[Jongkey] Always the Right Thing

[SHINee] One-Shot Collection

WHAT THE ACTUAL , OH MY ING GOD.

Re-uploaded with a few changes, since there were things that bugged me.

And yes, okay? This IS . Just FYI.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Minho and Key were perfect for each other. It had been written in the stars. Predestined for thousands of years. Jonghyun sighed, tired of listening to his brother spew such cliche crap. Key had a tendency to run his mouth, which was okay sometimes. But when it came to Minho... Jonghyun preferred not to listen to a word of it.

He didn't need to hear Key go on about how perfect Choi Minho was. He already knew. Jonghyun didn't tell a soul that, though. He acted for all the world like he downright hated Minho's guts. It was all a just coverup for the feelings he had for his brother's boyfriend.

Acting like he didn't care when Key announced he was marrying Minho was harder than anything he'd ever done in his life. Key begged Jonghyun to go with Minho on a "guy's night" so they could get to know each other better, and Jonghyun was hard pressed not to cry. He nodded slowly.

    "Fine," he said in what he hoped was a disinterested tone. "You know how I feel about Minho, though (he couldn't help thinking how big of a lie that really was). Don't expect too much." It agonized him to see Key so sad.

    "I know, but could you please pretend? For one night?" trying to appear reluctant, Jonghyun nodded. Key looked relieved. "Thank you." Jonghyun couldn't help feeling a drop in his stomach when Minho walked into the room right after that. "Oh, Minho. I just got Jonghyun to agree to go with you on a guy's night out. Isn't that great?" Minho furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. He looked over to where Jonghyun was standing awkwardly, feeling very uncomfortable with the couple-y atmosphere. Jonghyun shrugged, and Minho decided it would probably be better to wait until Key wasn't around to ask questions.

It was later in the week when they set a time and place. Jonghyun, at least, was on time. He stood by the bar, wondering where Minho was. Every time the door opened and Minho wasn't the one walking in, he felt incredibly foolish.

People were starting to give him sympathetic looks, and he was frustrated enough that he was way beyond ready to leave. He had even started to gather up his things before he looked one last time and Minho was the one walking in.

    "Sorry I'm late," Minho smiled, but it faltered when he saw Jonghyun's expression.

    "Sorry I don't feel very much like having a guy's night out anymore," Minho winced at the venom in Jonghyun's words. He nodded, as if he'd expected Jonghyun's words.

    "Okay, um. Why don't we meet here at 7 on Saturday? I don't work on Saturdays. Oh wait, damn. Kibum wants to go look at suits," Minho looked apologetic. Jonghyun's lips thinned at the mention of suits.

    "Don't worry about it. I didn't want to do this in the first place. I only really did this for Key. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go now," before Jonghyun had taken 2 steps, Minho grabbed his wrist. Acting purely on instinct, Jonghyun turned around and socked him in the jaw.

    "Don't. touch. me," Jonghyun surprised even himself at the fury in his voice. Minho looked shocked. ". I knew this was going to be a disaster. I tried to warn Key, but nooo."

    "Why do you hate me so much?" Jonghyun stopped in mid-rant. His eyes went wide with panic, even though he had anticipated the question.

    "Does it matter?" he countered quickly. Minho leveled his gaze at Jonghyun.

    "Well yeah. You mean a lot to Key, and you hating me kind of strains our relationship," Jonghyun felt a deep sense of shame at Minho's words. He couldn't be sure he saw it, but there had been what almost seemed like a flash of satisfaction on Minho's face. He straightened out his shoulders and gathered the shreds of his dignity.

    "I'm sorry. If I bother you two so much, I should just leave you alone... right? So tell Key that I'll miss him and tell him I'm sorry for missing the wedding, " Jonghyun smiled, but the pain behind it was still visible. Minho shook his head, looking upset.

    "No. Jonghyun, that's not what I me--," "If you'll excuse me," Jonghyun interrupted. "I really do have to leave now." He ran out of the bar before Minho could catch him.

Jonghyun got on the bus to take him home. He sat in a corner seat by himself, stone faced. No one noticed that he had tears slowly dripping down his cheeks.

~*~

Kibum was furious, just as Minho had known he'd be. What he hadn't known was that Kibum threw dishes with uncanny accuracy. He had a split lip and a bruise on one of his cheeks. But he.. kind of deserved it, he supposed. He shouldn't have told Jonghyun that he strained their relationship. That had been a bad idea. There are some things you shouldn't tell people.

    "You . I need him, Minho. And now, I probably won't see Jonghyun for another four or five years. More years of my life that he's not there. And it's your fault," Kibum slid down the wall behind him, tears in his eyes.  "...Maybe you should sleep somewhere else tonight."

And because he knew he'd done wrong, Minho slinked off, tail tucked firmly between his legs, to pack a bag of clothes and call his best friend Nichkhun.

~*~

Months passed and Jonghyun's pain slowly faded to a memory. Except when he thought about the wedding, that is. Then, intense feelings of guilt flooded him. But there was no way he could see his brother marrying someone he had loved since high school.

The first couple of weeks, Key made feeble attempts to get in touch with Jonghyun. Jonghyun wanted so badly to return the phone calls and the texts, even though Key was better off without someone like him to mess everything up with hatred and lies.

It wasn't the first time something like this had happened. Their parents died, and they had been put into separate foster homes despite endless pleading. Their only relief was that they still went to the same school. Jonghyun became extremely detached and Key got clingier than ever. Key had tried so hard to get Jonghyun to talk to him in school... But that was the past. Key knew better now.

Jonghyun was pouring himself a cup of coffee and thinking about those dark days when someone knocked on his door. He didn't have a clue who it could be, since he didn't have many friends. He opened the door and froze when Minho glared back at him. Without waiting to be invited, Minho stepped inside Jonghyun's apartment. The silence was deafening, but Jonghyun was determined not to be the first one to speak. Minho could have all the honors.

    "Kibum kicked me out," Jonghyun turned quickly from his cup of coffee. "A bunch of times. I just decided it was a good idea to look for another apartment. At this point, I don't even know if we're still getting married." Jonghyun was elated for a moment, and then he felt sick to his stomach. He shouldn't be that happy over his brother's misery. "So, after all this time, I'm going to ask you again, Jonghyun. Why do you hate me?"

Jonghyun thought over it for a moment before deciding to tell the truth. It was useless to keep lying.

    "Because it was easier than admitting I love you," Jonghyun regretted those words as soon as they left his mouth. Minho's eyes widened and the silence got awkward fast. Jonghyun started chuckling. "See? At first, I was only pretending to hate you. But now, there's nothing to pretend about. I genuinely hate you, Minho. I hate you because you're so goddamn perfect and you're marrying my brother." Minho was noticeably uncomfortable in Jonghyun's presence. "I think you should tell Key the truth. Since I probably won't see him for a while."

    "Jong--," Just. leave," Jonghyun's shoulders slumped. "Key is better off without me. He doesn't need someone like me in his life."

    "That's where you're wrong. Key does need you," Jonghyun started chuckling again.

    "Do you really think he's going to want me around when he knows I'm in love with his fiance?" Minho was quiet. "Didn't think so. So go. Tell him." Minho reluctantly stood up. "See you, Minho." Minho nodded and left.

~*~

Kibum wasn't expecting a visit from Minho that day. But when he saw the serious look on Minho's face, he wordlessly opened the door.

    "I met with Jonghyun today (since I found out that he lives in the same building as Nichkhun), and... I think it's a good idea to leave Jonghyun well enough alone," Kibum raised his eyebrows, gesturing for Minho to continue. "I always wondered why he hated me, and now I know why. He.. hates me because he's in love with me, Kibum. I'm sorry." Kibum's face closed off at the confession. "He also thinks that you're better off without him in your life. I tried to tell him that's not true, but he refused to listen."

Kibum was silent for a long time. Minho was ready to leave when Kibum finally spoke.

    "Will you take me to his apartment? I need to talk to Jonghyun," Minho nodded.

~*~

For the second time that day, there was a knock on Jonghyun's door. He had a feeling he knew who it was, and he really didn't want to talk to either of them at the moment. He already felt stupid enough without the yelling he was sure to get.

    "Kim Jonghyun, if you don't open this door I will break it down," Key sounded extremely upset. Resigned, Jonghyun opened the door. He didn't expect to be hugged. Nor did he expect to feel tears hit his shoulder, which made him feel that much guiltier. "Why didn't you say something?" He looked down at the ground.

    "Would it have made a difference? You'd still be with him and I would still be alone," Key shushed him.

    "No. You wouldn't have been alone," the squeezing around his waist got a tiny bit tighter. You have me, Jonghyun. You'll always have me." Something in the way Key said those words gave Jonghyun goosebumps. He felt Key kiss his neck and started wondering what the hell Key was doing. "I've been having just as hard a time as you, you know. Because I love someone I'm not supposed to, too. But unlike you, Jonghyun, I don't have the option to hate him." Key ignored Jonghyun's questioning gaze. "And yes, before you ask.. Minho knows all about it. He agreed to be my boyfriend as a kind of cover."

    "Who is it, then?" Jonghyun asked, still in the dark. He noticed Minho in the background, shaking his head and signalling it was a bad idea to ask. "It's only fair you tell me." Key let out a shaky sigh.

    "I guess it is fair, isn't it? But Jonghyun.. you have to promise you won't hate me," Jonghyun wrapped his arms tighter around Key.

    "I could never hate you, Key. There's no way," he saw Key smile nervously.

    "...It's you," Key said simply. Jonghyun took a long time to process that simple phrase.

    "Why didn't you ever say something?" he finally asked quietly, and Key scoffed.

    "Would it have made a difference?" Key mocked him.

    "Probably," Jonghyun held Key tighter to him and pressed a small kiss to Key's neck.

    "Hey Minho?" he heard Key say. "Kindly.. get the out of here." He could just imagine the shock on Minho's face and he smiled softly. Jonghyun pressed his lips to Key's unsurely. Minho let out a startled noise, and then the slam of a door could be heard.

    "Is this right?" Key looked thoughtful for a minute.

    "Love is always right, Jonghyun. Never forget that," it was all the answer Jonghyun needed to lean in for another, surer kiss.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Have a nice day. (I'm kind of pissed.)