked my lip. Kiss it better?”

The tanned male stopped, a banana halfway into his mouth, then stubbornly shook his head. “No. Morning breath, remember?”

The tables have turned.

“Touché.”