The Realization

The Olive Branch

"Ah... It's so cold in here. I wonder if they're coming. Yuri didn't send me a text or anything," Jessica murmured, checking her phone. They were inside the cinemas, waiting for the birthday girl to come with Yunho. It had been forty minutes since they've waited, and Jessica was beginning to worry. Jaejoong yawned tiredly, then checked the watch he had bought at the mall just before they left off to the cinemas.

"Maybe they're busy," Jaejoong suggested. "Maybe that they're somewhere else."

"But Yuri would've called," she insisted. "Let's just wait for another twenty minutes."

Jaejoong sighed and got up from the bench. "Look, I don't know what you're going to do, but I'm hungry and tired. I'm going to buy a ticket, grab some popcorn and drinks, and head over to watch an unpopular movie, okay?"

"Why would you watch a movie that's unpopular?" Jessica asked.

"Look, the more unpopular the movie is, it's more likely that no one is there. That means that I can sleep in peace." A pause. "Are you going to wait out here or come with me?"

"At least wait for twenty minutes with me!" Jessica exclaimed. "I'm sure that they're going to come in that door any minute."

"It's highly unlikely that they're going to come in twenty minutes. Look, just give up and watch a movie! I bet you that something happened to Yuri's phone, and that's why she hasn't responded for the past fourty five minutes," Jaejoong said. Jessica snorted and rolled her eyes. She raised her phone, and shoved it in front of his face.

"Yuri cannot live without her phone. Do you think that some thief would steal her phone? I doubt it," Jessica retorted. Jaejoong shrugged his shoulders and turned around.

"Whatever. I'm going to go now, okay? Bye."

Right when he was taking a step forward, he felt someone grab the back of his shirt. He turned his head around, and found Jessica holding onto him as if she didn't want him to leave. Jaejoong blushed a bit as he faced away from her.

"W-What do you want?" he stuttered.

"You can't just leave a girl alone! What if two guys approach her and take her away?" Jessica pointed out. Jaejoong sighed.

"Well, I don't want to wait for them. Let's just go and watch a movie. I'm sure that Yuri is going to call once they come here," Jaejoong said. Jessica bit her bottom lip, unsure if she should trust him. After hesitating for a few minutes, she finally gave in and followed him to the counter, where they bought two tickets to a romance movie. Then, they purchased a large bag of popcorn and two medium-sized drinks.

"Hey, we're using my money, and since it's not your birthday, I can have all the popcorn, right?" Jaejoong asked, looking at the junk food with eyes that glowed in hunger. Jessica elbowed his stomach with a frown.

"Jaejoong, where are your manners? Half the popcorn is mine, and half is yours, understand?" she said, snatching away the bag. She walked away after shoving a handful of popcorn in , leaving Jaejoong dumbfounded. He gritted his teeth and checked his wallet.

Darn it... I don't have a lot of money left, he thought, scratching his head. "Jessica, wait up!"

 

"Ugh... This is the worse birthday ever! Why did the taxi have to break down in the middle of the road? Plus, it's snowing! It's too cold to be walking in this weather!" Yuri complained, dragging her boots across the semi-deep snow. Yunho, who was hardly wearing any thick clothing, turned around and glared at her.

"You're cold? You're cold? Ha! You know what, Yuri? I never knew that you were such a joker! I mean, look at me!" Yunho exclaimed, using his hands to point at his thin clothes. "I'm freezing over here!"

Yuri pouted and rubbed her bare hands. "You know, if you were the romantic type, then you would hand over your gloves..."

"Well, what do you know? I have no gloves," Yunho muttered. "Would you hurry it up? You're dragging me behind! The driver said that the tow truck would come half an hour, and he said that we can rest at a nearby motel." He suddenly shuttered. "Yuck. A motel."

The purple-lipped woman scrunched her nose. "What's so bad a motel? You sound like you haven't been to one."

"I haven't," he admitted, "but I've heard all about the bad things that happen there. Like, it smells like smoke twenty-four seven, the bathroom is nearly broken down, and the sheets they provide us have weird red stains on it."

"You make it sound like it's some kind of house where old creeps live in," Yuri said, rolling her eyes. Her breath was suddenly becoming shorter. "I'm sure that when we go there, it's not going to be that bad."

Yunho hissed quietly to himself and checked his phone. Not only was his battery getting low, but Jaejoong hadn't responded to his text.

Should I try calling him? he wondered. But I never call him. I'm sure he saw the text and was too lazy to reply. After all, he is a pretty lazy guy.

"Yunho... wait! I said wait!" Yuri yelled from behind. Yunho groaned, and continued forward. Was she always this slow? The wind blew harder, and every time the snow hit his face, it began to hurt.

"I'm not waiting, Yuri. Hurry up and catch up!" Yunho shouted. He heard her cough a bit, but he continued to march ahead. After five minutes of walking, it was then when Yunho stopped hearing her footsteps against the snow. Thinking that the wind was blowing even harder, Yunho didn't look back. He shoved his stiff hands into his pockets, hoping that they would warm up soon. As he continued to walk, he found it strange that there was no one standing behind him. The odd feeling caused his eyes to look to his side. Then, he turned his head around, only to find Yuri gone. He stopped walking, and froze.

"Yuri? Where the heck are you, Yuri?" Yunho called. He scratched his head. "Yuri? Stop playing around. This isn't some sort of joke."

At that very moment, Yunho felt his heart stop. His eyes widened and he suddenly felt that he couldn't breathe. Where on earth did she go? He tried to calm himself by saying how she went back to the taxi, but he wasn't so sure. He looked behind him and found a building glowing in the dark night. It was the motel where they were supposed to be at any moment. However, with Yuri gone, he wasn't so sure if he should turn back and check up on her, or if he should continue without any worry.

"Yuri... Yuri?" he asked quietly. His heart began to race. He checked his phone, finding that it was nearly out of battery. Argh! She's seriously causing so much trouble!

He ran back, hoping to find the girl who had disappeared from his side. In five minutes, he had found her on the lying on the ground. The snow was falling down much faster and harder. Yunho bent down, and pulled Yuri up. The small pile of snow on her head fell to the ground like cherry blossoms in spring.

"Yuri? Yuri, are you okay?" Yunho whispered. He shook her a bit, hoping that she would wake. Suddenly, Yuri opened her eyes and grinned at him with a cheesy expression.

"Ha! Got you!" Yuri exclaimed, smiling with joy.

Yunho blinked his eyes. "H-Huh?"

"Now you had to walk back just to pick me up," Yuri said, getting up on her feet without a problem. "Serves you right. You have to slow down and--"

"You idiot!" Yunho shouted, grabbing onto her arms. "I almost thought you were dead!"

Yuri laughed. "Me? Dead? By this snow? Yunho, if I want to become a dancer, I have to at least get through this. I've danced under a heavy rainstorm once just to prove to Jessica that I wanted to become a dancer real bad."

"You owe me an apology!" he demanded. Yuri stopped laughing and gave him a frown.

"No, you owe me an apology," she said. "You just ditched me in the snow! Sheesh. Oh, and I saw another taxi cab a few minutes ago while you left me. He's waiting for us right now." She paused. "Are you coming?"

Yunho sighed. "Just... Just please don't do that again, okay?"

Yuri felt her cheeks burn in the terrifying cold. She slowly began to feel conscious over how Yunho was grabbing her arms--tight and steady. She couldn't tell if he was shaking over the fear of losing her, or over the cold. 

"S... Sure," Yuri stammered. "I... I w-won't!"

Yunho sighed, and began walking back. "Well, let's go to that taxi cab of yours. I want to go home as soon as possible."

Yuri only nodded her head in silence as she tried to figure out when Yunho acted like a responsible man.

 

"Did you get a message from Yuri yet?" Jaejoong asked during the middle of the movie. Jessica shook her head and yawned. By now, she was already tired of staying awake. Not only was the movie a bore, but worrying over how Yuri never responded made her exhausted.

She probably went home with Yunho or something, she thought, rubbing her eyes. 

"Are you tired?" Jaejoong suddenly asked her.

"Mhm," was the response he received. He slowly cleared his throat, then tapped her shoulder.

"You know, if you're that sleepy, we can go home," Jaejoong suggested. "There's still an hour to go until the movie's done."

"No, no. It'd be a waste if we just left right now. Just keep watching. I'll be sleeping right here," Jessica said, closing her eyes. 

Jaejoong pouted. I was supposed to sleep! Now I have to watch over you incase some weirdo is going to kidnap you or something.

He sighed, and began to chew on a popcorn. In just five minutes, Jessica was already asleep and letting out soft snores. Jaejoong sipped on his drinks and continued to watch the movie, except hearing her snores slightly made him distracted. Another five minutes had passed, and her head slowly made its way to his shoulder. At first, Jaejoong tried to move her head with his hands. However, her head would continuously bob back and forth, then land again to her right, where Jaejoong's shoulder was. 

"Jessica," he whispered, trying to wake her up, "can you move a seat? Your head is kind of bothering me..."

No matter how much or how long he had tried to wake her up, she wouldn't wake up. Giving up, he heaved a deeper sigh and rested his fist against his bony cheeks. Once the movie was getting to the , Jaejoong decided that he should try waking her up again. When he turned his head to the left, he stopped for a moment to study her features. He began to smile a bit and, without thinking, began to caress her smooth hair.

Then, a strange feeling suddenly overwhelmed him. When did Jessica look so beautiful under the dark? How did she get her hair to fall just above her long, black eyelashes? He began to blush even harder when he discovered how she looked so defenseless while sleeping on his shoulders. After, his eyes wandered off to her exposed, pink lips. Without thinking twice about his actions, he unconsciously leaned forth, closed his eyes softly, and pressed his lips against her own, just like the scene in the movie was playing.

Hearing the actress speak so suddenly, Jaejoong burst his eyes opened and pulled himself back. His heart wouldn't stop racing, and he couldn't stop himself but get hotter and hotter. He tried to fan himself and stuff his mouth with popcorn to avoid thinking about his previous actions, but his eyes wouldn't stop staring at her lips.

Kim Jaejoong had stolen a kiss.

But to him, it wasn't just any kiss.

It was his first kiss and his first love whom he'd stolen it from.