The Weak

The Olive Branch

"Good news," an old man dressed in a white coat said, flipping through a couple of papers in a folder. "The patient you brought in is doing well. It seems like she collapsed due to stress. Be watch her carefully and make sure she doesn't skip her meal. It seems like she fainted due to the lack of nutrients in her body, too."

Curse you, Kwon Yuri! What kind of person are you supposed to be if you can't take care of yourself? Yunho thought angrily. He bowed at the doctor. "Can I go see her inside?"

"Yes, yes," the doctor said. "We'll be keeping her here for a few days to check if she's doing well. After she seems healthy enough, we'll discharge her from the hospital."

"Thank you, doctor. Thank you very much," Yunho said. He got up and left the room to find Yuri. Once he arrived at a particular room, he angrily burst in and glared at the woman who was stuffing herself with strawberries. Yuri gave him an innocent look, then gulped down the red fruit.

"Oh, Yunho! What are you doing here?" she asked, wiping her lip with a tissue.

"You caused me so much trouble," Yunho muttered, narrowing his eyes. She only laughed.

"Sorry, sorry. I was just doing homework and decided to get some fresh air. I didn't think that skipping a few meals would do anything--"

"You're such an idiot!" he shouted, causing her to widen her eyes. "If you wanted food, I'll give you food! Do you think I'm poor or something?"

Yuri's eyes suddenly looked distant. "There you go again, talking about money..."

"Eh-hem." A voice spoke up at the door. The doctor stood there, and gave Yuri a small frown. "May I talk with the patient for a moment? In private?"

Yunho heaved a sigh and stared at her. "Look,  I'm going to see--"

"BoA? Mhm, okay. Sure, we all know that you're all about BoA." There was a dark look on her face. A second later, she forced a smile. "Have fun, okay?"

He wanted to say something, but hesitated. He knew that she looked trouble, but was it okay to ask her? After all, he was supposed to hate her. As Yunho left the room, he realized that the hatred, which had burned passionately in his heart, was hardly even there. He didn't know if it was only him, but it kind of felt like the two had become some kind of awkward friends rather than bitter rivals.

"Oh. You came now?"

Yunho turned around, and widened his eyes in surprise when he saw Donghae standing behind him with some flowers in his hand.

"What are you doing here? I thought you didn't care about BoA," Yunho mentioned.

"Taeyeon told me that the last time she came to see how BoA was doing, the flowers were wilting. I was told to bring new ones." Donghae checked his watch. "You're surprisingly thirty minutes late."

Thirty minutes...? Yunho gasped when he checked his own silver watch. I spent too much time worrying over Yuri!

"Well? Are you going in?" Donghae asked.

"Huh?"

"You're blocking the way." Yunho looked in front of himself, and saw that he had arrived at BoA's room. He blinked his eyes and gently pushed open the door. He looked as if he wasn't sure of what he was doing, like a lost kid trying to figure out how to open the door. Donghae noticed this, and gave him a strange look.

"Are you okay?" Donghae asked.

"Y-Yeah. I'm fine," he replied. Yunho took a deep breath, and stepped into the room. The recognizable scent of the room caused Yunho to hold his breath. His eyes were welcomed by an older woman laying on the bed. Several equipment and tubes were attached to her, and she looked like a robot being charged to come back to life. Tears silently watered his eyes while Donghae quickly brushed pass him and walked over to the vase. Like he said, there were a pair of wilting red roses withering away. Donghae quickly replaced them with lavender sweat peas. Yunho frowned.

"Why didn't you get her roses?" Yunho asked.

"Sweat peas have a more delicate meaning," Donghae explained. "They mean 'thank you for a lovely time.' It's more better than red roses, which symbolize romance."

Yunho bit his bottom lip as he stared at the new flowers. "That sounds like she's going to die or we're leaving her. Since when were you into the language of flowers?"

"Since Taeyeon's friend forced me to buy these." He turned to the unconscious body. "Wake up soon, BoA, okay? Let's make more memories after you wake up and get better, okay?"

Donghae turned to Yunho. "I'm going to leave early, okay? Try not to stay here long."

I don't feel like I want to stay here for too long, Yunho thought, watching Donghae leave. He walked over to BoA, who remained silent. Then, he let out a faint chuckle.

"You're never going to wake up, are you?" he asked. He glanced outside the window, where the sun was nowhere to be found. The clouds turned darker, and the snow tapped against the window. "It looks like there's going to be a storm." He looked back at BoA. "You'll wake up soon, right?"

No answer. Was he hoping for an answer? Yes.

"I want to stay with you longer," Yunho continued, playing with the flowers. "But it looks like I'll have to leave early." He paused. "If you wake up, make sure you visit this girl named Yuri. Although she's going to be here for a few days, so you'll have to wake up fast! She's an idiot, but you'll like her. You'll definitely, definitely like her. So please... wake up?"

He suddenly kicked his toes against the ground. "I'm leaving early today, okay? I'll see you next month... Please wake up by then?"

Yunho turned around and left the room. As he headed to see Yuri again, he glanced back in hopes that she would at least move her fingers. When he convinced himself that she wouldn't wake up today, he heaved a sigh and walked out of the room. 

When he did make it to Yuri's room, he waited to see if the doctor was still inside. He slowly opened the door by a few centimeters, enough for his eyes to peek through the thin opening.

"I told him that you fainted due to stress and lack of nutrients," Yunho heard the doctor said. Yuri looked furious.

"I told you to never tell anyone except for Jessica about this! You should've left out the part where I fainted due to lack of nutrients! You should've just kept it with stress!" Yuri exclaimed, groaning.

"Yuri, I want you to understand that many teenagers like you have anemia; iron deficiency anemia, to be exact."

Yunho felt something tug his heart.

"I know that, but I don't want people to know. Jessica is the only one who supports me to work my hardest, especially when it comes to dancing. I don't want another obstacle to face!" Yuri complained.

"Have you been eating properly? You did tell me that you were skipping meals. Do you remember what I told you to eat?"

"I've been skipping one or two meals per day, but mainly because--"

"No excuses, Yuri. You have to take care of yourself, understand?"

The skinny girl wanted to protest, but the doctor's serious gaze stunned her. She kept quiet and nodded her head like an obedient puppy. Then, the doctor smiled at her and got up while scribbling something in the folder.

"I'll call Jessica and inform her about this matter."

"Thank you," Yuri replied, nodding her head. The doctor went out to find a nurse while Yunho hid behind a few adults. Before he did anything else, he pulled out his phone and searched up "iron deficiency anemia."

 

Jaejoong was frustrated. Jessica wasn't listening to him, and she was trying her best to catch the taxi. He reached over and tried to grab Jessica's wrist, but she kept her hands close to her chest.

"Jessica, wait!" Jaejoong shouted. He ran after her, and finally managed to grab her shoulders. "Can you turn around and talk to me?"

The woman stopped, then whirled around. Anger was displayed in her brown, rough eyes, and the way her fist shook with fury warned Jaejoong about her disappointment.

"There. I stopped. I'm talking to you. Can I leave?" she asked, gritting her teeth.

She's not going to listen, he thought, shaking his head. She's not going to listen to me. She's too angry about something... What's she angry about?

"Jaejoong? Are you going to speak? If not, I better leave. Goodbye," Jessica said, turning around. She waved her hand for a taxi, but Jaejoong subconsciously grabbed her shoulders and forced her body around. She slapped away his hand and dusted off her shoulder. "Don't touch me!"

The flowers! he remembered. Quickly, before Jessica had the chance to do anything else, he forced a bouquet of carnations into her tiny hands. She widened her eyes, surprised to see a bunch of pink flowers blooming right before her eyes.

"Carnations!" Jaejoong announced. His cheeks turned slightly red. "They're c-carnations..."

No roses? Jessica wondered. Her eyes softened a bit. No, wait. They're for Yuri--

"These are for you," he said, interrupting her thoughts. This time, Jessica's heart skipped a beat. "C-Carnations... They're January birth flowers."

She frowned. "But my birthday isn't on Feb--"

"No, but my birthday is." Jaejoong looked down to avoid her gaze. "I-I-It's a way for you to remember my b-birthday..."

Silence enveloped the conversation. By now, both of their faces were visibly red. Jessica slowly brought the flowers closer to her, as if it filled up her heart just by touching her skin. She looked away, and noticed a taxi cab parking right in front of her.

"I... I got to go," Jessica said, quickly opening the door. She paused, then stared at the flowers. Before she hopped into the white taxi, she looked away while her body faced Jaejoong. "T-Thanks..."

She awkwardly got into the vehicle and didn't bother to wave at him. That was perfectly fine for Jaejoong. He was too embarrassed to look up and wave at Jessica. He turned around to grab another cab, but couldn't help to cover his face with one of his hands.

That was stupid of me, he thought.

But to Jessica, who was off to dream about this event again, it wasn't an idiotic move.

To her, it was actually pretty sweet.