My One & Only Friend

Only Friend

Changbum kept his hood up and head down as his classmates made fun of his new hairstyle. His mom said it looked fine but that was the thing, his mom was the one who said it. He whimpered when one of the guys threw a pen at him, the tip grazing against the skin of his face.

The girls didn't do anything and we're just snickering in the background but their snorts were enough to blow his pride. The worst part was that the teacher didn't even bother to stop them. He gripped onto his pen tighter and sribbled down a couple notes. Changbum tried to distract himself from the dude kicking his chair from behind.

"You look like a chicken you dimwit!"

Changbum chose to ignore the daft comment, his hands balling into fists by his side. He felt his insides curl when someone came up to him and pulled his hood away. He gaped at the intruder, hands relaxing and his features less tense. "Do you need something, Hyukjin?". He cursed at how small his voice sounded.

He felt his face heat up when Hyukjin beamed and shook his head, his hair bouncing on the top of his head. "I just wanted to say that your hair looks fine to me. It's actually really nice on you." Hyukjin chirped, petting the honey coloured hair. "Thanks, I guess."

"See you later, Bummie."

<( ̄︶ ̄)>

Changbum tried to get some shut eye. He tucked his hands underneath his backpack, feet curling underneath his blazer. Changbum felt the rain pound against his skin through the thin school uniform. Of all days he chooses to forget his keys, it just had to be today. The landlord wasn't even around and he was pretty sure he was going to be sick the next morning. He curled up on the footstep, teeth chattering from the cold. 

"Bummie, is that you?"

Changbum tried to swallow the lump in his throat when he heard that voice. That voice that made him melt and warm inside though he was shivering on the outside. "Hi, Hyukjin."

"Are you locked out?" Hyukjin asked, joining Changbum on the footstep.

"What does it look like?"

Hyukjin pouted at Changbum's cold response. "I have microwaveable spaghetti and honey tea at my place. Care to join me?"

"Don't you have other friends. Friends that can treat you to real spaghetti and tons of wine at some restaurant. Why aren't you with them instead?"

"They're boring. All they talk about are girls and . I'm on the more innocent side of the fence." Hyukjin chuckled, pulling Changbum's arm to get him to stand up. "Plus, they're mean. I don't like them."

"Then why do you talk to them? You can have anyone as your friend but you choose them?"

"I talk to them because you won't notice me if I don't."

"Why would you want me to notice you?"

"Because I think I like you."

<( ̄︶ ̄)>

Changbum hadn't meant for Hyukjin to end up with a busted lip and bruised cheek. He didn't mean to sock him in the face. "Holy crap I did not mean for that."

"It's fine, I understand." Hyukjin sighed, wincing when the wind blew against his cut. "I'll just head back.".

Changbum watched with a heavy heart as Hyukjin's hands shook as he tried to insert the key into the lock.

"Did you say something about microwaveable spaghetti and tea because I've been craving some lately?"

Changbum let a small smile grace his features when Hyukjin squealed and tugged him into his apartment.

<( ̄︶ ̄)>

Changbum grinned when Hyukjin got a bit of the sauce on his lips, staining them blood red. 

"Why are you staring at me? Have you finally realised how cute I am?"

"You've got sauce on your lips, dummy."

"Where is it? And Hyukjinnie isn't a dummy." Hyukjin whined and sulked, hands running all over his face to clean off the sauce.

"Right here, dummy."

Changbum swiped his thumb over Hyukjin's lower lip. He jumped when he felt static coursing through him. His heart was beating really fast and his mind was muddled. Hyukjin had also jumped back. He must've felt it too.

"I think I should go. I'm just going to call the landlord and see whether she has a spare key somewhere." Changbum mumbled, pulling on his blazer and stumbling out of the door.

<( ̄︶ ̄)>

Hyukjin's hands played with the loose thread on his hoodie. Changbum was the one auditioning today but he was feeling more nervous than Changbum. Changbum was taking longer than the other participants and Hyukjin had been sitting alone for nearly twenty minutes. 

Hyukjin shot out from his seat when the double doors finally opened and Changbum came swaggering out, a stack of paper in his hand. "I'm a trainee now, Jinnie! They told me that I was one of the best participants and I was immediately accepted! I don't even have to go through the second round of auditions.".

Hyukjin tried to make his smile more genuine. He really was happy about Changbum but what was going to happen to them? Hyukjin's allowance couldn't ferry him back and forth from Daegu to Seoul like it was nothing.

"Hey, are you okay Jinnie?"

"I'm fine. I'm just really happy for you."

"Hyukjin, you know you can't lie to me right? Now tell me the truth."

"Changbum, what's going to happen to us? I won't get to see you and you'll be too busy training back in Seoul to do anything with me."

"Wait for me. I'll train really hard and when I debut, I'll save up money to get you an apartment in Seoul and I'll even pay for your bus fare and everything you need. Just promise me that you'll wait for me. Study hard and graduate. Then the rest we'll be mine to handle."

"Do you promise Changbum?"

"I swear I'll remember."

<( ̄︶ ̄)>

-Two years later-

Hyukjin waited by his phone as he watched the performance. Changbum was a star now and he was stuck in the countryside. Changbum was the popular one now and Hyukjin was the lonely one. Hyukjin checked his inbox again. Still empty. 

"Changbum doesn't break promises. He'll text me soon." Hyukjin whispered to himself, eyes trailing back to the tv screen. Hyukjin had gotten himself a decent television set after slaving away at the market selling fish with some of the local grandmothers just to watch Changbum and s perform. He promised that he'd watch every single performance they had and he kept to it. He never missed a single one.

Hyukjin sighed when the clock struck midnight. He'd rewatched Changbum's performance again and again and there still wasn't anything in his inbox. "He'll text me in the morning. I know he will." Hyukjin muttered, sliding underneath the covers of his bed.

<( ̄︶ ̄)>

Hyukjin woke up with a start. He heard something colliding with his window. "The landlord's going to kill me tomorrow." Hyukjin groaned and rolled out of his bed, pulling on his t-shirt and brushed out the tangles in his hair. 

He trudged towards the window. Hyukjin saw someone standing below, waving up at him. His eyes were still blurry with sleep but there was only one person who it could be.

"Changbum!" Hyukjin squealed. Hyukjin ran to the other side of his room and pulled on a pair of sweats and his sneakers before rushing down the stairs and out the door.

He didn't stop running till the both of them were rolling around in the grass while hugging.

"Nice to see you again Jinnie."

"It's really nice to see you too you little celebrity." Hyukjin teased and got up, pulling Changbum with him.

The two sat on a bench not too far away."

The air was tense and Hyukjin disliked it.

"Changbum, can I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

"Do you have any friends back in Seoul?"

"Nope."

"How come?"

"Because you're my one and only friend."

 

 

a/n: I finally finished this up.....well the story ended up differently. Upvote, comment and subscribe ^_^ Thank you guys <3~