The Prelude

Pliés & Pirouettes

“Ladies and gentlemen, we will be landing at the Incheon International Airport in twenty minutes. For your safety, please fasten your seatbelts until the seatbelt sign has been turned off. Please stow away any electronic devices at this moment since the electrical signals emitted by such devices may interfere with the communication between the flight deck and the control tower. For passengers with connecting flights to international and domestic flights, please proceed to the Transfer Area at the Arrival Area for assistance. On behalf of our captain and staff members, it was a pleasure to fly with you. And welcome to Seoul!”

            I blearily opened my eyes to the sound of an overexcited flight attendant chattering at a hundred miles an hour about landing, safety procedures, yada yada yada. “Yeah right, as if anyone’s actually paying any attention to her,” I thought as I shifted in my seat, finding a more comfortable spot to sleep in.

It seemed like yesterday when I gingerly boarded the plane that was headed to Moscow. I’m getting ahead of myself, aren’t I? Sorry about that. I’m Madison, but I usually go by Maddy). I’m a dancer. A ballet dancer. (I prefer to call myself a dancer because some immature people think that the term ballerina is childish. Who’s childish now?) The whole reason I’m even in Seoul is, well... you’ll find out. Anyways, back to the story. I was born and raised in the old part of San Francisco. I grew up running around streets that were paved with cobblestone, with shops lining the streets1. Sort of like a mini Venice, I guess.

I’m Korean, sorta-kinda. You see, my mother was a born and bred Korean, but my father was Caucasian with Italian and Russian descent. People tell me very different things about my appearance. Not that I cared or anything.

A small jerk was felt throughout the plane as it slowed to a halt. I sluggishly opened one eye and took in the view of people jostling each other to exit the plane. Do these people not know the meaning of the word patience?

I was practically the last one off the plane because I do not want to arrive in Korea looking like a pancake.

Rushing through the airport, I found myself at the dreaded baggage claim. As I was waiting for my luggage to come around on the conveyor belt, I heard this acute scream that pretty much rendered me deaf.

“SARANGHAE U-KISS OPPAS!!!!!” “FIGHTING!!!” “MARRY ME!!!” I’m serious, their screeches can be heard all the way in Chile.

***3

Person’s POV

We just came back from our Manila tour for Man Man Ha Ni. As always, our faithful Kiss Me’s were waiting for us at the airport. Although we haven’t slept in two days, we greeted the fans, as usual. I saw a lone figure at the baggage claim. Judging by the slender frame, I’m pretty sure that she was a girl. She somehow seems different. Unlike the other girls who squeal when they see us, she took one look at us, shrugs her shoulders, and walks away. I stared after her, intrigued by her cryptic behavior.

“Hey2, can you hurry up?” an annoyed voice asked, snapping me back into reality. That voice belonged to Soohyun, our main vocal.

“Sorry,” I apologized, realizing that I had stopped and the six members behind me were tapping their foot impatiently.

“Don’t pick on him,” Alexander, the oldest, came to my defense, not that I needed any. “He’s just tired and we have a variety show to do in a couple of hours.”

 

“Whatever,” Soohyun muttered as he glanced away. 

***

Maddy’s POV

But what caught my attention was the name. U-Kiss. Hmm... who names a group U-Kiss? But before I had any more time to speculate about the strange name, I spotted my light blue suitcase. I grabbed it and hurried out of the airport. Finally, some fresh air.

The hairs on the back of my neck were rising, and I was getting a slight chill down my spine. I swear that someone was watching me. 


Foot Notes 

So how was the first chapter? I know it’s slightly dull, but I promise you that it will get much more interesting later on.

 

1 This is just my assumption of San Francisco

2 I generally don’t like to use Korean phrases such as “Neh”, “Gomawo”, etc. because if I was going to include romanized Korean, I might as well write the whole thing in Hangul. Also, it doesn’t add any effect to the prose, so it’s extraneous stuff. However, I might use sayings like “Anyeong haseyo” because it gives the story an extra boost. (I’m probably being contradictory, but I think you know what I mean)

 3 I use the three asterisks to indicate either a change in point of view or a break that skips some unnecessary actions in the plot