Committing Suicide: Part 1

[Collection] Stories From The Universe That Aliens Tell About Humans

Title: Committing Suicide

Characters: Suho as Kim Junmyun and Baby Soul as Lee Soojung

Poster by Korpride (Woobabylove)

 


 

A piercing strike of lightening cut across the black sky, threatening to split the heavens in two. Roaring outcries of thunder raged amongst the ominous clouds that blocked any source of light from breaking through the thick, rolling gas barriers. The monstrous thunderstorm looming over the Seoul skyline made it impossible to distinguish whether it was night or day. In fact, it was early morning, around 10:00 am, and people needing to get to work trotted through the streets as if someone was chasing them, frightened by the storm overhead.

"Let's rumble fellas!" shouted a lean male figure whose pure, hollow voice boomed at a tone slightly under the cracks of thunder. He was clothed in all black, the only bit of pure white skin visible on his gently carved face, and he stood at the edge of a thick, black cloud, his feet firmly placed a few feet apart from each other, the magnificent stretch of his golden wings spread fully behind his back.

A slight distance away, on a similar, dark cloud, another figure whose well-built muscles could be seen along his sleeveless arms blared out in response, "My wings are itching to take off!" The feathered wings sprouting from the back of this second male figure were a coal gray, almost blending with the dark sky around him.

"Remember, finish line is at the west edge of Seoul! Make sure you don't get your sorry selves lost!" cried a third male figure, whose white clothing made for a stark contrast against the black background. Even his skin was a stunning shade of thin white, complimenting the gleaming white feathers of his fanned wings.

These three figures, bearing their powerful wings in the midst of the rash thunderstorm, were what ground people called angels. Born in the sky with the ability of flight from wings that grew out of their backs, these angels lived hidden from the eyes of humans, behind the clouds of the heavens in their own, sky communities. They had families, emotions, and lives, just like humans, but they served a purpose different from the simple, naïve purpose of purely living and filling out insignificant lives with time and material things. These so called angels had a power bestowed upon them to guide the nature of the world. They guided the cycles of the oceans and the earth, they guided the continuation of plant life, animal life, and of course, human lives.

But just because these angels lived to serve a purpose that happened to be more advanced and selfless than that of humans, it didn’t mean that they led lives void of enjoyment, void of leisure, void of individuality. After angels were born, they led a childhood of education and training to prepare them to serve their duties in the guidance of nature when they become adults. It took time for young angels, once they finished their training, to earn full privileges as nature’s guides; these young angels still in the process of obtaining their maturity were naturally the most susceptible to the lavish and seducing ways of humans. Reckless fun, abuse of their superior strengths and knowledge, and an obscene attachment to humanity characterized the few years it took for these young angels to finally reach a stage in which they were wholly prepared to serve their proper purpose.

“Just don’t get lost yourself, you old man!” the young angel with coal gray wings reproached, tossing the white-winged one a smirk full of arrogance.

“Quit the small talk!” the gold-winged angel cut in, “On my count, three, two, one!”

At the last count, the three young angels simultaneously shot into the blackness, lashing downward in powerful with their wings. A menacing flash of lightening cracked the air, lighting up the three figures as they soared into the black sky. It was almost impossible for the flying angels to see what was in front of them, until thunder and lightning lit up their peripheral visions. Rays of lightning struck above, next to, and on top of the flyers, and as they shot toward the outskirts of Seoul, they maneuvered themselves away from each oncoming strike, dodging, spinning, and flipping out of the electric paths of the lightning. This was one of the many reckless ways young angels flaunted their liberties in their pre-maturing stages: storm racing.

The coal gray-winged one shot out ahead of his companions, laughing boisterously, his laugh echoing against the mountainous crashes of thunder. The gold-winged one, seeing the coal gray one speed ahead, immediately folded his wings in and dived down, gaining incredible speed. Just in the nick of time, he spread his golden wings out again, catching the sharp rush of air with rapid, impulsive maneuvering.

The white-winged one prepared to overtake both of his companions. He had a plan: he would circle around them in a graceful arc, turning his body with his wings to attract force toward him, and shoot out ahead of them diagonally. The two wouldn’t know what hit them.

Taking full command of his wings, the white one twirled himself in the arc movement he had planned. His whole body spinning as he made his move, he failed to catch sight of the sharp ray of lightning pouncing down from the depths of black and gray above. When his body turned upward, his head facing the heavens, his eyes widened in utter disbelief at the bright whip of light coming straight toward him.

In one great flash, the harsh ray of lightning came in direct contact with the white-winged angel. The sheer force of the impact completely halted his forward movement, and the figure instantly lost all mobility, the only element in control now his weight, making him sink downward, fast.

The gold-winged angel, now having taken the lead, did not hesitate to look back even once, before shooting into the dark skies. The coal gray one did the same, gritting his teeth as he sped up faster and faster, to beat his companion.

 


 

“Hey!! Heyyy!!! Are you alright?? Can you hear me??!!!”

Junmyun tried to open his eyes. He could faintly feel his eyelids moving, blinking, but all he could see was bright, white light.

“HEYYYY!!!”

Now he could feel a weight coming in contact with his body, shaking him. The force felt as if it were rattling his skull. He realized, that the voice he was hearing was probably responsible.

“CAN YOU HEAR ME???!!!!”

The voice was screaming in his head, echoing through his entire body. It was louder than any single sound he had probably ever heard, maybe except His voice, but surprisingly, the voice was melodic. Pleasant to the ear. A charming, enjoyable sound that, if it wasn’t screaming into one’s head at the top of its lungs, would probably be beautiful to listen to.

“He’s not waking up…” The voice said, not screaming anymore. “I’d better call an ambulance…”

Before he could register anything else, Junmyun felt himself slipping out of consciousness. The last thing he remembered was the voice.

 


 

Soojung paced back and forth frantically, her cell phone clutched in her hands. She had been at the emergency room for over three hours now. The doctor that had ordered her to wait, a short man with graying hair and glasses named Dr. Lee, was coming her way, reading the contents of a clipboard nestled in his arm.

“Excuse me, Doctor,” Soojung spoke up, before the doctor could whisk past her, “How much longer will I be here?”

Dr. Lee peered at her from behind his clear glasses, then, craned his neck to look past her, at the hospital bed surrounded by blue curtains on all sides except for a small crack. A young man lay in the bed, clad in hospital wear, eyes closed and breathing heavy.

“I realize, Miss,” the doctor began, “That you don’t have any relation to this man whatsoever. But, because you were the one that called us to bring him into the hospital, and because you’re now listed as his guardian in our files, until he wakes up, we need you to stay. Once we can clarify his personal information, you will be free to go. But until then, it would be highly problematic to leave this man here, unconscious, by himself.” With that, the doctor gave Soojung a firm nod and rushed away.

Soojung let out a frustrated sigh. She looked back at the figure in the hospital bed, sleeping peacefully, at least Soojung hoped, under a warm layer of blue hospital sheets. His physical features were rather abnormal for a typical Korean male. He had deep, burgundy red hair, swept to one side neatly. He had very pale skin, much paler than Soojung’s; so pale, in fact, that he could even pass for a Caucasian, if not for his unmistakably Eastern black eyebrows and short, black eyelashes.

It was even more abnormal that, when Soojung had first found him, he hadn’t had any marks on his skin to indicate any kind of physical injuries. The doctors had examined every inch of him, inside and out. No outer scratches or bruises, no broken bones or internal issues, completely healthy. But he hadn’t woken up yet. The doctors assumed, from his completely healthy state, that he should regain consciousness soon. It had better be soon, Soojung thought to herself.

Turning away and closing the curtains around the bed to keep the figure enclosed behind her, Soojung speed-dialed a number on her cell phone.

“Hello, unnie?” She said, when a voice answered her call.

“Umm, about that… I don’t think I can make it today,” Soojung muttered, her tremendous regret evident in her voice.

“Yeah, I’m really sorry… it’s just that… I stumbled onto a really unexpected situation, and I just can’t make it in time.”

The disappointed voice on the other line made Soojung’s heart sink. She desperately tried to maintain her self-control, as much as her insides would allow her.

 


 

Junmyun’s eyes shot open. It was nothing like the last thing he remembered, the unrecognizable white light that prevented him from seeing or feeling anything, but a harshly sudden recovery of all vision and all senses, that sent a shock all throughout his body.

He saw white lights above him, but the kind that came from large, multipurpose, human light bulbs. There were blue sheets, hung from gray iron bars, surrounding him on all sides. He was lying down, he realized. He sat up, and caught sight of the unfamiliar, white and blue cloth covering him. They were definitely not the clothes he’d been wearing when he…

He’d been struck. By that one damned ray of lightning he’d managed to miss seeing, trying to catch up to the guys. What had happened to him afterward, Junmyun had no idea. The only thing he remembered was a voice, screaming at him.

“No, no, everything is fine. No need to worry, unnie! I’m just not able to make it, that’s all.”

Junmyun’s ears perked. It was the exact same voice he remembered, except more muffled than before, and not screaming in his entire body.

He decided to get off the thing he’d been laying on – a human bed..?? – and poked his head out from the blue cloth. He immediately recognized the scene of a human hospital, probably an emergency room. Human men and women in white coats who called themselves ‘doctors’, and an array of other types of humans, scattered about.

Standing diagonally to Junmyun’s left, was a human girl, her back toward Junmyun, speaking into a human cell phone.

“Thanks for understanding. And I’m really really sorry. I’ll definitely be there next time,” The girl said. Junmyun’s eyes widened at the familiar voice. He hadn’t expected such a voice to belong to a human.

To Junmyun’s right, he could see a hallway leading down with various doors on both sides. One sign, posted above the very last door on the right, caught his attention. Junmyun knew just enough about human buildings to know what the sign meant.

He cautiously stepped out of the blue cloth, realizing that his feet were bare. But he couldn’t worry about his clothes or shoes right now. He concentrated on moving forward as casually as possible, avoiding the attention of doctors passing by, patients waiting, and of course, the girl on the phone.

He was only a few steps away from the doors that read, “exit”. All he needed to do, was climb to the roof of the building, unfold his wings, and take off toward home. He needed to get away from the human world.

“Hey, he’s running away!!” Someone shouted, forcing Junmyun to look back. A doctor in a white coat was pointing at him, drawing a whole lot of other people’s attentions toward Junmyun.

Junmyun immediately started running, bursting through the doors and taking to the stairs. It was a pain to have to use his feet in the cramped space, instead of flying, but Junmyun urged himself on.

It didn’t take long for him to reach the roof, greeted by natural, outside air. The sky was a dark navy, studded with measly stars here and there. No trace of the monstrous storm Junmyun remembered.

He ran to the highest ledge of the building’s roof, hopping on top and filling his lungs with air. Bracing himself to lift off, he urged his brain to send the right commands to his wings, for them to spread out full.

“Wait!!!”

Junmyun froze. It was the voice he distinctly remembered, the human girl.

“Don’t do this!! Why are you doing this??! Calm down!!” She cried.

What was she talking about? Junmyun slowly turned toward her. She was approaching him very slowly. She seemed to be breathing heavily from running up the stairs. 

“Please, come down from there! For whatever reason you may want to do this… it… I… it’ll be okay,” she said. Her voice was… shaking?

Junmyun watched the girl coming closer and closer. She had a pair of moist, glittering eyes that seemed very distressed, for some reason. He was contemplating revealing his wings and flying away anyway, even if the girl could see. It was just one human girl. If she tried to tell someone, they wouldn’t believe her.

Just when Junmyun had convinced himself that he would take the risk, the doors of the stairs opened, and several white coated men and women burst through. Their eyes caught sight of Junmyun, standing above them on the ledge, and they gasped in shock.

Junmyun cursed under his breath. One girl was a risk he was willing to take, but now, there were too many humans. With a sigh, he turned from the edge of the building, and jumped down to the level of the girl and the doctors.

As he came down, the girl hurried forward and put her arms out, as if wanting to catch Junmyun or something. It didn’t make sense in Junmyun’s mind, since obviously, Junmyun was bigger and weighed more than her. She ended up just putting her hands on each of Junmyun’s forearms. He looked at her, confused by her actions.

She let out a sigh of relief. And then, to Junmyun’s surprise, she hugged him. He was taken back completely, his body stumbling into hers powerlessly just because he was caught so off guard.

The doctors were coming toward them. Junmyun hissed, annoyed at how difficult it would be now to escape from the humans and go back home.

The girl started patting his back with one of her hands, right on the spot between where his two wings would sprout out. “It’s gonna be okay…” she whispered into his ear.

Junmyun still had absolutely no idea what she was talking about, although he had to admit, her voice was the best human voice he’d ever heard in his lifetime. He decided to communicate with her, since it looked like he was going to be in the human world longer than he liked. “What are you talking about?” He asked, pulling back from her.

 


 

[A/N:]

Finally, I offer you all the beginning of our 5th story, Guardian leader Suho and his pairing Soojung.

Did I surprise you guys with the bit of the fantasy? I had a lot of fun planning this one. But I also spent goobobs of time on it. It's definitely more complicated than the realistic genres we've had so far, so naturally, I'm informing you right now that it will have longer parts.

This is also the point where I can reveal why I used Krystal's stage name back with Kai's story. You guys get it, right? Because I didn't want two Soojungs overlapping!

Thank you so much as always for reading!