chapter 1

Balloons

 

 "Kim Myungsoo always had nightmares when he slept.

 That was, though, up until last night.

After several nightmares for over a year, and out of nowhere, he has a dream that wasn't frightening at all. 


"That's a good thing, Myungsoo. Maybe it will be the end of your endless nightmares so you can actually compile and send it to a movie producer and make a horror flick," Sungyeol, his buddy at the cafe where Myungsoo worked as a part timer happily said to him, "like seriously, that dream about zombies in hanbok leaking a greenish liquid from their eyeballs- I think it will be a big hit if someone were to make a movie version of it!"

"Shut up, you have no idea how scary it is to have such things happen when you're sleeping." Myungsoo shot Sungyeol a dead pan expression while saying that, but his face changed quickly into a happier face when he continued on, "but last night it was nice,"
"So what's this dream about?" Yeol asked curiously.

"Balloons."

"What?"
"It was about balloons"
"That's it? And that's what killed your usual depressive haze?"

"Well, at least balloons are nice. They are light and airy, and joyful because the colors of the balloons in my dream are in vibrant shades,"

"Wow that was a pretty poetic explanation about balloons, kim myungsoo." Yeol had lost his interests on soo's dream, "you know I was expecting something grander than balloons, but you always seem easily amused by little things like that anyways,"

Myungsoo only smirked a response to Sungyeol.

its because he didn't spill out the whole details of his dream to Sungyeol, he only said balloons. He actually wanted to keep his first dream without scary things happening for himself only.

In his dream he was sitting on a bench in the park, the leaves are shining gold and orange-ish signaling that it must be autumn.

And in the matter of a few seconds, there comes a guy with a bouquet colorful balloons in his hands. Myungsoo couldn't count exactly how many balloons the man brought, but it must be around 20 from what he saw in general.

But he could only catch a back view from the man, which really didn't help Myungsoo in the attempt to identify who the man was. 'was he selling balloons? Or are they for someone?" he thought, but it was still clear in Myungsoo's mind that the man is wearing a dark green jacket and black pants, with a pair boots. And when the man almost turn his head to Myungsoo's direction......

He woke up.

"Maybe when he turns back to me, he might just be a faceless ghost," Myungsoo said to himself once he woke up.

But for once, he actually felt  happy with his dream. Although the , it had a different feeling compared to the other dreams that he had that always makes him waking up in a cold sweat.

This one makes him feels warm and fluffy.

Like a marshmallow.

Myungsoo always used food to describe what he feels towards people.

To him, his best friend Sungyeol was like a snack- a crunchy snack that was always making a noise when people munched it, mostly because he was such a noisy person.

Myungsoo huffed a heavy sigh as he looked out at the same colored leaves through the cafe's windows. Autumn was here already.

And he sits there, trying to figure out if he was happier because of the balloons or...

The mysterious guy behind the balloons?

" let's get to work!" Sungyeol said, while changing the 'closed' sign on the front door of the cafe to 'open'. 8am: it's time for them to start the cafe, mostly because the cafe is popular for their brunch and coffee specials. So their day was usually packed from 9 to 11.

While Sungyeol was busy serving the customers, Myungsoo stood quietly behind the register. The cafe was not really that crowded, and most anyone who came in, only ordered a coffee to go anyways and Myungsoo was getting bored as the cashier. All he could do was stand there, unlike Sungyeol who could walk around and communicate with people. But for Myungsoo there's nothing much to do. Afterall, he's not like Sungyeol, who is friendly and cheerful. He finds himself socially awkward.

But something shocked him all of sudden.

The view of a man.

Holding.... Holding a bouquet of balloons.

With the exact same clothes.

Holding the exact same balloons in the exact same colors as he saw in his dream last night.


His eyes widened and he was thrilled.

"Can I have some earl grey?" The man faced on Myungsoo right now, making him nervous,
"Eh.. Yes."
"How much is it?"
"You can sit down first and my friend right there will serve you soon. I'm just... the cashier...."
"Ah- Damn, this is embarrassing, I thought I should order it here..." He said as he shyly smiles to Myungsoo, "is it okay if I put the balloons somewhere first? There's no space on that corner for this thing," he points at the table where he wanted to sit.
Myungsoo can't help but stare at the balloons in awe, "Ye..Yes, you can put it in our storage room. I think it should fit.." Myungsoo said before calling for Dongwoo, another worker, to be in charge of the register while he led the man to store the balloons.

While they were inside the storage room, he dropped off the balloons, and thanked Myungsoo for the help and sprang a little bit of chit chat.
"You seemed to be fascinated with the balloons,"
"Yeah, what a lucky person to get something nice like this,"
"Haha, yeah-" the other man let out a dry laugh, "this is not from me though,"
"It's not?" Myungsoo asked curiously.
"I'm just a love messenger, before you start to judging me- I know that its a lame profession, but the pay is good. But anyways, my job is to deliver things like this day in and day out so that the real sender can stay anonymous to his or her receiver."
"Wow.. That kind of job really exists?" Myungsoo looked surprised.
"Yeah. I know, and those guys are just losers who didn't have any courage to do this by themselves," the messenger sighed.
"I think everyone just has a different way of expressing their feelings," Myungsoo said thoughtfully to the red haired man.
"You're so cute," he laughs and ruffles Myungsoo's hair, much like an owner with his pet, "and why am I having such a conversation like this with a stranger in this storage room," he laughed for a second time. Myungsoo swore that every time he laughed, his felt his heart fluttered in a weird way.
"I'm Myungsoo," he finally introduced himself.
"So you just now told your name because I said you were a stranger?  How cute can you be?" he smiled, "I'm Sunggyu by the way," he patted Myungsoo's shoulder, "and we should probably go now. I need to order my earl grey before i get back to work. I'm so thirsty.."


After their short introduction, Sunggyu finally got his tea and quietly while enjoyed it back at his table. He told Myungsoo that had an hour to kill before sending the balloons to the customer. He then told him that that person's  office just happened to be just nearby, and he was on his way there when he stumbled upon the cafe. And that's why he decided to stop in.

"Aigoo this guy, he ended chatting with the customers," Dongwoo sighed from afar as he watched Myungsoo keep Sunggyu company. "But I've never seen him that happy before. Isn't he usually gloomy? Because of those nightmares he has?"
"I know," Sungyeol responded, "I think its because of the balloons....." He grumbled.
"Balloons?" Dongwoo asked. Sungyeol was about to respond, but was interrupted by customers ready to pay. 
"Tell me later!" He whispered loudly to Yeol who was leaving him with the customers.

"So what about the balloons"? Dongwoo murmured after the customers left, "I hope that he sent it to the right place though..." he continued talking with himself as usual. The habit of Jang Dongwoo.

 

 

 

gosh so how is it ???? is it good or not hmm and thanks for my friend Stephen who proofread this for me ! lol