[Minkey] That Same Old Sad Song on Repeat

[SHINee] One-Shot Collection

Kibum wobbles and nearly falls before Minho catches him. Kibum looks up at him seriously for a moment.

    “Thank you,” he says honestly and busts into giggles. And even though it’s fairly normal to see in public drunkenness in Korea, people are starting to stare. More than likely, it has something to do with Key’s bright blonde hair. In a mass of dark, blonde draws the eye even if it’s unwillingly.

Minho hoists Key up, slinging an arm around Key’s limp form. Drunkenly, Key sings out the first few lines of  “My First Kiss” before Minho claps a hand over his mouth. He lets go almost immediately afterwards, making a completely disgusted face. No one likes having their hand . It’s a gross feeling.

    “Key, if you don’t stop singing right now you’re going to have a hoard of fangirls after us,” Minho grits his teeth in annoyance. Key, thankfully, shuts up singing. Most of the time, Key is quiet and practically unassuming. But drunk Key is loud, proud, and unashamed. That’s where Minho comes in. More often than not, he is chosen (forced) to act as Key’s bodyguard by the other members. They say it’s because he’s the most clear-headed. Personally, Minho thinks it’s bull. They’re just too lazy to do it themselves.

He doesn’t mind some of the time, but there are times (like right now) when all Minho wants to do is shake Key and scream in frustration because he’s making a complete out of himself. In public, not that people know it’s actually Kim Kibum of SHINee.

But he can never bring himself to even look annoyed with Key. Watching over him and making sure he never hurts himself has invoked feelings in him. He’s unsure if they’re purely brotherly in nature or if they’re going to develop into something more.

When it’s all over and done, and Key inevitably wakes up with a hangover, Minho volunteers to cook. He’s not great at it, but he can at least make a decent meal. Everyone shoots him grateful looks throughout the meal. As their thank you, Taemin and Jonghyun volunteer to wash dishes after breakfast. Onew takes him aside and thanks him outright for all he does. He smiles.

    “No problem, hyung. It’s not like I have a choice, though,” Minho jokes and he sees Onew start smiling widely. He understands.

Key doesn’t. Minho hears a soft knock on the door to his and Jonghyun’s room while he’s getting dressed, and gets up to open it. Key is standing there, wringing his hands in his shirt and looking anxious and upset. Minho closes the door, and Key practically flings himself at Minho.

    “Am I that much of a burden?” he asks, and it clicks in Minho’s brain. He hugs Key tightly and smiles warmly.

    “I was only joking, Key. I don’t mind looking after your drunk occasionally,” Key slumps in relief. It makes Minho want to squeal (in a quite unmanly fashion) at the cuteness. “By the way, have you taken something to help the hangover?” Key shakes his head no, and Minho shoves him in the kitchen and makes him take aspirin. And just like that, Minho takes care of Key’s insecurity.

He’s relieved to realize that the feelings he has for Key are only brotherly.

But when Minho starts noticing Jonghyun more and more, he starts feeling uneasy once again. It’s mostly small things, like how toned his arms look. How his skin looks really clear despite all the junk food they eat. How the color of Jonghyun’s eyes is dark brown, like bittersweet dark chocolate (his personal favorite kind of chocolate). And how he likes to wear red.

He’s seen the torso that fangirls can only dream of hundreds of times, only now he reluctantly admits to himself that he can see what the fangirls find so attractive. His heart starts beating a little faster when Jonghyun smiles or laughs at him. He blushes whenever Jonghyun hugs him.  It’s more than a little alarming because it happens so fast, and he never in a million years thought he’d fall for one of his own bandmates.

During the crisis he’s having over Jonghyun, Minho notices that Key is trying to get his attention, even beyond the times they go out drinking. He asks Minho to go shopping with him and Minho tries to convince himself that it’s because he’s the only member who has a car. Even though deep down he doesn’t really believe that. Honestly, though, shopping with Key isn’t as bad as everyone thinks it is.

Idols don’t get paid much, and Key has expensive tastes. In reality, Minho carries two bags and Key’s carrying one. A new hat here, a new pair of jeans there, and Key’s nearly broke as it is. Minho has to pay for their lunch, though he doesn’t really mind too much.

Minho takes Key to see a movie, and it’s against his better judgement that he allows Key to pick a horror film. Key spends the majority of the film hiding his face in Minho’s neck. It doesn’t bother him so much as he’s exasperated with himself. He knew he should’ve gone ahead and bought the tickets to that new American movie. But then again, he really doesn’t feel like hearing Key whine all the way back to the dorm.

Jonghyun frowns at him during dinner that night.

    “Minho, I think we should talk,” he’s instantly nervous, and all he can do is nod a response towards Jonghyun. He only eats a few more bites before excusing himself to his and Jonghyun’s room. He can’t remember if he’s said or done anything to tip Jonghyun off.

He looks up from his thoughts and notices Jonghyun just as he closes the door. He’s gazing intently at Minho.

    “You wanted to talk to me about something, hyung?” his normally deep voice is wavering with nervousness. Jonghyun sits across the bed from him and sighs.

    “Look, Minho. I want to know what the deal is. Key’s following you around like a puppy these days, and you’re practically inseparable,” Jonghyun’s eyes narrow. “Are you gay? Are you in a relationship with him?” Minho gulps, and shakes his head no.

    “N-no,” he stammers. “I just like hanging out with Key. He’s like my brother.” Jonghyun’s relief is evident in his face.

    “Good. ‘Cause I don’t associate with fags,” the disgusted look on Jonghyun’s face is enough to make Minho want to cry. Jonghyun gets up from the bed, smiling radiantly at Minho. “I’m glad you cleared that up for me, Minho. Thanks.” He doesn’t bother waiting for a reply from Minho. He walks out and leaves Minho behind to sort out the mess in his head and heart.

Key comes in later that night, while Jonghyun is in the living room. He’s concerned, Minho can tell. But by now, Minho can pretty much read Key like a book so it’s no surprise. He sits on the edge of Minho’s bed patiently.

    “Jonghyun-hyung thinks we’re dating,” Minho tries to laugh it off, and miserably fails. He’s not an idiot. He’s noticed Key’s signals. But he deliberately ignores them in hopes that Key will eventually get the hint. “Oh and he hates gay people. No big deal.” Minho feels betrayed by his body when he feels the tell-tale sting of tears in his eyes. He tries to be as silent as possible when he realizes he can’t stop them. He’s not supposed to cry in front of people.

Key moves closer to him and wraps an arm around him for comfort. He cries himself out, feeling drained and emotionless afterwards. Key looks at him and kisses his forehead.

    “Minho, I…,” Key trailed off. He closed his mouth and smiled, but his eyes were full of sadness. “Nevermind.” Minho is grateful, though it’s bittersweet. He knows what Key was about to admit, and he really doesn’t want to make things awkward between them by rejecting Key. Neither, apparently, does Key. They both know the outcome of this tragedy.

He wonders angrily why it couldn’t be Key he fell for. Not homophobic Jonghyun, who he would stupidly chase until his heart couldn’t take any more. And by then, Key would have already moved on. Hopefully, to Onew. Onew is kind and lovable and a little y, and Minho thinks that Onew would be a wonderful fit for Key.

    “I’m sorry I couldn’t be the one,” he says, and he hears the emotional exhaustion in his own voice. Key can hear sincerity in his words and hugs him tighter.

    “I’m sorry for what you’re about to go through,” Minho guesses that Key is speaking from experience. He nods.

    “Me too.”
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

OTL Guys... It's kind of hard to write with broke fingers. But this idea came to me out of nowhere and I wasn't about to let it slip away.

 

So yeah. To those of you who are subscribed to my chaptered fic, that's the reason I haven't updated sooner. I broke my fingers. Silly me. ._.

~~

Til next time, loves. ^o~ ☺ ♥ ♫