[Jongkey] Just Like That

[SHINee] One-Shot Collection

Jonghyun wasn't exactly sure of what Key was doing. But he wasn't about to ask, either. It was a slap in the face when Key started practically ignoring him for the rest of the band. Or more like Minho. Onew and Taemin too, sometimes, but mostly Minho. He tried to remember if he'd done something wrong, because Key had to be trying to tell him something.


Maybe he'd forgotten their anniversary. ...No, that wasn't it. Their anniversary was next month, he had it marked on the calendar next to his bed. He even had his present already picked out and wrapped. He flipped through various scenarios in his head, discarding each one until he was left with no reason at all. Jonghyun didn't want to think about what that could mean.


But when Key asked to switch rooms with him, Jonghyun couldn't deny it any more. It was so obvious. Key wanted to break up with him. They were hardly together as it was, and once he thought about it Jonghyun realized their relationship had been doomed anyway.  Key always seemed like he cared less, and Jonghyun figured he cared too much. He was probably smothering Key, that's why they were never together anymore.


Despite his realization, Jonghyun didn't want to end it. He loved Key, and it was nice to see him happy. Even though it hurt to know he wasn't the one making Key happy anymore. He had been quietly thinking about whether or not to actually end it when he stepped into the dorm to find Key and Minho in a very intimate embrace. His chest hurt, and he wanted to cry. But instead, he took off his shoes and slipped quietly into his and Taemin's room. His mind was made up.


~~


Key was startled when Jonghyun appeared next to him on the couch the next morning. He was a wreck, Key noticed immediately. His face was still swollen from sleeping and his eyes were bloodshot. He was smiling, though. As if nothing was wrong.


    "What is it, Jonghyun-hyung?" he asked quietly. They hadn't had much time together recently. Key felt guilty, knowing he was the reason.


    "Let's break up, Key," those words made Key freeze. He was beyond shocked. Jonghyun wanted to break up...? But...


    "I don't understand," Key's voice sounded weird in his own ears. Far away.


    "You made it perfectly clear. You practically avoid me all the time. You switched rooms with me. We don't kiss, hug, or even hold hands anymore," Key noticed that Jonghyun had tears in his eyes. "So it's best for all involved."


That was when Key realized he went too far. He hadn't seen this coming at all. As a matter of fact, when he saw Jonghyun sit down next to him, he thought Jongyun was finally going to admit to being jealous. When he started flirting with the other members, he only did so because he wanted Jonghyun to get riled up. He had only wanted to make Jonghyun as jealous as he possibly could.


But Jonghyun seemingly didn't react, so he had increased the frequency of skinship between himself and the other members. Jonghyun still didn't react. So he switched rooms with Jonghyun, and still no reaction. Looking back, he realized he was flat out ignoring Jonghyun by that point. It's no wonder Jonghyun thought he wanted to break up.


    "Wait, Jonghyun-hyung...," it was too late. Jonghyun was already gone off somewhere, believing Key didn't love him anymore. Key laid his head on his knees and started crying as silently as possible. He felt like the biggest idiot in the world. Trying to make Jonghyun jealous had been the stupidest idea he ever had.


After Jonghyun broke up with Key, he went straight to his bedroom, ignoring the questions from the maknae. He laid on his bed, feeling absolutely terrible. The look on Key's face said that he hadn't expected any of the words that came out of Jonghyun's mouth. But that was impossible, since Key so obviously wanted to break up. Right?


When he felt the bed next to him shift, and he felt someone's arms around him, he didn't even care who it was. As long as it wasn't Key. He cried, taking what comfort he could in the embrace.


    "It was Key-hyung, wasn't it?" Minho's voice asked quietly and Jonghyun nodded. "He told me you guys were dating." Jonghyun felt fresh tears coming out of his eyes at Minho's words.


    "Not anymore," he whispered. Minho didn't say anything, he only hugged Jonghyun tighter.


    "I feel like this is my fault," there was a rare note of helplessness in Minho's voice. "I shouldn't have done so much skinship with Key-hyung. I'm sorry, Jonghyun-hyung."


    "It's not your's or Key's fault, Minho," Jonghyun didn't finish. 'It's mine.'


Jonghyun tried to ignore Key after that. But it was pretty much impossible. Key was always following Jonghyun, trying to apologize. For what? He was the one who had broken up with Key. There was nothing he had to be sorry for.


    "Jonghyun-hyung, please listen to me," Key snatched Jonghyun's wrist and dragged him away from the others at practice. "Let me explain."


    "What is there to explain, Key? We broke up. Big deal, just move on already," Key noticed Jonghyun starting to cry, but he had to finish what he'd come to say.


    "I'm sorry, Jonghyun-hyung," Key hugged him tightly, not at all liking when he felt Jonghyun flinch. "I just... I wanted to make you jealous. But I took it way way too far. Please forgive me. I'm sorry, Jonghyun-hyung, I'm sorry..," Key never sounded the way he did now. He was not the type of person to beg.


    "...I need time to process this," Jonghyun voiced hollowly before walking off. He was a mess of emotions. He was relieved, angry, hurt,  and surprised all at the same time. He couldn't choose which one he felt the most of, though, so he didn't know how to really feel.


~~


Every time he saw Key after that, all he felt was confusion. Why had Key wanted to make him jealous? Didn't he show Key often enough that he was loved? He frowned.


He liked being affectionate, everyone in the whole dorm knew that. So that couldn't be the reason. Maybe Key had just done it for the hell of it. The mere thought that there hadn't been a real reason behind Key's actions infuriated Jonghyun beyond words.


But he still loved Key, and there was no denying that.


When he came home after hanging out with his buddy Joon, Jonghyun was surprised to see Key sitting on the couch asleep. He frowned and felt guilty because he knew Key had probably sat there waiting for him to get home. He took off his light jacket and put it around Key's shoulders before going into the kitchen to make himself something to eat.


He was half-way through making himself a sandwich or 3 when he noticed the single foil-wrapped plate on the counter. He saw his name in bold characters on the top and felt even guiltier for being mad at Key. He put his half-finished sandwiches in the fridge and gratefully ate Key's food.


When Key woke up the next morning in his own bed, he frowned. He distinctly remembered being in the living room waiting for Jonghyun to get home. He knew it was useless to apologize, but he had to try anyway. He walked out of his and Minho's room to the wonderful aroma of American-style pancakes. Thinking Onew was being extra nice that morning, Key waltzed in the kitchen prepared to be pretend-angry.


He stopped cold at the sight of Jonghyun carefully measuring out batter in small circles. He even had his tongue stuck out slightly, and Key couldn't help himself. He burst out laughing at the flour-smudged cheeks and... yep, Jonghyun even had a bit of egg on his nose. How it got there, Key wasn't sure he wanted to know.


    "Oh my God, hyung... You should see yourself," Key couldn't stop laughing when Jonghyun jumped and scowled in response.


    "Fine then, you don't get any pancakes," after that, there was silence as Key's laughter died.


    "I'm really sorry, Jonghyun-hyung," he said quietly, and Jonghyun smiled.


    "I'm sorry too, Key. I shouldn't have been so ready to give up," he walked over and back-hugged Key. They stayed like that for several minutes, just enjoying the feeling of being back together.


    "Uhh... Jonghyun-hyung? Your pancakes are totally burnt on one side," Key chuckled when Jonghyun let out a string of swears and just yanked the plug for the electric griddle out of the wall. That was one reason why he was never allowed to cook. He was far too impatient. Jonghyun was holding a plate of what looked like chocolate chip pancakes when he came back.


    "These were supposed to be for the other members too, but I didn't make enough," Jonghyun's grin was sheepish. Key thought things might finally be okay between them. Just like that.

____________________________________________________________________________________

I can't live without my angst, but there's you a big ball of fluff. 8D I don't even like Jongkey, but wtf ever. I write whatever comes into my head.

Anyway so yeah, I've had a crapload of inspiration these past couple of days, so I may update again really soon. :>

~~

Tata, loves. ^o~ ☺ ♥ ♫