Rainy Days & Karaoke

Heliophilia

‘Omo. It’s raining so heavily. Man, I wanted to bring us back to that clearing,’ I huffed, watching it pour. Millions of tiny raindrops pelted the windows before sliding down the glass. The skies were a gloomy grey, and dark clouds scudded across the heavens. Beneath the windows, large puddles had already begun to form.

Baekhyun and I were in his room, taking shelter from the heavy rain. We’d been on our way back to the creek where we’d stargazed last night; Baekhyun excited to see how that beautiful, peaceful clearing looked like in the light of day, but it had begun to pour before we had even made it halfway there.

‘Mfphmfgn.’

‘Huh?’

Baekhyun succeeded in pulling his half-drenched shirt over his head, reaching for a clean one.

‘I said, “I wanted to go back, too.”’

I immediately averted my eyes when I realized he was topless, a flush creeping up my cheeks.

‘Are you done?’

‘Hang on. I’m still pulling my sweats on.’

I think I nearly got a nosebleed.

‘Done~’ he announced. I sighed in relief and turned back round. Baekhyun—fully dressed, thank the heavens—was pawing through his wardrobe.

‘Here,’ he tossed me one of his red hoodies and a pair of large basketball shorts, ‘change out of your wet things. The hoodie might be a little short for you, but you’re skinny enough to fit. And these shorts… I’ve actually never worn them. Christmas gift from a distant cousin. You can have them, if you like.’

He gazed at me expectantly. I realized that he was waiting for me to change.

‘Errrr. Do you mind if I use your bathroom?’ I asked awkwardly, my cheeks burning up again.

He shrugged, ‘sure. You know where it is.’

 

Mrs Byun had kindly offered to wash my wet clothes for me. I changed hurriedly. The hoodie really was a little too short, thank goodness the shorts were huge, but they smelled just like Baekhyun, and that made my heart thump erratically for reasons I could not fathom.

‘Hey, those shorts fit you well. You really should keep them. You look better in them now than I ever will.’ Baekhyun smiled as I re-entered his room.

You look good in everything, moron.

The thought flashed in my head but I said nothing.

I plopped down onto the bed opposite Baekhyun.

‘Let’s play a game!’ I grinned.

‘But all the board games are over at your house,’ Baekhyun frowned, ‘and so is Prince.’

I cocked my head, thinking hard, ‘I know! We can play 20 questions!’

Baekhyun looked at me quizzically. I reminded myself that he wouldn’t know any of the games we played in elementary school.

‘Right… don’t worry; I’ll explain it to you. Basically, we take turns asking each other 20 questions. You can start. You can ask me anything you like. The only rule of the game is that you have to answer the question, otherwise you'll get a punishment. My teacher used to make us play this during recess. She'd say it would help our class to get to know each other better and I sorta know where she was coming from and I think it could've helped if the class were a little smaller and a little more cooperative I mean the guys just used to ask the stupidest questions and— Right. Rambling. Sorry,' I flushed a little in embarrassment.

Baekhyun giggled amusedly,'that's all right. I thought it was cute.

'Well, I'm game. Shall we begin?'

 

...[to make my life easier Chanyeol will be in blue and Baekhyun in red ok]...

 

Favorite colour?

That's too easy! Mm, red.

Well I thought we should start small!’ Baekhyun huffed unhappily, 'Favourite food.'

'Why it's pizza, honey, if you'd really like to know.'

'. Ummmmm. Favourite... band?'

That was just weak, Byun.’ 

'Your FACE is weak, Park.'

THAT'S IT, NOW THIS IS PERSONAL.

 

That maybe-kinda-a-little-bit-probably made me tackle Baekhyun into the bed and tickle him until he squealed and begged for mercy and consequently ended our game before we even reached 5 questions.

Heh.

I stopped after Baekhyun began getting a little breathless.

‘No, but seriously, what kind of music do you listen to?’ Baekhyun asked curiously, his head tilted questioningly to the side in the most adorable way.

Cute puppy Byun is cute.

'Weeelll. I do punk rock. And some indie too, I guess,' I replied thoughtfully, 'why?'

Baekhyun seemed to flush a little, I couldn't tell if i was imagining it.

'I-I just.. I liked your game. I'd always wanted to get to know you better.'

OH GOD STUPID BLOOD GET AWAY FROM MAH FACE.

'So,' I coughed awkwardly, trying to hide the fact that my face was heating up like a stove, 'what about you? You sing so beautifully, I'm sure you listen to a lot of music.'

Baekhyun seemed to consider this.

'Well.. I usually get hand-me-downs,' he explained as he got to his feet, 'but this belonged to a neighbour,' he reached for a worn album that sat on the top shelf, 'and it's one of my favouri‘—'

'HOLYMACARONI BYUNBAEK AGSHJFHJAKDFH IS THAT THE LIMITED EDITION VINTAGE IMAGINE DRAGONS ALBUM YOU LUCKY DWEEB!'

That. Unfortunately came out a little more highly-pitched than I had intended. It was a manly squeal ok don't go judgin.

Baekhyun nodded with an amused smile. Reaching over, he carefully put the cd onto the sound system, and a familiar tune began to play.

Immediately, I began to half-shout the lyrics, playing air guitar as I belted out the chorus.

" ‘Cause I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
Waiting on this for a while now
Paying my dues to the dirt
I’ve been waiting to smile, ‘ay
Been holding it in for a while, ‘ay
Take it with me if I can
Been dreaming of this since a child
I’m on top of the world. "

i realised that Baekhyun was just staring at me. He looked extremely scandalized.

i scratched my head sheepishly, 'is my singing really that bad?'

Baekhyun nodded.

My heart sank.

'Only because...you didn't wait for me to sing it too!' Baekhyun mock pouted. He then broke into a large grin and started singing, bouncing up and down on his bed, his hairbrush becoming a makeshift microphone.

I shook my head at his antics, before grabbing two pens and turning them into drum sticks, tapping out the beat as I sang along.

It was a miracle nobody set the cops on us for being public disturbances.

 

We finally paused for breath after we'd sung our way through Radioactive, It's TIme and Tiptoe as well.

Exhausted, Baekhyun plopped onto the floor next to me, resting his head on my outstretched thighs and closed his eyes.

i froze, afraid that any jarring movement might dislodge this dozing child from my lap.

His eyes still closed, Baekhyun mumbled, 'I never thought I could have this much fun on a rainy day. Thanks Channie.'

 

 

-------

HOMAIGAD I WAS DONE WITH THIS ALREADY BUT DIDN"T UNCHECK HIDE CHAPTER.

er oops?

i'm SOOOOO sorry I haven't updated sooner!!

I love you? 

Anyway I hope you all don't mind my indie music!! EVERYBODY SHOULD LISTEN TO IMAGINE DRAGONS SPAZZZZ.

I REGRET NOTHING.

thanks for all your comments and subscriptions!

hugs and kisses all around!!