Chapter 1

A hero comes unexpected

Have fun! c:

____

 

Donghae PoV:

"Oh, damn ... aiiiiish .....“I mumbled annoyed when the song of my alarm clock sounded through my room. And, moreover, from somewhere far away from my bed! Too far away to be grabbed easily.
"Yaaah ... yeah, man ... coming ...” groaning, I dug my way through my countless cushions to edge of the bed and peered with bated breath over the edge of my mattress.
It was still dim outside, just as every morning during winter, and that’s why I basically saw nothing.

Suddenly I saw the light of my phone screen right beneath one of my stuffed animals. I quickly grabbed my phone and nudged back under my warm and comforting blanket.

With narrowed eyes I searched for the ‘stop’ icon and touched it. However, my left index finger left a colorful, wet trail and I widened my eyes in wonder. Really surprised I rubbed the fingertips of the hand which I used to pick up my phone and realized that they were slightly damp.

"Heeeh?" A little bit more awake, I crawled back to the edge of the bed, my more or less pathetic night lamp and peeked curious to the ground. And actually did it take quite a bit of time before the importance of the shallow pool of water on my carpet arrived in my brain.

Water.on.may.carpet.

Totally shocked I shot up and my first reflexive thought made me tear up my blanket to see if my underwear was soaked too.

But it wasn’t. Same with the rest of the bed.

"Heee?" Extremely irritated I jumped out of bed and knelt on the floor. The wet carpet soaked my pyjama pants immediately and I was completely overwhelmed.

"What the , huh?" With the pitiful light of my screen saver I glowed under the bed. It was all ing wet!
A loud hum from the kitchen made ​​me sit up, than I suddenly heard a loud gurgle from the bathroom.
Another noise from the hallway and I’m about to lose it!
I got to my feet and raced to the bathroom.

I was taken aback as my eyes fell on the puddle of dirty, muddy water in the tub. How was this even possible?

The sink to my left was thankfully quiet! I was about to reach for a towel, as a loud rattle from the kitchen caught my attention.

Quick as a flash, I reached into the gap between the tub and the wall and pulled out the toilet-suction cup like a katana.

With the provisional weapon in hand, I sneaked into the hall, past my damp bedroom and right to the half-open kitchen door. A low hum began, followed by the same gurgling as in the tub.
I took a deep breath and kicked my kitchen door with a systematic kick of off its hinges.
The door slammed clattering against the kitchen table, slides down along with the tablecloth and landed in the water.

IN THE WATER! I was scared half to death here, man!
Again, a low hum, and I looked away from the door to the middle of the kitchen.
"What the-?"

Shocked, I stared at my washing machine, which was in addition to the water heater the only kitchen appliance in the entire room, and could not believe my eyes.
The water poured out of every damn gap!
I threw the suction cup on the empty table, ran across the door that was now submerged in ankle deep water, and tugged the machine off the wall.
That turned out to be a huge mistake.
The pipe between the wall and the machine broke down and the cold water poured over me as if I would stand in front of a ing sprinkler.

" YOU! DAMN MACHINE! "I banged my fist, in a pointless attempt to stop the water, one on the tube but nothing changed. Meanwhile, I was soaked to the bone and on the edge of despair. My ankles hurt by the ice cold water, and I was extremely pissed.
Suddenly a memory flashed through my mind.

 

~Call this number if you are really in need. He might be the Right one! ~

 

I heard Hyoyeon call in my head. Then she gave me a piece of paper. With the number of a janitor. I slapped my hands to my temples and thought feverishly where I had put the note.
In my bag? No. On the fridge? I looked over my shoulder, but there was nothing new stuck to my fridge.

... The list was blue and I had last seen it-
A fountain of water shot up to the bottom of my shelf and made ​​me jump in surprise.
"In the nightstand," I shouted suddenly, and raised my fists in the air. I remembered!
With big steps like a stork I paved my way, ran with sopping feet into my room, slipped briefly out on the carpet and came to stand in front of my bed again.
Frantically I tore open the drawer and see there.
The blue note.

"Got ya!" I pulled out my cell phone and I quickly dialed the phone number.
I heard the dial tone. For a long time. And by the way I heard the pipe in my kitchen spit more and more water.
I hung up and pressed the redial.
This time, someone took off.
"Hm?"
"Oh man, you gotta help me! Really now! I have a nasty burst water pipe! "
"It's half past six! And anyway-"
"Please! The entire kitchen is under water! "
"And what should I do about it?"
"HELP!" I yelled into the phone and swore him afterwards to ask him for his company to submit a complaint.
"My goodness ... where do I have to go?"

Finally I gave him my address and I ran back to the kitchen threshold and remained standing at the top step. Ran back and forth and decided to at least fight the pool of water which came through the thin wall up to my bedroom with a towel.

After ten minutes, I was still alone. Still!

My room was filled with towels, I even put some around the tub... and yeah. That’s all I could do, since I didn't dare to approach the kitchen alone.

"Hopefully he brings a pump!"

Rubbing my hands, I stood on the cold threshold and I looked into my totally ruined kitchen. And to make things even worse the lid of my washing machine jumped open and my clothes spread out leisurely in the dirty water.

"Are you kidding me?" I howled desperately and ran  through the water …after all. I had a lump in my throat as I threw my dripping underwear in the empty sink.

How humiliating...

My pajama pants clung to my legs, my shirt was stuck to my belly and the left side of my head was wet and cold. Just wonderful.
I was about to call this janitor again, as the doorbell suddenly rang.

My head jerked in the direction of the door and I looked at it if it was god.
I wanted to start running, stumbled, but still got a grip on the door frame and slipped to the front door.
I quickly opened the door and saw my rescuer standing right in front of me.
Blonde hair, brown eyes, black coat, scarf and jeans. Really… gorgeous for a janitor.
"No boiler suit? No pump?" I asked.
"This will do, I guess." He waved with a giant pipe wrench and was about to enter my house, but I stopped him intuitively.

"Ehm, shoes."

"I have neither the desire to stay long, nor to get wet feet." He said, and pushed me out of his way. Shivering, I closed my door and ran after him. Wow, he was practically bursting with kindness.
"Is this ... the ... kitchen ...?" His voice died down with every second longer he stared into the mass. Seems like he finally understands the disaster. I pulled my head down a bit.
"What did you do with the machine?" in disbelief, he stared at the still gushing machine. I shrugged my shoulders and wrapped my arms around my torso. Feeling slightly guilty under his stare.

Without another word, he handled me the wrench, slipped out of his coat and seems to prepare himself. I briefly wondered if he wanted me to beat the pipe by myself, but as I took a short glance at him I saw him rolling up his sleeves in a casual manner and in the next moment he took the wrench out of my grasp and walked to the other side of the kitchen.

He gave the icy water as much attention as the door he walked across, namely none.
Reluctantly, but for the sake of politeness I ran after him.
And actually I just had already raised my hand to place it on his shoulder, in order to warn him about the capriciousness of water as a ray was soaking his entire left leg. I chuckled gleefully.
Then he bit his lower lip, turned to me and stared at me angrily.
"What?"
"Ts" was everything he had to say before he raised his pliers and turned a small wheel on the pipe. The water was less, much less, and finally stopped dripping completely.

Panting, the blonde took a small step backwards, than another and with the last one he step he finally reached the hallway. I just stood there, amazed.
"Can you give me some new socks before I leave?"
"And the rest?"

He raised an eyebrow and leaned against the door frame.
"What else shall I do?"
"I-I do not know? Pump the water away or repair the machine? Without the machine, I am totally lost, "I cried and felt the lump in my throat again.
When I looked at him, I could see some compassion in his eyes. He seemed to think about it, than he came back through the water in my direction.
Carefully, he placed his hands on my shoulders and I pulled out my lower lip. Pouting.
"Why can’t you save my washing machine," I said softly and looked up.
"Because I focus on saving lives during my studies."
. . .
Stunned, I stared at him.
"You're ... not a plumber?"
"Not a bit. ... Where did you get my number? "
I just gasped at the moment and would prefer to sink into the ground.
I had woken him up, got him out of the bed, had flamed him ... I even wanted to submit a complain about him. But actually he came to me without any due. My heart was pounding the next time I looked him in the face.
"That changes a lot, huh?"He asked quietly and took two glasses from the worktop. He took my water heater and some teabags too and walked pass me through the hallway straight to my room.

“…yeah.” I replied shyly and followed him instinctively slow and still ashamed.

"I am here ... in your bedroom. I think. Okay if I make us some tea? "
Nodding, I toddled over the many towels to the closet and changed quickly behind the closet door, even grabbed a bunch of dry socks and threw it to him on my bed.
"Thank you. And do you have something like a …phone book? So that we can call a real plumber? "

"Yah.  Look in the bedside table; I'll get us a couple of cookies quickly. Or do you want something else?” "I kneaded my fingers, waiting for his answer. I still had such a bad conscience.
"What's your name? I mean, I should know the name of my hero, shouldn’t I?" I go on asking as I didn’t receive an answer.
"Hyukjae." He said curiously and pulled out the drawer.
"Oh. That's the paper? "
He grabbed the thin paper with thumb and index finger and had to chuckle after he had read Hyoyeon's addition.
Hyukjae's laugh was so friendly that I started to grin automatically. Hesitant, I ran up to him and sit beside him on the comfortable bed. On my bed.
The water boiler was boiling already; and the room was quiet except the rustle of the phone book pages. Hyukjae's long, narrow finger brushed slowly downward a page until he found a company here in the area. He marked the name with a fingertip.
I offered him my phone and he promptly began to type in the number, but then he paused briefly and looked at me curiously.
"You wanted to get cookies." He reminded me.

"Oh," I jumped off the bed, ran to the kitchen door and opened the closet door without getting wet feet to. I quickly grasped the bag of biscuits, pulled it out of the closet and ran back to Hyukjae in my bedroom.
Bedroom. Hyukjae... in my bedroom.
I grinned as I noticed how well this sentence sounded and slowly ripped the bag.
When I entered, my blond hero just put the phone aside and pointed to the teacups.
"All done."

"Are they on the way?" I asked him and handed him a handful of biscuits. He, meanwhile, held out my teacup. Mh, chamomile ...
"They fly, after I gave them an exact description of the disaster in your kitchen."
I laughed quietly and took a sip of my tea.
"I really don’t know how I could thank you. The moment you told me you were not a plumber ... aish, Hyukjae I feel so lousy. May I perhaps invite you for dinner or something? "I asked and put my hand to my neck as an expression of my uncertainty.  "Yeah, sure." He replied quietly, thoughtfully sipping his tea.
"Are you okay?" I slightly leaned toward him and saw the worry on his face.
"Hm. I just wonder ... why Hyoyeon gave you my number. Did you ask for it? "

Instantly I lowered my head and felt my cheeks turn red.
Now that he asked directly how I got his number, I started to feel uncomfortable. I didn’t really want to tell him the circumstances, but since it is his number… I actually should tell him. I shot him an irresolute look and slowly started to doubt that Hyoyeon was correct with her assessment.
She had given me this slip of paper the last time we met in the cafe on the corner. I told her the hundredth time that I was tired of being alone, that I'll surely never find the right partner that nobody understood me and so on.

Which, of course, was a bit exaggerated, but it still melted the tender heart of my best friend.
She had placed a hand on my arm and smiled sweetly while searching her mobile phone for a guy with whom she doesn't progress any longer or had already written off.

And it goes always like this.
She had given me his number very reluctantly, but she had done it.
And well. This guy was sitting on my bed now, looking at me unfathomable.
"Well ..." I began softly, but stopped as a very obvious question suddenly appeared in my head.

So Hyohyon handed this guy over to me... with the addition 'he might be the right one' ... does that mean... ? Could he probably be gay too?

Damn, I never was this insecure before! What is he doing with me, huh?

Ironically he was already here, sitting on my bed and drinking some tea with me. It's really sort of strange. 

"No... I didn't really ask her. I nearly begged. But not for your number directly, since I didn't knew you till today. But I guess, …if I would have known you, then maybe."

I snorted briefly in amusement by the imagination of us three, sitting together at the same table. Chatting about some unimportant stuff. A shifted my head a little and pit my lip. And as I came back to our conversation, my face went blank.

I don't know if he would understand my situation if I would explain it to him now. He doesn't seem to be the sort of person, who's often alone.

And if he wants to stomp out of my flat afterwards, ..he was free to do so. He was a free man. And this would be in better every way as to worry all the time about all the possibilities.

"..but?" he persisted curiously and I cleared my throat quietly. I leaned back against the wall with the cup between my knees and looked at him.

"Well that's kind of a... routine act of us. You know Hyoyeon, so you are aware of the fact that she definitely isn't ugly. And in her opinion is a guy, who doesn't want to date her either stupid or ...well just gay. In the beginning we didn't meant it THAT serious. But after I almost went out with two of the guys she recommended me, we thought we could at least try it. And last time..." suspecting, Hyukjae raised an eyebrow, though the rest of him remained motionless, "...last time I got YOUR number."

The blonde looked away, nibbling on the corner of the biscuit he was holding the whole time.

"To be honest ... I have no idea what to say." he admitted quietly.

"Hm .. If I were in your shoes... I would be flabbergasted too." I said and bite on my bottom lip.

"And to make things clear. Hyoyeon is not ugly. "

I looked at him and hoped that he would go on.

"Yeah, and logically, I'm not ... as you called it, 'Stupid'."

Just as I was about to nod in agreement, the penny dropped and my head movement was more comparable with the nod of a freshly oiled nodding-dog as with anything else. So he WAS...?

"Well, yeah. I do not know what else to say about it. "

"Don't you think it's bad?" It burst out of me, and he frowned.

"To be gay?"

"No-"

"That you needed such an odd situation as excuse to finally call me?" He interrupted me and with every word my moth opened wider.

"... what ...? "

My world was upside down. So I-I mean-he! I?

"Am I correct in assuming that you are...too?"

I nodded slightly and he didn't finish the sentence.

And suddenly I had the urge to laugh. Nonsensical, I know, but the situation allowed it. I quickly handed him my cup and hold my belly, giggling. It felt good to laugh, after all the crap that was giving me a hard time today.

With a slight prickle in my stomach I noticed Hyukjae's wide grin.

 

 

Damn it, but there was the hottest guy since years on the edge of my bed, and he did already more for me as any of these other noob-boyfriends I was dating! It must be smething like blessing in disguise.

And he was neither occupied nor crap and that’s why a total godsend. An unexpected ring at the front door brought me back to earth and I quickly slid off the bed. Hyukjae placed the teacups without any word on my bedside table and followed me into the hallway.

"The real plumber!" I cheered as I saw his boiler suit through my glass door, "finally!!"

"Tch. He's just another guy who wants to save your day." whispered Hyuk almost threatening into my ear and I let out a shy giggle.

"He can save my kitchen. But my day is completely saved by you." I smiled at him and opened the door.

 

 

Well, ...yes.

About half an hour later, the plumber left my apartment. He wasn't able to help me in any way... unfortunately he couldn't even repair my washing machine. My kitchen was almost completely destroyed by the water because every inch of wood was so macerated that I surely have to replace it. The wall between my kitchen and the bedroom had to be redone, because the cold water let the plaster on both sides fall down. Even the entire carpet in the bedroom had to be thrown away. Same with the old fridge.

The lower part of my wallpaper was soaked and ruined too. Basically, the water damage had destroyed half my apartment.

Usually, I would have paid all alone for this disaster. Even if I didn't really caused all the damage.

But luckily, Hyukjae's Cousin was something like a high positioned man in some unknown company. He wrote a lot of contracts in my name and within one day I could move out of the apartment without spending any money for any repair services.

I should have searched for a new apartment then, but Hyukkie offered me his guestroom for a couple of weeks and yeah...one thing lead to another. I guess I could say by now, that I didn't move in for only some weeks, but for about half of a year now. And it doesn't seem like he wants to kick me out near in the future, so I’ll stay.

The first few days it was a little bit awkward to live together with some kind of stranger, but with the time we get along better and better by every passing day. Why else did he recently bouht a bed, big enough for both of us? Just by chance? Probably not. I think it was kind of impulse. Spontaneously and from a gut feeling.

Beeing spontaneous was rare for Hyukkie, but that made it even better.

Since I end up in his bed every evening anyway. After I experienced how good it felt to have somebody beside you when you fall asleep, I never want to miss it again.

The blue note still existed. Hyukkie pinned it on his wall a few inches above the bed. And he even added something.

 

~I definitely am~