Starry Night

[oneshot] Starry Night

 

Ren stretched as he looked at Seoul’s winter night sky. It was so cold but he didn’t even give so much care. It’s been weeks since he had a peaceful time in his own home, given that they had a month full of endless promotions. He wasn’t complaining though, they’re in the middle of competing against other hardworking rookies and senior idol groups so they really need to persevere in order to stand out. However, a 17-year old teenager’s body has its limit too.  He lazily sat down on one of the chairs on the balcony of their apartment and let his eyes close on its own.

He recalled what have happened for the past month. First, they went to Japan then Malaysia for their showcases which, fortunately, a success as they received a lot of positive remark both from the foreign and local fans. Then they recorded a music video with their Orange Caramel noonas for a Christmas single which was successfully released too. He’s happy that they’re able to gain a lot fans after the 9 months of nonstop working that he didn’t mind practicing for their next comeback album. He smiled at the thought that they’ll be coming back as a better NU’EST for their LOΛEs. He let his mind travel for quite some time until he felt something hot on his cheeks.

He saw a smiling Minhyun as he opened his eyes. His heart then raced the way it usually does when Minhyun’s around. Despite being an idol and having a chaotic schedule, Ren is still a teenager. He is still a normal teenager who goes to school and likes somebody. He didn’t imagine that the somebody he’s going to like’s his own bandmate.

“Can I join you?” Minhyun asked and Ren immediately nodded.

Minhyun’s a normal teenager too, that’s what Ren thought at first. He is tall, a bit handsome and he uses Busan accent like there’s no tomorrow. He’s also quite bright when it comes to school but he hates working his body out. He’s always late in dance trainings and nags from day to night. However, things changed when he accidentally heard Minhyun practicing his vocal skills. He’s just going to get his bag from the locker room when he walked past the training room and heard Minhyun singing while playing the guitar. It’s been so long since he’d heard someone with a voice that could melt all his worries away and could make him forget about the stressful world. Minhyun’s melodious voice stopped Ren’s time that he really didn’t move. Then when Minhyun did some falsetto Ren felt goosebumps all over his body. After that incident the way he sees Minhyun changed. How’d he call it? Like at first heard?

He fell in love with Minhyun’s voice. Never did he imagine that he’d like Minhyun as well. But fate has its own magical ways so he didn’t even argue when he realized that he likes Minhyun.

“Ren!” Minhyun clapped as he called Ren. “I’ve been talking here for 5 minutes but you aren’t even listening.”

“O-oh. Sorry. What is it?”

“Here, I brought some hot choco. It’s freezing cold here so I brought some for you.” Minhyun said as he offered the hot chocolate. “Drink before it gets cold too.”

“Thanks.”

As Ren took a sip of the hot choco, he couldn’t help but glance at Minhyun whose glancing back at him. That’s one of the reasons why he likes the taller man. He’s so caring. He worries for his groupmates a lot that he had the title of being the group's Mom. When the other members are down and tired, Minhyun tries his best to make the atmosphere alive. Ren, being the maknae of the group, joins the older in cheering the group up. He even said himself that he’s the Father of the group because he makes his groupmates happy.

But he likes to be the father because Minhyun is the mother. He smiled at how silly his mind works and Minhyun asked him why.

“Nah, I’m just tired. Can you sing for me, Min?”

“What song do you wanna hear Minki?”

“Uhm… how about that song you always sing? I’m in Love, right?”

“Ahh.”

And with that Minhyun’s soulful voice stood out in the quiet balcony on a cold winter night. Each and every note he sings give warmth to Ren’s mind and soul. Then Ren wondered how come Minhyun sings a love song full of emotions when he said he never experienced being in love before? Maybe he was, and even though the possibility is small, maybe he likes Ren too. Ren wouldn’t forget how Minhyun said he’s more comfortable with Ren than with other members because he can use Busan accent all day. He even said that boredom wouldn’t exist if he’s with Ren. He also calls Ren yeobo when they’re inside the dorm because Ren’s his husband right? Whether it’s Minhyun being clingy or Ren imagining things, he’s still happy that he’s able to spend some quality time with the other.

“I really love your voice, Minhyun-ah.” Ren said as soon as Minhyun finished singing.

“Hmm.”

After that both of them drown themselves in a comfortable silence with Ren stealing glances at the other as time passed by. Later on he found himself staring at the starry sky again.

“What are you thinking, Ren?” Minhyun asked all of a sudden.

“Umm?”

“I wonder what you’re thinking. It’s not normal that you’re quiet.”

Ren just nodded. What was he thinking? No, he was wishing that Minhyun feels the same way towards him too. But he couldn’t say that, he wouldn’t want to ruin such good friendship. Instead of answering Minhyun, he asked him back, “What about you? What are you thinking?”

Minhyun smiled at Ren’s question before saying, “You look exceptionally beautiful today Minki, I don’t know why.”

Ren smiled at Minhyun then stared at the sky again. Maybe, maybe he’s feeling the same.

 

---

So how's this?

Inspired by this song... You might want to listen to it. ^^

And this is the song Minhyun sang for Ren. He recommended this song on an interview when they're in Singapore too. This is also the song he sang on an episode of Making of A Star, the one in Kangreung I think?

Thank you for reading! ^_______________^

nowplaying: NELL - 섬 (Island)