One Last Promise

Don't Cry

"Sweetheart, please? Just this once, for me." I begged my one and only daughter for the nth time.

"Okay, fine. For you." She sighed and gave up. "You know I'd do anything for you." She smiled at me and hugged me.

I would too. More than anything. I whispered with a heavy heart.


"Annyeonghaseyo, Appa." I can sense her body tense at the sight of the man before her.

What did I just say? Why wouldn't she? Even I did, before I decided some things are more important than the other. But she hasn't realised this, has she? She's still growing up. A wide free future is waiting for her to choose and pass.

I heaved a sigh and strengthen my will.

He's my only hope, I convinced myself once again. It's a fact, and as much as I hate myself for making this silly decision, this is the best. The only one option available, truth be told. But at least I know he wouldn't hurt her. He's an angelic father, though a jerk of a husband.

We sat down and ordered a lunch. I chose something random. I doubt I'll be tasting it anyway.

"So, how are you?" He tried to open up a conversation. His eyes are not directed towards me though, but to my, no, our girl.

"Holding up." She answers briefly, indicating her distaste in his attempt, so he shut up.

The food came and despite the delicious aroma, my stomach churn out of nerves instead of apetite.

I peeked up of my plate and noticed that just like me, everyone are picking on their untoucheed food, basked in the thick atmosphere around us.

"Okay," I broke them off their trance. I can definitely guess both's. "let's get straight to business, shall we?"

None of them responded, so I continued.

"I'm dying."

I announced in a practiced, controlled voice.

She looked flabbergasted, horrified and speechless. I can already see tears hanging on to her eyelashes, though I pretend not to.

My ex's face was unreadable. He knew about this.

"And you, will be living with him when.. the time comes." I directed my sentence at my baby.

Her eyes immediately widen with shock, her jaws hung open and after the realizaation hit her, anger seep into her face.

"How could you." Her words were muttered with boiling emotion and emphasis on each letter, each piercing my heart deeply, but I am too well prepared for this. How can I not, when her reaction is exactly as I predicted? After all I'm still the only one who knows her by heart.

What I didn't foretell was she kicked the table away, smashed her eating utensils on the floor and dashed out the door.

It did not take a long time for me to react. This is not America anymore, she can't communicate that well, and she doesn't even know her way around. She's never going to change, is she?

"I'm sorry!" I yelled out to my ex-husband, which of course was only a formality, and ran after her.

I looked around and-"NO!" I yelled inside my head, as there's not enough time to voice it out.

I was too busy saving the most precious person in the world-my blood.

I ran towards her: onto the busy road.


"UMMA!" I hear her voice faintly and turn to my right to find her crouching, no, kneeling on the hard cement, bawling her heart out and trashing at the crowd, shouting incoherent words.

I wouldn't have realised I got hurt if it wasn't for the blood clouding my vision.

"Hey." I speak out, calming my fast heartbeat down, and smiled as I realised she's only got a slight scratch on her arm, nothing time wouldn't heal.

"Umma-" "Listen," I whispered.

"I know you've been trying to be what I want all along," I hitched a breath, "stop."

"I'm not going to be here again, so go. Chase your dream." I forced a squeaky breath in again.

"And remember,." I keep my smile on.

"Later on, don't cry anymore, because my hand may not be able to wipe your tears anymore."

"Eomma-" She gulped in a lump as I wiped her tears away.

"For me. Promise me." I forced the hoarse sound out. She nodded with eyes flooding and roughly wipes her tears away.

This moment came a bit too soon, but I believe in her. I've made sure she can hold on. She's strong enough.

She bent down to hug me and I put my hand around her, squeeziing my treasure as close as I can to me, as my weak and useless tears slipped away behind her back, my hand barely holding hers inside mine.

I muttered my final prayer for her future and closed my eyes, tears still trickling.

I'm so sorry, kid.

-------------

Too short? o.o okay sorry ._.

SUB&COMMENT ARE LOVED & HIGHLY RECCOMENDED ;;)

-aisssh-