Falling in Love

A Daydreamer's Diary

Idol(s): Kim Jae Joong of DBSK / JYJ

Genre: Romance, Tragedy

Inspiration: My friends tell me sometimes I take things too literally. I decided to use that to my advantage and write a story about literally "falling in love". The outcome was a tragedy.

Synopsis: Jae Joong finds himself on the edge of life after a court verdict against him.

Warning: Contains elements of suicide and depression

Individual Story Link: Falling in Love

Note: This story may contain some Korean terms. If so, their definitions are provided (to the best of my knowledge) when they first appear. You can hover over the hyperlink for a definition if you’re on a desktop computer or click on the link to be directed to a Glossary of Korean Terms if you’re on other devices.

~//~

It was a dark and starless night. Kim Jae Joong parked his red Lamborghini on the side of the empty highway and stepped out, not bothering to lock his car as he walked with heavy steps and drooped shoulders towards the railing of the bridge.

Jae Joong placed his hands on the rusty, metal bar and gazed down at the water below him. He couldn't see his reflection, yet the colorless void of the water mirrored his despondency and the course his life had taken in the past years, towards a pit of darkness and insignificance. For the past few weeks, he felt like he was slowly being strangled, like he was shackled to the bottom of the ocean with an oxygen tank at the brink of depletion. He didn't even have the courage to tell his friends or family of this pullulating suffocation, he didn't have the right to when it was all his fault. It was his idea to go against the multi-million dollar company.

Hours ago, the verdict of the trial, JYJ against SM Entertainment was finally reached, in favor of the defendant. Years of fighting for freedom against a heartless company that placed inhumane term lengths on their contract, and all they had to show for it was the disbandment of a world-famous boy band, and a blacklisting by all three major networks on any future appearances by JYJ.

Now, after he had lost his footing in the industry, Jae Joong couldn't see any hope of his future picking up, not when music was his passion, his soul, his life. He climbed up on the rail and stared at the water below him, bleak and caliginous, a reflection of his current state. Taking a small breath, he absconded his head of all thoughts and like a mindless zombie, took a step forward. The air blew past him as he fell face first towards the water. A tear dropped from the corner of his eye and flew upward.

Something compelled Jae Joong to turn his head to the side, and to his surprise, he found he wasn't alone in his jump of suicide. A few feet away, a woman was free-falling down with him. Her long, wavy hair flew upwards as water streamed down from the corners of her closed eyes like a waterfall. Despite his own troubles, Jae Joong felt like this woman was in a worst state than him, and he had an overwhelming need to protect her, to let her know that everything was okay. As if possessed by her, he stretched out his hand to grab hold of her smaller, fragile one. As soon as their fingers touched, he was overcome with a mixture of feeling and emotions: a sickening nausea that he didn't get even on stage, an unbearable, burning heat that made it difficult for him to breath, and despite the discomfort, an overwhelming curiosity to know how she would feel in his arms.

At the sudden contact, the woman opened her eyes and turned to look at Jae Joong. Her beautiful dark eyes stared into his soul and he felt a chill run down his spine, but it was one that awoke a renewed desire to live again. As if time slowed down, he saw the surreal images of an alternate life flash before his eyes.

Lying together on a couch, Jae Joong nuzzled his nose into her neck, causing her to giggle in pleasure. He joined in on her laughter and proceeded to tickle her vigorously, causing her to hug her stomach as a shield. However Jae Joong was persistent and he attacked her sides and any other exposed areas he could find, and only when her breathing came out with difficulty did he stop and furrow his eyebrows in concern. But it was all a ruse and she used his momentary, defenseless state to return the favor with her own tickle attack.

His surroundings changed and he was now standing in formal attire, his back to a church altar. A figure in a white, flowing wedding dress and face covered by a veil walked towards him down the aisle with bouquet in her hands. She stopped in front of him and he lifted the white netting above her head to reveal her glowing face. Her lips tugged into a smile that caused her twinkling eyes to crinkle and two small dimples to appear on either side of her pink cheeks. With a smile playing on his own lips, he leaned down and laid a gentle kiss on , her warm, inviting lips tasting sweet and heavenly.

The scene changed again and they were now at a park, swinging their intertwined hands and grinning as they watched a small boy a few feet ahead playing in a sandbox. The child had each of their best features Jae Joong's sharp nose and small lips, and her gorgeous, big eyes. The boy called his mother and father over and the two joined him in his ambitious task of building a sand castle with only his hands.

Jae Joong was transported again, and this time he was on a grand stage with all four of the other DBSK members. They had just finished performing and were sweating and panting profusely. Yun Ho was thanking the audience for being so supportive of them over the years, but Jae Joong's eyes searched for the two faces of his wife and son among the thousands of people below him. He found them quickly, smiling widely and waving frantically to get his attention. He smiled back and kissed his fingers before sending his love out to them, making the crowd scream in excitement at the gesture they thought was for them.

A numbing coldness brought Jae Joong back from his dreams as he and the woman fell into the water with a splash. Falling deeper and deeper into the river, he held tightly to the woman's hand. Despite the freezing water that attacked his skin, a flame within kept him warm, and the heat coursed through his blood. It was a feeling that was familiar yet strange. Never had he experienced this with a stranger he had just laid eyes on, a woman whose name he didn't even know, someone who wanted to end her life, like he did. But he didn't want to leave this world, not anymore. He had discovered a new reason to live, and she was it. Was this love at first sight?  Was this the girl that would turn his life around?

He would never find out.

~//~

Author's Note

Honestly, the main character could have been a lot of people, but with JYJ's recent news about their trial with SM Entertainment, I thought I would choose someone from the trio (although the trial ended favorably for the group, unlike the outcome I wrote out in my story, thank god). And of the three members, Jae Joong plays the emo role the best. As far as why it has a tragic ending, it's a reflection of my current mood. Maybe I should have waited until I was in a lighter, cheery state before writing this.

December 6, 2012, 8:06 PM00