Chapter 1

Black Vow

I slowly trudged along the rough surface of the earth, my once pure white wings, invisible to humans, were dragging along behind me sadly. How long had I been walking mindlessly? I had begun to lose count of the days. Not that they mattered much to me due to my immortality.

I scoffed out loud. Immortality. How useless it is to me now that I want to die.

It was torturing me. Every time I allowed my mind to wander while on my long, pointless journey to nowhere, it would go back to those happy memories us that I had tried to forget. Why did he have to do this to me? I thought we were happy...

 

I flew around happily, looking for my lover. I finally found him looking over the clouds, down onto earth. I lowered myself to the ground and crept up behind him. Then, I suddenly wrapped my arms around his neck from behind, hugging him.

"Jonghyun, I’ve been looking for you! Guess what? You'll never believe it, I got-"

"Jessica," he cut me off and turned around to face me, prying my arms from his neck and placing them at my sides, "We need to talk."

I looked at him curiously, "About what?"

He sighed and looked away from me guiltily, "I'm sorry to have to do this to you," he whispered.

I opened my mouth to speak but then he snapped his head up to glare at me, "How could you, Jessica? You know what you did was a sin!" he spoke loudly and angrily.

I jumped back and looked at him in shock and complete confusion. "What are you talking about, Jonghyun?"

"Don't act like you don't know! I'm sorry Jessica, but you've left me no choice. I had to call in the guard."

Suddenly four large men dressed in white surrounded me. Two of them grabbed me on each arm and started to drag me away, “Wait, stop! What are you doing, let me go!”

The angels ignored me and wouldn’t budge as I struggled in their tight grasp, “I didn’t do anything, you have to believe me! Jonghyun, tell them! You know that I would never do anything bad, right?” I sent a pleading look toward him, but he just looked at me sadly then turned away.

At that moment, I felt my heart break into pieces. We’ve been together for, quite literally, centuries. He knew me better than anyone else, even my closest friends. He was my lover, my protector, and my best friend. Yet he didn’t believe me?

"Jonghyun..."

 

The four angels deposited me before the angel of justice, Rafael. He was a tall and intimidating man who seemed to never smile. Unlike the common pure white wings of angels, his were a brilliant and shining gold color, telling of his high position.

He looked down at me with an emotionless face, "Jessica, angel of winter and ice. You are being accused of the murder of a human girl. This was brought to our attention by the angel of the sea, Jonghyun. For this sin, you will be banished from heaven, and forced to live on earth alongside humans for one hundred years."

My eyes widened; the murder of a human girl? But I didn't do anything! Wait... Jonghyun... he couldn't have, could he? Suddenly it made sense, but why would he do this? I thought we loved each other!

I opened my mouth to protest but then Rafael lifted his staff and called out with his loud and booming voice, "In the name of the Lord!"

He slammed it down and suddenly I was falling through the air, down to the earth...

 

Suddenly it was too much for me and I collapsed onto my knees. I put my head in my hands and tears started falling down my face. "Jonghyun... Why?"

I don't know how long I just sat there sobbing, but suddenly I felt someone put their hand on my shoulder. I looked up automatically and saw a worried looking girl with long black hair and warm eyes. She was gorgeous.

"Excuse me, but are you alright? Why are you crying?" She asked.

Her silky voice calmed me instantly and my tears finally stopped, "I-I..."

She smiled brightly and I felt my breath catch in my throat. She extended her hand toward me, "My name is Yuri, what's yours?"

"Uh, J-Jessica... My name is Jessica," I answered, finally finding my voice, and took her hand.

She pulled me up and looked me in the eyes, "Well, Jessica, do you have anywhere to go?"

I blushed lightly at her gaze and shook my head, "No..."

She smiled again, "Then would you like to come with me?"

I looked up at her hesitantly, why would someone like her want to go anywhere with a pathetic looking stranger like me? But there was something about her that just seemed so friendly and inviting and it pulled me in. I nodded slowly.

"Good,” she grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me off to some unknown destination, but for some reason, I trusted her with all my heart.