Tonight Maybe We're Going To Run

Tonight Maybe We're Going To Run

 

 “What's wrong?”

 

It's amazing that he noticed even before she did that her hand was frozen inside the popcorn bag, her eyes were wide behind her large-framed glasses (a part of their elaborate disguise to be able go to cinema without the media having a field day), and her other hand was covering in a horrified sort of way. She looked like she was ready throw up.

 

She's really going to throw up.

 

“Jessica, are you okay?”

 

She rushed out of the theater without another word, with him trailing close behind.

 

 

***

 

 

“Jinki...”

 

“Jessica, where are you?”

 

She wiped her tears with the back of her hand and sniffed for what seemed like a million times. She pressed her phone closer to her cheek. “I'm in the bathroom.”

 

“I'm coming, okay?” he said. He was running down the hallways of the company building, possibly ignoring people who greeted him as he turned a corner and passed by. “How long before we know?”

 

“Any moment now.” She was trying hard to stop the sobs from coming. “Jinki...”

 

“Sshhh... it's okay. Everything's gonna be alright, I promise,” he whispered to the receiver.

 

“Jinki...” she couldn't seem to formulate another word that would make more sense than repeating his name over and over again.

 

“I'm here,” and he literally was. He wrenched open the door of SNSD's dorm room, and bolted for the bathroom.

 

 

***

 

 

Jessica held the pregnancy test in the light, her back to the wall and her legs sprawled on the wet floor, waiting for the dreaded appearance of red bars to confirm her worst nightmare. Any moment now. She could hear heavy footsteps outside, and the bathroom door opened to admit Lee Jinki.

 

“Jess —”

 

He sank to the ground in front of her, instantly lifting a hand to her cheek. They watched as two red stripes colored the screen of the test she was holding. Positive.

 

She looked up at him, a fresh wave of tears rolling down her face.

 

“Jinki...”

 

He automatically put his arms around her and kissed the top of her head as he closed his eyes to the sound of her uncontrollable sobs. She might not have heard him over her misery, but his voice was resonating through the bathroom walls, “I'm here, Sica. I'm here.”