Hello

My Fair Lady

 

"Hello." I said as Mr. Kim opened his dull eyes to my porcelain figure. It was quite interesting to notice his feared expression when meeting my marbled pupils. I wasn't that terrifying was I? Maybe overbearing but not monster-like. He cowered at his seat and whimpered, "Why are you here? What do you want?"

 

"To live with you of course! Have you not listened? Your age has been degrading your listening dear," I said. "Oh look it's November 26! Did you know that it's your birthday? Why don't we go out and experience the city's attractions?" I blankly responded. He scoffed and contorted his face to one of most dislike. I should have felt offended and hurt at his response but only found it more intriguing and my curiosity grew at what kind of excitement and entertainment I could extract from his aging stature.

 

I tiptoed closer to where he sat but Mr. Kim stood and dashed towards the dining area where he tripped on the box that I hid near his mahogany footstool. It seemed his persistence was evident so he pathetically crawled his way behind the counter. I was shocked at first and stood still contemplating my further actions but challenged my evergreen temptation and melodiously skipped around him singing verses of my favorite nursery rhyme.

 

"Silver and gold will be stolen away,

Stolen away, stolen away"

 


My tiny feet halted automatically when I noticed his shoe flats appear behind the well plated dinner table but I continued my chant for enjoyment.

 


"Silver and gold will be stolen away, my fair lady."

 


I heard his whimper and sobs, yet they contained a hint of want and need that I am quite observant of from my past encounters.

 

"Set a man to watch all night,

Watch all night, watch all night,

Set a man to watch all night, my fair lady."

 


Should I stop? Where is the fun in that? Let me continue my childish teasing, I thought. I rarely am allowed to taunt my encounters, however this fair man is an urban 'Mary Mary Quite Contrary.'

 

"Suppose the man should fall asleep,

Fall asleep, fall asleep,

Suppose the man should fall asleep,"

 


He bought me these sweet delicacies that are for my famished state, it is clear he lacks attention and company. Poor man, let me show your true wants and inner desires, let me free you from the chains of confinement and the judging perception of upscale society. Let me shower you with youthful aggravation and the love that has withered away from your loss. Just let me come closer and bring you to the unpredictable carnival show presenting me as the ringmaster.

 


"My fair lady."

 


I jumped in front of him grimly smiling, my mouth stretching to the corners of my burning ears expectant of his new facade masking the emotions he can have. Yet I wasn't greeted at all by one of fear or dread but by one of determination and twisted guilt. What had happened to this faint full man? Was my work completed? Had I gifted him with excitement and unrelenting nirvana?

 


I was dreadfully mistaken. I followed his eyes down that were fixated to my thin torso. An object was protruding against my finely tailored gown, it had the width of a butter stick and the length of a hand. I peered closer and it reflected the incandescent light that glimmered across the air tension. An alien feeling tickled within my flesh and I waited for the crimson fluid to ooze out of my pale wrapping. I was wrong once more as tears shed from my glass eyes, I was no longer human thus I was hollow and empty just like those who lost love, where as mine was a physical torment. I looked towards his face and wondered if he could see my loss of pride and the shallow remains of innocence and sorrow.

 


The cold liquid stained my now paled cheeks and I heard his weeping apologies. "My dear Sehun, I am so sorry. I did not intend to harm you love! How the heavens have forsaken us! But, but you have no signs of blood," he whimpered. I chuckled at his ounce of affection but explained my position in this world. The truth beheld, I had never known what I was.

I was transported into this world not too long ago and noticed I viewed the scenery in more vivid colors surrounded by blurry frames. The people were dull though and seemed to not notice me, but the few who could, welcomed me and showered me with gifts. After a while I noticed I knew every detail and knowledge of their past and strained myself when I was too far away from my dolls. After a while they would become happy and joyful, almost forgetting me, then my dolls would start to corrode. As time passed with every invitation I would black out when I am fully forgotten or my dolls have been broken. It was like a trance more than reality.

 

Mr. Kim looked awfully concerned for me and weeped when he looked at my stab wound. I wanted to erase the look of guilt so I pulled the blade out with a stoic smile as I felt my skin stitch back together with every nerve reconnecting like micro crossroads. He choked to catch his breath from my spontaneous movement, but I quickly comforted him by a hug and the last blessing of "Happy Birthday, Kim Suho." He looked upwards to face me, tears left like rivers in a vast forest of stories and knowledge. That was what age brought. Age was only a concept of mentality that humans created for the calculating domination. And to the minority, age is but a number, true youth can live forever.

 

I wish I could have brought Mr. Kim back to his carefree and loving youth but my time was up, even though I resemble the personification of spontaneous and exciting childlike innocence I am bounded by a constrained limit. I am afraid I, myself have forgotten true companionship and thus won't be able to assist Mr. Kim because I have also forgotten an attribute from thats is so common- fear.

 

Fear and worry of the unknown was a common tribute to most but I never understood the motion until the repeated greetings of my acquaintances then finally meeting Mr. Kim, he showed me why loneliness was a leading cause in the darkness that consumed people. Why a strict and organized lifestyle was much more appealing. I now realize that I wasn't myself anymore I lost the appeal of joy and only felt stressful maturity I failed in this mission, maybe next time I shall succeed. I walked over to her cotton rose couch and gingerly carried my doll to where she stood. I sighed and let out a small whimper of, "Maybe next time, my fair lady."

 

At the end a loud crash echoed through the confinement of his room shaking the walls to which they seemed to swallow us, Mr. Kim's face was etched in horror while mine remained calm and peaceful. My doll's ivory facade lay scattered across the floor like fragments of broken memories scarring and never replacing, my vision became blurry and I could feel life being drained from my frozen fingertips then...darkness.


"Sehun! Sehun honey dear please wake up." I rose from my satin sheets and looked to the loving eyes of my mother.

"Dear were you dreaming again?" She worriedly asked.

"Oh yes, how did you find out?"

"You were mumbling words and I often heard the name..your real name, Suho How peculiar."

"Please call me Sehun mother, I believe we agreed upon that, I shall bathe and dress now mother." I chuckled and bid goodbye heading towards the bathroom when I heard a thud upstairs. I faced my mother in confusion for the upper floor had been empty the entire time of our movement to this new apartment.

"Oh yes! I forgot to tell you love, but a kind widower lives above us. His name was..oh heavens how did I forget! His name is Suho, like yours but call him Mr. Kim"

I nodded as nostalgia hit me with great force enhancing my senses. "We haven't greeted him formally yet either so after you bathe be a good boy and visit him presenting him with these glazed cherries and almond cake."

"My pleasure, but mother while I visit him may I sing him a delightful nursery rhyme?"

"That sounds lovely! But which song?"

"My fair lady."