Final

Smile

Park Sunyoung, or also known as Luna is Seoul University’s very own sunflower. She has a cheerful and bubbly personality, dubbed as the ‘second BoA’ due to her beautiful voice and similar appearance. When her friends are in trouble, Luna would be the first person they will come to. Luna is never seen without a smile, she always bring her own sunshine whenever and wherever she goes.

But when someone puts on a smile, it doesn’t always mean that he or she is happy, many people are in fact fooled by it. Contrary to what other people thinks, Sun young’s personality is nowhere near bubbly or cheerful. Behind her smile lies a very dark past and pain that she kept for a very long time; she has a lot of friends but trusts no one. In the morning she is Luna, but at night she is Park Sun Young.

Sun young comes from a well-known family; her families own one of the large mining businesses in town. Being one of the younger ones in her generation, Sun young is often compared to her elder successful siblings, even if it means not being yourself and throwing away your dreams. Ever since she was a kid, Sun young dreamed of being psychiatry. Many people would come to her for advice as they believe she is trustworthy and wise in her judgment.  But at the age of eighteen, Sun young threw away her dream as she was forced to major in accounting instead. Sun young is never good with calculations, she is not stupid in it either, but it takes her a little longer to process the calculations and the formulas. During her first semester, she failed all of her subjects. It is not that she does not study at all, Sun young spent most of her time in the library trying to solve every question given by her lecturers. Sometimes jealousy overcomes her whenever she sees her friends solved the questions in a blink of an eye, or them passing the subject despite not attending the class.

Sun young sighed as she remembered those times; it has been a difficult journey. When she failed all of her subjects, her family is not helping either; they blamed her for being lazy and incapability to count properly. No one knows about her distressed, no one knows about her struggle, and no one knows about her scars.

 

                                                                                                *

 

“Mind sharing a piece of your thought?” Asked a boy as he took a seat next to Luna

“Oh hello to you too, Suho.” Replied Luna sarcastically

“It’s Joonmyun oppa for you, Sun young.”

“Whatever”

 

There is a long yet comfortable silence between them, as both youngsters are busy with each of their thoughts. Kim Joon Myun, or also known as Suho is Luna’s childhood friend; they come from the same social class and despite him being a couple of years older, they managed to become the best of friends. Unlike Luna’s family, Suho’s family is not as forceful as hers. Suho knows about Luna’s problem and after knowing Luna for almost all of his life, it is no surprise if he knows her better than anyone else, better than her own family. Suho left Korea to continue his studies in Edinburg University and specializes in law, but he would come back occasionally to meet his family and Luna.

 

“When did you come back?”

“Today morning”

“Oh”

“I came to your house just now, but they told me you weren’t at home.”

“I have class just now.”

“It is Friday, Sun young. You have a day off every Friday.”

 

Gosh, Luna loves the way Suho called her name. She misses him, she misses his voice and she misses her companion.

 

“How do you know?”

“Let’s say I have my own sources.” Shrugged Suho, he looked at Luna and smiled. “I miss you.”

“I don’t miss you. And how did you know I was here?”

“For a girl, you sure asked a lot of questions. Whenever you feel sad or in distress, you would often go to the chapel to pray or meditate. And how I know you feel sad, let’s just say my intuitions tell me so. Happy?” chuckled Suho

“Unbelievable.” Replied Luna with a pout, but she could not help but smile at his answer.

 

                                                                                                *

 

Suho sent Luna home, and he was invited for dinner too by Luna’s parents. Her parents are rarely at home, so Luna was kind of surprised when she saw them. Luna can tell how much her parents admire and like Suho, they are able to talk about any topics comfortably just like old friends. She look at her parents bitterly, her family never treats that friendly.

“So Joonmyun, while you are in Korea. Please help Sun young in her studies. She seems to be left behind; she kept on failing her subjects.”

“Uncle, I’m sure she has been really diligent. Please have more faith in her.”

“I guess her effort is not enough.”

Luna putted down her spoon; she can no longer listen to her father’s words “I’m done eating. I’ll see you tomorrow, oppa.”

“Ha! Look at that girl. She always avoids this kind of conversation. In order to be psychiatry, you need to have high level of patience and tolerance. With your attitude like this, you can never be one.”

Luna closed her eyes and forced herself not to cry, “Yes I know father that I can never be one, you don’t have to constantly remind me about this.”

With that Luna quickly dashed to her room, once inside she can no longer contain herself and cried. It’s been the same cycle; the sweet bubbly loving girl is actually broken and lost. She can no longer remember the countless nights she spent crying before falling asleep, but Luna will wake up pretending that those nights never exist.

 

                                                                                                *

 

Suho waited for Luna in front of her university’s building, thanks to his good looks, he managed to get the attention of many students. He lets out a cough, hoping that Luna would come out soon as the attention he surely not comfortable with the attention he is receiving. A group of girls chatted loudly and judging from the voice, he smiled as he instantly recognized the owner of one of the voice. Suho can clearly see the difference in attitude Luna has when she is at home or outside, as she seems more cheerful and happy when she is not under the watch of her family.

“Park Sun young!” called Suho as he aprroched Luna and her friends.

“What are you doing here?” replied Luna with a bored tone.

“Is that how you talk to your elders?”

“Anyeong! My name is Krystal and this is Sulli. We are Luna’s friends.” Said the dark raven girl beside Luna, and next to them stood Sulli who is definitely the tallest of the group.

“Anyeong, my name is Suho. Suho as in guardian, I’m Luna’s guardian.” Replied Suho as he shake each of their hands.

“Oh so cheesy. Unnie, how come you never told us you have a boyfriend?” asked Sulli with a playful look.

“He is not-”

“So I’ll see you girls next time, come Sun young, it’s time to go home.”

Suho dragged Luna away from her friends, and once inside the car he gave her a bouquet of flower and a box filled with all of Luna’s favorite candies and chocolates.

“What’s with the rose and sweets? Did cheesy Joonmyun strikes again?

“Just wait and see.”

 

                                                                                                *

 

Along the ride, Luna kept on pestering him on their destination. One thing that Luna hates is going or doing something that she has no clue about. They reached a small yet cozy restaurant, Luna remembers this restaurant. She often came here with Suho when they were younger, memories. They went inside and Suho ushered them to the seat where they would always sit.

It can’t be”

“Happy 20th birthday, my dearest Sun young! I hope you like my surprise.” Smiled Suho.

“Op poppa, you remember? Even my parents didn’t remember.” Replied Luna as her tears started to flow.

“I told you before that I am you guardian right? I will always protect you. Even when I left for UK, I never even once forget about you. Call me freaky, but I know all of you university routines, the people you make friends with, I know everything Sun young. You are the strongest and bravest girl I’ve ever met, to be able to put up that smile despite everything you’ve been through.” Said Suho as he took Luna’s hand and gently squeezed it.

“I am back, Sun young. And this time, I am back to Korea for good. I promise you, you would not be alone now. I am here to fulfill my promise.”

“Promise?”

“Marry me.”

Luna is left surprised, it took her quite a while for her mind to process Suho’s words. Birthday? Promise? Marriage? What!

“Oppa, this is just too fast. I don’t think I’m-“

“We are not going to marry now, silly. I’ll wait till you graduate, till you finally achieve whatever things you dream of. And yes I know, you’ll reach them real soon. I can’t help you much knowing how difficult your family is, but whenever you need support or help, you know I will always be there for you. And to wrap it up, this is my two last gifts.”

Suho opened a small box and took out a small ring; he placed it on Luna’s finger. And another one is a letter, it is an invitation for young people who are interested in social community work in Nepal provided by the UN. Luna gasped in her surprise, her birthday can never be better than this,

“I’m sorry, I tried talking to your dad but he just won’t listen. This is the best I can do, I know how much you want to help people, that’s why you want to become a psychiatry. I’m sorry, this is the best I can give.”

“No oppa, this is more than enough. Thankyou very much, thank you. But how are you going to tell daddy about this?”

Don’t worry about it, I told him that you are going to UK with me for your holiday. So, will you be my fiancé? It would be too much if you say no.” asked Suho with a laugh.

“Idiot, I will still be one even without these gifts. I love you oppa, my only Suho.” Replied Luna as she gave Suho a kiss on the cheek

 

                                                                                                *

 

 3 years later

 

“Oppa, if I can ask why, why did you give me a ring for my 20th birthday?”

“Because I want other people to know that you are mine, only mine.”

“Still possessive as ever huh?”

“You don’t like it?”

“I loathe it.”

“Too bad you are officially mine now.”