Chapter 3

Nostalgia
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Viv, you have to move on," I muttered to myself as I approached the kitchen. "You have a boyfriend now. You can't expect Tao to still miraculously like you after all those years of training, and all those other female trainees he must have met..." I swallowed my jealousy back and replaced it with a bright smile, as if absolutely nothing had gone wrong. I stopped short in my tracks when I saw Tao, laughing and conversing with my parents like old friends. As if he hadn't just coldly ignored me just a few moments earlier.

The facade of happiness quickly subsided and was soon taken over by anger. I was just so angry that my childhood friend, who I trusted, looked up to, and admired, could suddenly turn from a warm-hearted individual to a distant, cold person who acted like he didn't even know who I was. On this wave of anger, I marched up to Tao and said firmly, while trying to hide my frustration from my parents' concerned eyes, "I need to have a word with you." I then pushed by him, opened the back door, and sat myself down on the steps.

After a moment, I heard the back door open and shut quietly, and a dark shadow was cast over me. "Is there something you need to tell me?" a hoarse voice asked. I could practically feel the coldness in his words. I spun around to face Tao, who was leaning against the door with his arms crossed. His eyes were like two endless abysses; I sensed no warmth in his words.

"Yes, in fact, there is," I snapped. "First of

Please log in to read the full chapter