Interspersion

12-12-12

 

He should know that something that this good will not last forever.

At least, when it is related to them. To her and him. But to tell the truth, he is never believe that there is ‘them’ in the beginning anyway.

Just like he never thought that they would have these coffee dates for almost a year. When he distastes the flavor and she thinks caffeine is poison.

But sometimes, a ridiculous thing is the best thing in life. And he knows that for outside world, ‘them’ is ridiculous.

And in the back of his mind, he holds to the absurdity with all his might, particularly when he comes to apprehension that seeing her smiling is the most wonderful feeling in the world.

It is getting late and he is sure she will not come today.

And if she is really not, then she will not come again in near future.

But then, they predict that will happen anyway, right?

That first coffee date that was not a date and without any coffee, was actually an incident that both were not really thinking to plan so.

True, there were secret glances and stolen touches from where both were gladly participate whenever circumstances were allowed.

But that’s all before, until he accidentally chose a different coffee shop to buy his usual vanilla tea latte in a wrong time of day, because when was he ever felt a burning need of a healthy drink that early in a summer morning?

He still believes it was an accident, but a pleasant and beautiful one because it consisted of the young girl that he secretly adored. The very one who greeted him with beautiful eyes and cheeks that blossomed red like a tomato.  

He never knows that he likes her because of her voice and her brain until they chatted that day, smiling and then laughing when they realized it was six am in the sixth of June.

“Let’s meet again next month on the seventh at seven am.” He threw a challenge because that’s how he was and that’s how she liked it. He had been watching her too much to know that she was one of competition freaks in the group.

“It’s a deal, Oppa.” She shook his hand and while his insight was doing a flip flop dancing he had managed to keep his trademark evil grin outside. Her hand was warm and he liked it.

And that’s how they are mending their not-so-much-relationship by sitting together in the secluded café, sipping their own choices of drinks that never consisting of any kind of coffee but calling their not-so-much-dates as coffee dates.

“Because we are not dating and we are not drinking coffee.” She said it once on their third not-really-a-date date when he asked why.  He thought she was blushing prettily so he did not mind when the reasoning was not really reasonable.

This new found routine are happening throughout the year and today it will be their twelfth dates since sometimes one or both were not able to make it because of their over-the-top schedules. But every time it happened, the one who could not make it would say so.

Not this time, though.

It is twelve minutes after noon on the twelfth of December, and it is the first time she is late without warning.

He sips the last drop of his Frappuccino and thrown it down the trash bin with a thump. 

He knows this day will coming anyway yet the sick feeling in his stomach stays stubbornly like a monument for his mistake.

The hope in his heart that what they have is actually what is called an interrelation. That he is not by himself on this rollercoaster of feeling.

Apparently he is wrong.

He skims the little café for the last time, because the heck that he will come back again for sometimes. Sadly he is not as strong inside as he shows the world outside.

Maybe because no one could be a poker face when falling in love is all about.

He pushes the door and closes it softly behind him, heart flinching because he actually likes the milk tea.

“I like the green tea Frappuccino a lot too.”

He stuns when he hears that singing voice and snaps his eyes around to catch her standing on the wall with chapped lips. It is clear that she has been there for a while.

“You….. why?”

He is confuse, his brain tells him to leash at her for making him wait, while his heart wants him to scope the freezing girl into his arms. Both of what he has no privilege to.

Because all they do are coffee dates, and they don’t even drink coffee and those are not dates.

She smiles shyly and her eyes wonder on his in worry. Yet because she is what she is, she comes closer and carefully tells him.

“I want to break up the continuity.”

Their eyes meet and suddenly he understands.

He is wrong, indeed. But it is not of the intention that she has, and the hopes that he holds.

He is simply wrong to think that he is the only one who wants to insert more feeling on what they already have anyway.

He is not the only person who craves more.

“So you break the deal.”

Her smiles is widened, she knows he finally gets the final clue. It is a statement not a question anyway.

Then he steps forward, brushing the strand of hair that falling on her forehead.

“Do you know what this means now?” He huskily asks.

She shakes her head but there are equal excitements on her eyes.

“You can’t freeze yourself unless I am with you.”

They both step forward until she can feel his breath on her ears.

“Why is so, Kyuhyun Oppa?”

He closes their gap and pulls her into his arms then laughs when he feels her shivering because of the ghostly touch of his lips on the side of her head.

“Because I am your human blanket, Joohyunnie!”

He taps her nose playfully and lifts her chin to claim what his heart wants to since the first time he sees her on the wall.

He kisses her and she kisses back.

And it is twelve minutes after the apprehension.

 

Interspersion (n) --- (1) to break something’s continuity and (2) to insert something here and there

It is SEOKYU because it is the pairing that starts everything anyway.

12 - 12 -12