The Man with No Destiny

Stupid Cupid [HIATUS]

A loud voice boomed throughout one room in the heavens, causing the deities walking in the hallway outside the room to jump in surprise. "You want me to go down there and do what?!"

"I want you to go down to the mortals, mingle with them, and make them fall in love with their fated once more. Heal broken relationships. Decrease divorce rates! Do you know how bad it is down there right now?"  The man who was sitting behind the table, who is assumed to be the main god of the heavens, pointed out. Said man who had shouted before scoffed, before sitting himself down on the chair opposite the desk.

"Look here, Zeus. I know I'm the god of love and all, but don't you think this is way out of our jurisdiction? Besides, those mortals don't even believe in us anymore! Why should we help them?" The man tried to reason. Zeus shook his head in remorse.

"I know, Cupid, and it's high time we brought back their faith in us. But that's not the point here! Did you even look at the bulletin board lately? The statistics are horrible! Divorce rates on the rise, as well as domestic violence, adultery… all sorts of problems because humans can't be bothered to stay in love with the one they're fated to be with! We've already made their lives easier for them by establishing connections between two souls that are meant to be together until the end of time, but what do they do with it? They go and commit adultery with other people who they have no connections with! This is nonsense! It's upsetting the balance of the universe!"

"Pff, and you haven't committed adultery…" Cupid whispered to himself, which made Zeus raise an eyebrow.

"What did you just say?"

"Nothing, nothing." Cupid waved a dismissive hand as he stood up from his chair to prepare to go out of the room. "I really don't want to do this! Send Ares down there or something to scare people into falling in love with each other. I don't know."

"CUPID!" Zeus finally lost his temper and shouted at Cupid, which caused thunder to roar in the heavens. Cupid froze in his steps and slowly turned back to Zeus. He was mischievous and sometimes daringly disobedient, yes, but no one pisses Zeus off because that is bad news.

"Fine, FINE." Cupid sighed, as Zeus managed to calm down and the thunders stopped. "I'll do it. But on one condition, you let me do it my way, however I want, for as long as I want. If I'm to right the balance in the world again by basically playing connect-the-dots, except with humans, I'm going to want all the time I can get. I don't like being stressed, you know."

"You have that deal." Zeus sighed as he rolled his eyes. Cupid then nodded, and made another demand.

"You're going to have to turn me mortal, then. But keep my powers, of course. It's just that, if I'm mortal, at least it would be easier to mingle with the common folk and, you know, actually find them and their destined."

Zeus rolled his eyes once more. Cupid could get really demanding and annoying sometimes, but he had no choice if he wanted him to do his job. "Fine. Just pass your left hand through the fountain of mortality, but only your left hand. If you pass through more than that, you're going to lose all of your powers. However, I am letting you do this on one condition."

Cupid already had his hand on the knob as he turned back to Zeus. "What?"

"Never fall in love with a mortal through using your powers, nor make a mortal fall in love with you by manipulating their free will, also known as, pricking them with your arrow. Ever. I'm serious this time."

It was Cupid's turn to roll his eyes at the stupid rule. He was the god of love, yes, but that doesn't mean he'll just go around falling in love with everyone! Just what did Zeus think of him? "Psh, why in Zeus' name will I do that?"

Zeus raised an eyebrow at his comment. "Watch your language, I will not have you cursing my name."

"Fine, fine. Whatever. I'm off to work then! Byes!" Cupid then finally bounded out of the room, causing Zeus to flop back down on his chair and sigh heavily.

He did not have a good feeling about this.

------------------------------------

At last, a chance to leave the boring heavens and explore the lower world! Cupid thought happily as he practically skipped towards his room to prepare for his trip. While he was walking, a strong force suddenly swooshed past and then materialised in front of him. He jumped back and almost fell in surprise, but luckily he caught himself. He glared at the now fully formed figure of a man.

"HERMES! How many times do I have to tell you to NOT do that?! I'm going to die of a heart attack one day because of you!" Cupid shouted. Hermes merely scoffed, a somewhat thick orange folder in his hands.

"Oh whatever Cupid, stop being so dramatic. You know full well gods don't die." He then shoved the folder into Cupid's hands, before winking and then swooshing past him again. "Ta-ta! Enjoy your time!"

"Ugh, I hate that guy! He's way too crafty for my liking!" Cupid grumbled as he looked over the contents of the folder while walking to his room. He raised an eyebrow as he read what looked like some sort of resumé.

"What the heck is this?" He then saw the little pink post-it attached to it. "This will be your mortal identity. You can't go around introducing yourself as the god Cupid after all -Zeus." 

Cupid couldn't help but smile. "Awww, he cares about me after all. At least now I don't have to think of a mortal identity myself." As soon as he got into his office, he pored over the contents carefully, reading every single line.

"Okay… So my name is Moon Jeong Hyeok. English name Eric. Grew up in L.A., blablabla… Okay, I guess this is good. All I have to do is go down there, assume this identity, mingle with the mortals, and then make them all fall in love. Zeus will see- I'll right so many wrongs in the world, he'll be calling me 'son' the next time I set foot in the heavens!" With this, he took the folder with him, ran his left hand through the fountain of mortality, and descended upon the lower world.

Once his feet touched the mortal ground, he instantly lost his wings, his bow and arrows, and his heavenly clothes, replaced by what the mortals currently wore. Dressed in a black long-sleeve shirt and fit jeans, he looked exactly like a mortal and was thus able to fit in beautifully. As he walked along the streets, he raised an eyebrow when people kept looking at him.

Of course, since he was a god turned mortal, though not fully, one could say that he still possessed godly beauty. Perfectly sculpted jaw, sharp nose, and big eyes- he had everything in terms of looks. And in the middle of all the hustle and bustle of this city, which he soon found out to be none other than Seoul, South Korea- people, both men and women, stopped in their tracks to gaze at him as he walked idly by. He still emanated that god-like aura, which made him even more noticeable in the middle of the rush hour crowd.

Cupid, whose name is now Eric, then started to look around and observe the people. He had the ability, like most gods, to know the names of people just by looking at them. Through his eyes, he sees the name of every person he passes by. Though, instead of seeing their lifetime and determining how much time they had left, he could see one other name- the name of the other mortal that was destined by Zeus to be with them. He, in all his godly powers, could immediately find and connect the dots as he so liked to describe it. But alas, he is partially mortal now, and he had to do this the hard way: find both of the persons who are destined to be together, put them in one place, and make them fall in love by pointing his finger at them and shooting electrical currents towards their hearts (since his arrows were no longer available). More time-consuming, yes, and harder… but he liked it down here. It was boring up there- this will give him an excuse to be away from the heavens for at least a 100 years, 200 years tops.

As if to make his work slightly easier, he immediately spotted a couple who's relationship is on the verge of breaking. He also knew this, because as the god of love, he could feel such things. Figuring that such an opportunity should give him a chance to test his 'mortalised' powers, he quickly hid behind a building and shot an electric wave of some sort from his finger in the direction of the couple. In an instant, the two looked at each other and fell in love once more.

"Honey, have I ever told you that I love you and only you?" The man said softly towards the woman, cupping her cheeks in his hands. The woman smiled, a blush forming on her cheeks.

"And I love you too. I'm sorry that we've been fighting. No matter how hard our situation gets, I won't ever leave you for another man." And with that declaration, the couple walked along the streets of Seoul, hand in hand, their eyes only trained on each other (and the road, so they could see where they were going, of course).

Okay, so that was a test run. So far, so good. Eric nodded to himself in approval, blowing his finger cockily as if it was the smoking barrel of a fired gun. He then continued to survey the streets of Seoul, not really having any definite plan on how he should move along. He didn't even know where he was going to stay- if he had his full godly powers, he would have just made himself a house then and there. But alas, since he is now partially mortal, his powers are somewhat limited. But he had no worries- he'd get used to mortal life soon enough.

He continued walking along for about an hour, when suddenly, a man came out from nowhere and bumped into him accidentally. The man bowed in apology, though he was looking quite harassed.

"I'm very sorry! I wasn't looking where I was going. Are you alright?" The man stood upright once again, an apologetic look present in his eyes. Eric, however, couldn't hide his surprise at what he saw.

The man in front of him had no name assigned to him. 

What on earth could this mean? That he's been destined by Zeus to stay alone forever? That couldn't be! He knew that Zeus wouldn't make such a mistake. He was pretty damn sure Zeus paired up every human being that existed. He must have been staring at him for a while though, as the man spoke up again, an agitated look on his face.

"I'm sorry, but are you alright?" He once again asked politely, waving a hand in front of Eric's face in an attempt to bring him back to reality.

"A-ah! Yes, yes I am alright." Eric blinked and bowed slightly as well. "Don't worry, I'm not hurt. Do continue on your way."

"Alright, thank you." The man smiled and bowed again, before hurrying off. Eric's gaze followed the man as he disappeared into one of the corners.

That was weird… Why didn't he have someone assigned to him? Ugh, where is Hermes when you need him?!

"You called?" Someone suddenly whispered into his ear, which made him jump back in surprise. He glared at said god. "How in Zeus' name did you know I was here?"

Hermes merely blinked, leaning against one of the walls near Eric. "I'm a god, duh. Which you now aren't, well, half of you anyway. Need a message delivered? USPS has nothing on me. I'm the fastest in the universe, baby. That's why the gods chose me!"

"Fine, fine, enough with your self-advertisement!" Eric sighed, frustrated. "I just need you to ask Zeus a question for me. That's all."

"And what's the question? I'll deliver the answer to you in like, two minutes." Hermes produced a paper and pen out of thin air, prepared to write down the message.

"I just met this one guy who walked past me, and he didn't have a mortal assigned to him. Ask him why."

"I'm on it. I'll be back faster than you can say chocolate cats!" And with that, Hermes disappeared to deliver the message.

Eric rolled his eyes and continued walking along, trying to figure out what he should do from now on. Plan his mortal life, devise a game plan, and think of how to procure basic necessities. Before he could even finish his thoughts though, Hermes appeared before him.

"Zeus said: 'That's up to you to figure out.' He didn't say much else." Hermes shrugged. Eric grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him, enraged.

"WHAT!? And how the heck am I supposed to work with that information?! Figure it out for myself?! How should I know, he's the one who made up the destinies and all this crap!!!"

Hermes shoved Eric off, dusting his heavenly robes. "Geez dude, calm down! Don't kill the messenger!" Eric prepared to lunge at him.

"I just might if you don't disappear right now!" And with that, Hermes dematerialised into thin air again. Eric tried to calm down his seething anger, then shoved his hands into his pockets and started walking again.

Just as he was about to cross the street, though, a quaint little coffee shop on the corner of the road caught his eye. There was something there… though he didn't know what. It seemed as though all his godly senses were beckoning him to enter that one coffee shop, even though there were three other similar coffee shops on the same block. There was just something there, though what it was, he didn't know. He decided to follow his instincts and entered.

He stopped in his tracks as soon as he saw the owner, completely taken by surprise.

Said owner smiled and greeted him when he came in. "Good evening, welcome to-- Oh, it's you! Welcome, sir!"

It was the man he had bumped into a few hours ago. The man with no destiny.

 

 

__________________________

A/N: So… yes, there you go. xD I hope this was funny and enjoyable enough. It took me a long while to write this, basically because I didn't know what to do for the first chapter. But it is now here, written! :D I'm quite happy with it. And yes, if you guys were wondering, I did research on greek mythology. I actually studied this extensively in high school as well. I just thought it would be funny if I added a little modern twist to them. xD After all, the gods should be keeping up with the mortal world's developments, now, shouldn't they? They wouldn't wanna be left behind after all. xD And! Cupid's power to see the names and whatnot- I took that idea from Death Note. You know, where the shinigami (death gods) can see the name and lifetime of a person? Yep, that one. Also, the fountain of mortality thing- not sure if that exists, but I just made that up. Yeeeah.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it!