Chapter 1

The Demon Slayer

 

]Jonghyun was walking among the trees of the park. He could hear the footsteps of his victim in front of him even though the distance separating them was more than two hundred meters. The advantages of being a vampire, very sensitive hearing and eyesight better than any other animal on the planet. He smiled to himself bearing his teeth that shined under the moon.

 

Jessica shifted to make herself more comfortable. She had been hiding inside the bushes for almost two hours. Her clothes were dump and dirty and the icy wind crawled on her skin and seeped into her bones.

But Jessica was not going to leave until he showed up. He had been slipping away from her for almost two months now but tonight she was sure she would find him.

Footsteps were heard making her lean forward in anticipation. A young, skinny man passed a few meters away from her. He kept his head lowered and had his hands in his pockets to protect them from the cold. Jessica felt kind of sorry for him, his clothes didn't look very warm and the bag he was carrying was probably pretty heavy. If she could take a guess she would say he was a university student coming back from the library.

Jessica relaxed her shoulders, deciding to ignore him. He couldn't be the victim. Jonghyun always preferred women, young and pretty if possible. It was his way of following a "healthy diet".

 

Jonghyun started walking a little faster. He was getting impatient. His thirst made his throat burn. It hadn't been that long since he last fed but the thrill of the hunt on its own was an experience to look forward.

He his fangs and focused his eyes in front of him as the distance between him and the figure he had been following closed. 150 meters.

 

Jessica sighed. The boy had stopped next to a tree and was trying to tie his shoelace. She turned her head right and left, making sure she was still hidden; out of habit, not because she was expecting to see somebody. But a figure emerged from the darkness and it was approaching quickly.

Jessica felt her heart beat faster with every passing moment. She took big breaths trying to calm down. He could probably hear her heartbeat from that faraway. She had to stay as silent as possible.

 

Jonghyun was finally able to make out his victim from up close. A little skinny but he could always find another one later. After all the night was still young.

The thought of the salty treat waiting for him made his mouth water. He couldn't wait any longer. 100 meters.

 

Jessica held her breath as the figure came closer and closer. It was too far away for her to be able to make out any details but soon he'd be close enough for her to jump out of the bush and catch him by surprise, hopefully giving enough time to the boy to escape and Jonghyun no other choice but to talk to her.

 

Jonghyun was now so close he could smell the blood in the other's veins. He was sure that if his heart was still alive it would be beating like crazy by now. He imagined his attack, the way he would jump on the frail body and then lounge straight at the neck. He would drink the blood slowly and painfully.

The excitement of feeling a life slipping away from a body in your own hands clouded his vision for only a second and then Jonghyun cracked his knuckles, preparing to attack. A low growl escaped him.

50 meters.

 

Jessica didn't want to wait any longer. The boy got up and stretched before he started walking again. The figure was now close enough for Jessica to be able to hear his footsteps in the silent night. And if she could hear them, then so could the young boy.

She didn't waste any more time. She jumped out of the bushes and landed right between the two of them as the young boy turned to look behind him.

A sudden light emerged from behind the figure and Jessica shut her eyes for only a second. She felt the adrenaline rush in her veins and that was all she needed. She started towards the figure but when her eyes fell on the creature in front of her she froze in place.

 

Jonghyun his lips. He was so close that he could see every little detail. The way her hair shined under the light of the lamps on the side of the road, a few strings hanging from the hem of her dress, but more importantly, and that was the detail that drove him crazy, when she tossed her hair back he saw the pale skin she was hiding under her scarf.

Jonghyun ran towards her. She heard him and turned but it was too late. The last thing she saw was the night sky covered with clouds before the pain and everything else started fading away. And then nothing. 

 

 

Jessica froze in place as the light the figure itself was emitting illuminated the night. She took a couple of steps back as her eyes took in the scene in front of her.

She had thought it was a man from far away but now she realised she couldn't have been more wrong. In front of her was standing a woman, a very old woman, with pale, long hair that reached almost to the ground, touching the hem of her grey dress that was teared and dirtied with mud and snow. But the only thing Jessica could see was her eyes, her red eyes that looked like blood had been spilled against a white canvas.

The old woman turned her face ever so slightly to look behind Jessica, her hair moving slowly, floating in the air almost as if they were underwater. The woman lifted her wrinkled hand slowly until it was pointing at the young boy.

That woke Jessica up from her trance and she turned to him. He had fallen to the ground, his back resting on a tree, as he brought his knees close to his chest in a weak attempt to protect himself.

Before Jessica could say anything she saw the woman opening from the corner of her eyes. Then the eery silence around them broke as the woman released a wail, a loud noise that resembled both the desperate cry of a human and the screaming of a dying owl. Jessica immediately brought the hands on her ears trying to block the sound that made her heart pound faster. The young boy did the same as his own screaming joined the woman's desperate cries.

Then the light became so bright that Jessica thought for a moment she had gone blind. Had she gone deaf as well? Or had the woman's cries become so loud that she couldn't hear them anymore? But she could still hear the boy crying and screaming his lungs out.

The light disappeared just as suddenly as it had appeared, leaving Jessica panting disorientated and the young boy curled into a ball a few meters away.

Jessica turned towards him unsure of what to do. His crying had now become a low whimper as he shook back and forth in place with his hands still covering his ears.

Jessica kneeled in front of him and hesitantly placed her hand on his shoulder. The boy jerked back scared and turned his teary eyes to her.

"Are you okay?" she asked in a shaky voice.

The boy looked at her unsurely for a moment but then he shook his head slowly and gulped, lowering his hands slowly.

The silence around them felt almost suffocating to Jessica. The boy looked so vulnerable and frightened; he was still shaking and she had no idea what she was supposed to do to comfort him.

She reached out for him again, putting on her best smile, which in all honesty still looked fake as hell. "It's okay if you are scared, but don't worry she wasn't trying to hurt you."

His response was a low growl and a weak nod. Jessica couldn't be sure if he had started going crazy or not. She grabbed his arm and lifted him up again but still she had to hold on to him so that he wouldn't collapse.

Jessica released a long sigh. She was so used to magical creatures already that sometimes she forgot how shocking it must be for normal people when they come face to face with the paranormal. She checked the boy from head to toe to make sure he wasn't injured but there weren't much she could do about his psychological stage.

After meeting the demon Yuri, Jessica had made a deal with her; selling her soul to her in exchange of losing almost all human emotions. Back then, when the only thought in Jessica's mind was revenge, it seemed like it would only make her a stronger and better hunter but now, after she had regained her soul and emotions two months ago, Jessica realised that she really had no idea how to interact with other people. Her experience included only bargaining with merchants over werewolf fur, pissing off Yuri and recently, arguing and screaming at a thousand year-old vampire. But when it came to comforting people or being understanding, Jessica was clueless.

"Let's get you someplace warmer," she said and led him towards her apartment, still half-supporting him.

None of them were talking on the way there. Jessica because she didn't know what someone says at a situation like this and the boy probably because his whole body was still shaking from the shock. Jessica was still confused about the whole incident but there was one thing in her mind that was crystal clear.

She had to protect that boy no matter what.

Seems like you'll be hunting without interruptions for a few nights, Jessica thought bringing back to her memory a set of warm brown eyes.

 

Jonghyun his lips satisfied. The lifeless body was lying in front of him, her face covered by her hair. He let his eyes linger on her for another minute, admiring the marks left on her neck.

He lifted her from the ground and started walking towards the bushes nearby. If Jessica was still searching for him then he had better not leave any evidence behind. He threw her behind them and left without giving her a second thought. There were plenty of night creatures out there that would take care of her body before the sunrise.

 

 

Jessica pushed the door of her apartment open and waited until the boy stumbled inside. He was on the verge of crying and he looked anxiously around him as if he was waiting to be attacked any moment now. Jessica couldn't really blame him after what had happened at the park.

She grabbed him from the shoulders and led him to the couch smiling encouragingly at him.

"I'm sorry but I never got you name. I'm Jessica by the way," she said trying to make him feel more comfortable.

The boy opened his eyes wide and chewed on his lower lip avoiding to look at her.

"It's okay. You are safe here. Nobody will harm you," Jessica said.

"I'm.... My name is Taemin," the boy whispered hesitantly.

"So, Taemin... I guess you have a few questions about what just happened," Jessica said, cursing in her head about her inexperience with other humans. "I'm sure you have seen many movies about magic and magical creatures..."

She waited until Taemin nodded weakly. Jessica took a deep breath. There was no easy way to say this. "Well... you see all that are real," she said narrowing her eyes, expecting the boy to freak out any moment.

And the boy really did freak out. His mouth hang open and opened his eyes wider, which Jessica thought was something impossible. He opened and closed his mouth a couple of times but no sound came out. Then finally he collapsed on the couch and hid his face in his hands with a whimper.

"I know that this is difficult for you to believe, but-" Jessica started but she was interrupted by Taemin's low voice.

"It's not that it's difficult to believe," he said with his head still resting in his hands. "My grandmother still tells me stories about elves and demons and fairies and she insists that they are all true. I just never... I never...."

"You never thought that not only she was right but that you would meet one someday," Jessica finished his sentence, making a mental note to ask him more about his grandmother later.

"What was that anyway?" Taemin asked weakly.

Jessica bit her lips. Should she tell him the truth? But if she did he might panic even more and do something crazy. However if she lied to him it would be ten times harder to protect him.

"That woman we just met was something like an angel," Jessica explained carefully.

"She didn't look much like an angel," Taemin laughed bitterly.

"She was a Banshee."

 

 

Jonghyun watched the sun rising slowly in the horizon as he sat on the golden tiles of the church's dome. It had been a good night for him. He had caught two more women but he hadn't killed either of them. There was no reason to leave any more bodies behind since he could satisfy his hunger by drinking just a bit from the two of them.

He smelled the air as the first sounds of the city waking up reached his ears. Something had changed. There was a storm coming. Rumors had been spreading in the underworld for a month now.

Jonghyun got up and transformed into a bat. He had to keep a low profile for a while. After all he enjoyed his immortality too much to risk losing it. 

 

 

"What's a Banshee?" Taemin asked confused.

"An angel of death."

 


 

A.N.

So here's the first chapter of the sequel. I really hope you guys like it and that I will meet your expectations ^^