Forty nine

Twisted Fate

“Breaking news! The heir of Wu Corporations, Kris Wu, and daughter of the Park Enterprise, Park Yeomin, are rumoured to be engaged…”

“Yah Lee Eun-“ Luhan faltered when he heard the television. His hands released Eun Mi’s cheeks and dropped by his side weakly. Eun Mi’s eyes widened and the plastic cup slipped out of her hand. They looked at each other, confused.

“… An insider from one of the top leading companies has claimed to have spotted the two heading out of a hotel together. It appeared as though the two have spent some time together as Mr Wu’s blazer was seen on Miss Park – whose hair was slightly messy. Could this be a shotgun marriage? What could the two top companies be up to? Stay tuned-” Kris grabbed the remote and changed the channel the moment Luhan and Eun Mi walked in. Unfortunately, fate wasn’t on his side today.

“Kris Wu and Park Yeomin have been confirmed to be engaged!” Pictures of Kris and Yeomin pop up one after another and the four of them watch with wide eyes.

Yeomin covered in shock. Kris clenched onto the remote so hard that his knuckles turned white. *So that was why they kept sending people to follow us.*

Luhan felt his heart drop at all the pictures of his girlfriend being close to another guy. He turned and met with her apologetic eyes.

Eun Mi’s lips trembled. She felt betrayed, both by her boyfriend and her best friend.

Kris turned off the tv and turned to Eun Mi and Luhan.

Everything was silent. It seemed as though the whole world stopped turning.

Without a word, Eun Mi grabbed her bag and sprinted out the door. Kris grabbed his jacket and ran after her, leaving Luhan and Yeomin.

Luhan turned to Yeomin, a pang of pain hit his chest when he realised that the girl standing before him was engaged to someone that was not him. He gave her the weakest smile he could muster, “It’s getting late, you should leave.”

Yeomin felt her world crumble down. No matter how late it was, Luhan had never told her to leave, it had always been her that decided to go home. Her greatest fear was betraying him, and now she had no idea how to face it.

Yeomin opened to say something, but her conscience didn’t allow her to. Luhan was mad at her, so she had no right to talk to him. Holding in her tears, she picked up her coat and walked towards the door. “Happy birthday, Luhan,” she spoke before leaving the house.

As he heard her footsteps disappear, Luhan fell to the floor and buried his face into his palms. He had a feeling that something bad was going to happen, but this was not what he had in mind.

“Eun Mi, wait!” Kris shouted as he ran after his girlfriend. He grabbed her wrist but she pulled away and continued walking. “Listen to me!” He grabbed her shoulder and spun her around. Eun Mi glared at him and he sighed, knowing that she wouldn’t listen to anything he said right now. “I’ll… drive you home.”

“I don’t want to go home,” she replied coldly.

“Then where do you want to go? I’ll drive you!”

----------

Kris stood behind and watched as Eun Mi walked along the bank of the Han River. Since it was a weekday, not many people were around, so everything seemed more silent than it seemed.  He stopped walking when she stopped.

Eun Mi picked up a bunch of rocks and threw them into the river one at a time. She needed to throw something, or else her heart would pop.

Not being able to stand it anymore, Kris came up from behind and touched her shoulder. “Eun Mi.”

She grabbed his hand and pushed it away. “You lied.”

“I didn’t want to lie, you need to trust me-”

“I did trust you, Kris. I trusted you so much I even thought that we’d be ‘happy ever after’. If you didn’t want to lie then why didn’t you tell me you were engaged to my best friend sooner?!” Eun Mi screamed.

“It was an arranged marriage!” Kris shouted. “We knew neither you nor Luhan would take it well so we wanted to wait until things were better.”

“I wouldn’t take it well? Well am I taking it well now?! I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t have hurt as much if I had heard this from my boyfriend rather than the stupid news!”

“Listen I know you’re mad about the marriage, but-”

“I’m not mad about the arranged marriage, Kris. I’m mad that you didn’t even trust me enough to tell me about this sooner.”

Kris sighed. “Eun Mi, you know that you’re the only person I trust-”

“If you trusted me then why didn’t you tell me?” Eun Mi whispered. “You’re always telling me to trust you, but have you ever trusted me?”

“I do trust you Eun Mi, I trusted you ever since day one,” Kris spoke gently as he gathered Eun Mi into his arms. “I trusted you so much I even gave my heart to you.”

Eun Mi pushed him away with a hard stare. “I trusted you but now, I’m not so sure anymore.” She turned around and walked away.

Kris watched her leave and ruffled his hair in frustration. He threw his jacket to ground and kicked it angrily.

------------------------

“It’s a pleasure to have you call me today Minhee-ah, we definitely need to catch up some time,” Mrs Wu smiled as she spoke on the phone.

BAM!

The door of her room home office burst opened, revealing an agitated Kris.

Mrs Wu gave him a look before turning back to the phone. “I’ll call you back.” She hung up and pointed to her door. “Go out and knock again.”

“Why did you do that?” Her command flew right past Kris’ ear.

“Do what?” she asked.

Kris grunted. “Don’t act innocent, I know you were the one that gave the reporters those photos, and you were also the one that sent people to check on Yeomin and I.”

A little smile formed on Mrs Wu’s face. “I warned you about Eun Mi already, didn’t I?”

Kris slammed her desk with both hands. “But you didn’t need to go that far!”

“Would I have done it if you had acted the right way?” Mrs Wu snapped and stood up. “I told you to stay away from that Eun Mi girl and what do you do? Flirt with her right in your fiancée’s company.”

Kris clenched his fist as he tried to keep himself from snapping out the wrong things and getting everyone into trouble.

 Mrs Wu peered at him. “You didn’t tell Eun Mi about this did you?”

Kris stayed quiet and looked away. Mrs Wu smirked and crossed her arm. “How funny is that? I’ve been thinking about how this poor girl was able to brainwash my son and change him into a completely different person, and now I find out that he’s exactly the same as he was before. Am I supposed to be happy or disappointed that your bad personality is still here?” she mused.

“Don’t talk like you know me,” Kris said through gritted teeth. “You know nothing about me.”

Mrs Wu chuckled and stared straight into her son’s eyes. “Think about it Kris, you bought this on yourself. After everything, you are still going to get married to Yeomin either way, so why are you making this so hard for everyone? Why don’t you just let that Eun Mi girl go find another rich guy and then you can marry Yeomin will your whole heart? Think about your future with Yeomin compared to Eun Mi, which one will give you a better life? This is Park Yeomin of the Park Enterprise we’re talking about.”

Kris thought for a moment before staring straight back into her eyes. “No, and since everything is out now, there’s nothing left to hide anymore.” He stood up straight and smirked. “Yeomin and I aren’t getting married.”

He left her speechless as he stormed out of the room.