Thoughts

Even the strongest shelf can break

~*EUNJI'S POV*~


I sighed as I stepped off the damp green grass that lay in front of my house, surrounded by a white picket fence, and on to the cracked concrete sidewalk.

It was the first day of the new semester.  I began the slow repetitive walk to school.

The path I had to follow was ingrained in my memory from the repetition of walking to school for well, forever.

I liked that though.  It meant that I could just spend my time thinking, not that I had much to think about really.

But I also liked that.  It meant that I could fill my mind with useless things.

 

I could think about how the sky was filled with clouds, and wonder if it was going to rain later. 

Or I could look at a flower and think “That looks pretty.”

But no matter what, I always thought about the things that weren’t important, the things that meant nothing to me.

Because that way, I didn’t have to think about the things that did.

There are a lot of things that were important to me, once upon a time.

 

 I smiled sarcastically and rolled my eyes.

“That time is long gone, sweetheart.” I muttered.

And the best part about thinking about unimportant things? It caused hour by hour to pass in what felt like seconds.

I was just thinking my life away, and I didn’t regret it one bit.

I arrived at school. Oh, how I love school.

I looked up past the large metal gates.

It was a big school, with big uniform buildings and lots of windows. Despite it being big, it was crammed full of students.

There were the annoying jocks, to their giggling admires, and everything in between.

And then there was me.

Haha Me.

Me, who didn’t fit into any of the possible categories. Nope, not even loner. I practically didn’t exist.

But I liked it that way. It meant that, while people pushed me around a bit, mostly my day was peaceful.

Peaceful?

No, not quite peaceful… A better way to describe it was… forgettable.

The days passed by, and I quickly forgot the details of the previous one.

 

I trudged through the gates, making my way towards the main building.

Once inside, I walked straight to my locker, grabbing the books I needed for my first class.

I looked at the list of subjects I had for the day and groaned.

I had History first.

Just. Damn. Great.

I dragged myself to homeroom first, going to the desk I always sat at.

It was right at the back of the room, in the corner.

I sat down, and begin to fill my head with useless thoughts.

 

The day flew by in what felt like just an hour and before I knew it, I only had one class left before I could go home and spend the rest of the day doing nothing.  

Luckily, I had Art. Art was pretty much the only subject I could stand.

I made my way through the over-crowded hall ways, pushing past the mass of students, and equally being pushed back.  

I got to the art room, a large room in one of the left buildings.

I just made it to a desk when our teacher walked in and started to talk.

I figured that it was probably nothing important and started to tune out, turning my attention to the boy sitting in front of me.

I looked at his overall appearance, well, what I could see from the back.

He was wearing jeans and a jacket. His hair was neat.

He looked like the average popular guy.

 I wondered who he was, was he a new student? I don’t recall ever seeing him before…

But this is a big school. He could have been here for years and I wouldn’t have seen him.

And I didn’t pay any attention to the other students here anyway; he could have been sitting near me in class for years and I probably wouldn’t notice.

All of a sudden I heard the students around me chattering, and the general energy of the room had risen. 

I glanced around in confusion, before deciding that maybe I should actually pay attention.

“As you may have heard from your seniors or you will most likely have seen it before, every year we get our juniors to do a large piece of artwork, which we then have an exhibition for.” Our teacher, a fairly tall young man said.

“You may also know that it is a contest, the winner gaining a scholarship for their final year of school. But by winning you are also given many advantages and opportunities later on when you are in university.” He continued.

“Well, every single year, the exhibition has a different theme. This year’s is about inner emotions, and stories of experience. You will be able to fully express yourself!”

He went off on a 30 minute rant about emotions and stories and how important they were.

 

I sighed. Great, I knew all too much about inner emotions and stories of experience.

By this point, everyone in the room was chatting to their friends, discussing their ideas.

“But, there is a twist.” Our teacher said. It went so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.

“You will be working with a partner, which means you will have to mix your ideas together to create one amazing piece of artwork.”

For a second, all you could hear was chairs moving closer together, as people silently picked their friends to be their partners.

He continued. “However I will be choosing your partners.”

There was a collective groan from the students.

And then the bell rang. It was the end of class.

“Sorry students, I will have to tell you your partners tomorrow.”

He promptly left, and as he walked out the door I swear I saw him grin.

It’s annoying when teachers do that. They make you wait to find out things.

Oh well. At least it’s the end of the day.

 

I dumped my books in my locker and walked out of the main building.

As I walked towards the main gates, I saw a group of guys and girls sitting on a low wall of a garden bed.

It wasn’t hard to see that the girls were trying so hard to get their attention. 

I rolled my eyes. Do they know how pathetic they look?

They all wear skimpy clothes and heaps makeup. They giggle and flirt and try to seduce the guys they like.

I was about to turn my eyes away when something caught my attention. It was that guy from earlier, the one that was sitting in front of me in art.

So he is popular, just like I had thought.

I smirked and continued to walk home.

 

Arriving at my house, I unlocked the door and flung my bag onto the couch.

I went upstairs, took a shower and then lay on my bed.

Glancing around, my eyes landed on the only shelf in my room.

I stood up and walked over to it.

It was a small shelf, painted black.

There were several things sitting on it.

A pair of glasses, a porcelain doll and a bag of cotton candy. 

These three items filled up pretty much the entire shelf.

I sighed and turned away from it. I didn’t want to look at those three Items.

 

I plopped back onto my bed, and filled my mind with useless thoughts.

So that I didn’t have to think about those three items, and the things that did matter.