Final

Rewind

 

“Morning Kyu!” Jongwoon shouted into the phone cheerfully when he heard Kyuhyun answer the phone.

“Morning cutie!” Kyuhyun smiled and answered brightly.

“Be sure to eat your breakfast and go to work! I need to leave for work soon!”

“Alright sweetie, get going. Bye!”

“Bye Kyu!” The line went dead and Kyuhyun sighs happily and skips off to the kitchen to heat up some food for breakfast. Jongwoon always cheers him up on these moody, working days. He reminds himself to pick Jongwoon up after work for dinner later that night. After a simple breakfast, he heads off to shower before slipping into a neatly ironed suit hanging in the closet. Slipping on his well polished boots, he locks up the front door to his house and made his way to the sleek car parked in his garage. And he drives off to his company for work. Yet another tiring day for him has started and he couldn’t wait for dinner when he could finally see his lover again.

*

*

*

“And that is all. Does everyone understand? Or do I need to do a re-brief?” Kyuhyun inquired.

“That was great enough. You can go already.” The head of the board of directors stated.

“Alright then. I shall take my leave. Please enjoy your day.” Kyuhyun bows politely before gathering his stuff and left. He sighs once he got through the door and then something striked him. The dinner! He glances down at his watch and sees that Jongwoon would have been on his way home by that time. He pulls out his cell phone and dials Jongwoon’s number. After several rings, Jongwoon finally picked up.

“Yes Kyu?”

“Are you on your way home?” Kyuhyun asks gently.

“Yes, I am at the traffic junction just outside Handel& Gretel. Is there a problem? I was intending to head over to your house after freshening up.” Jongwoon answers.

“Oh, can you head over to Donghae’s restaurant instead? I want to dine there with you for the night.”

“Sure thing, Kyu. I am heading there-AHH!” A horrifying scream reached Kyuhyun’s ears and Kyuhyun panicked.

“Jongwoon?! Jongwoon, answer me!” Kyuhyun shouts into the phone desperately. However, there was no answer. Kyuhyun slips his phone back into his pocket and started running. He ran down the stairs and past several blocks until a horrible scene made him stop in his tracks.

All the blood.

The crowd.

The familiar shop named ‘Handel& Gretel’.

The traffic junction.

And there was Jongwoon, lying unconscious on the road, in a pile of blood with everyone surrounding him.

For a moment, Kyuhyun’s mind went blank and he didn’t know what to do. But when he finally absorbed in the scene, he started running towards the limp body on the road.

“Jongwoon… Wake up!” Kyuhyun cried out desperately as he held onto Jongwoon’s lifeless body. Jongwoon merely smiled at him weakly.

“I-I am s-still a-wake, y-ou fo-ol…” Jongwoon manages to say.

“Shh, don’t talk…” Kyuhyun says as he rubbed soothing circles on Jongwoon’s back.

"K-Kyu, I-I l-love y-you." Jongwoon croaks out and his hands fell to his sides, his breathing ceasing.

“JONGWOON!” Kyuhyun cries out in agony as he shook the lifeless body. The sirens of an ambulance could be heard from a distance, but Kyuhyun knew Jongwoon was already gone.

Gone for good.

Kyuhyun was still crying when Jongwoon was being pulled away from him onto the ambulance when Donghae appeared.

“Shh, Kyuhyun. Don’t cry anymore, Jongwoon will be fine. Come on.” Donghae says gently as he pulled Kyuhyun away from the crowd of people. When they finally reached Donghae’s restaurant, Kyuhyun broke down once more.

“Jongwoon left! He freaking left me! He’s gone and no one can save him! I know it, I just know it! He’s gone! Jongwoon’s gone!” Kyuhyun sobbed uncontrollably. At that exact moment, all the other restaurant workers came out of the kitchen and stared at the crying mess.

“Guys, can you close the restaurant? Something bad has happened and I don’t think you guys could even continue work.” Donghae pleaded, his tone firm and serious.

“Yes, Hae. I will see to it now. Tell us the details later.” Leeteuk answers and starts to clear up the area and closing the restaurant.

*

*

*

When the restaurant was finally empty of customers and closed, everyone settled down around a table and looked at Donghae and Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun had already stopped crying because all of his tears had been used up, but he was still clutching onto his chest, his eyes filled with a melancholic expression.

“Guys, Jongwoon’s gone.” Donghae states, his expression serious.

“G-Gone? As in he left Kyuhyun for someone-” Heechul was cut off when Donghae spoke the next line.

“He’s dead.”

“D-Dead?! How can t-that be?!” Ryeowook shouted in disbelief. Jongwoon was his best friend and he is…dead?

“He was involved in a car accident. The hospital just called to confirm his death and we need to see to his funeral soon.”

And that night, everyone cried, even the diva Heechul or Zhou Mi and Henry who weren’t close to Jongwoon. They drowned themselves in the sounds of crying, sobs, wailing and frustrated screams. Everyone couldn’t believe they just lost a dear friend easily like that.

But Kyuhyun, he wasn’t crying anymore. His expression was blank as he slowly left the restaurant without anybody noticing him. He makes his way to Jongwoon’s house, which was located a few blocks down the road. He unlocks the front door to Jongwoon’s house and slips in, his hands tracing every item in the house. When he finally came to a photo frame with a photo of Jongwoon and him together, he couldn’t help but slam the photo frame down. He slumped down on the couch while clenching his chest yet again, the pain of losing Jongwoon slowly torturing him. Slowly, he fell asleep amidst everything.

*

*

*

Spreading sunrise, pinkish glow, clouds tinted, colours spread across the sky announcing the new day, oranges and reds painted across the clouds as if by a celestial hand. The sunlight seeped through the clear glass windows and Kyuhyun’s eyes fluttered open. He rubbed his bleary eyes and found himself lying on his very own bed in his house. He looked around confusedly, as to why he had ended up at his house again. Finally, he spots Shindong lying on the small couch. Taking small steps, he made his way towards the elder and shook the elder awake.

“Oh Kyuhyun, you are awake. Donghae asked me to sent you home yesterday. He was scared that if you stayed at Jongwoon hyung- Sorry Kyuhyun! I didn’t mean to remind you!” Shindong shrieked when he realized what he had just said.

“Its fine, hyung. You can get going. I still have to make preparations for Jongwoon’s funeral.” Kyuhyun states, trying his best to not break down at that moment.

“A-Are you sure, Kyuhyun. I mean, you can just ask for-”

“I am sure, hyung. I can do this myself. So, you better run along to the restaurant. I will send you the details of the funeral later.”

“A-Alright Kyuhyun, I will go now.” Shindong replies warily and makes his way out.

Once Shindong was out of sight, Kyuhyun slams his fist into the wall and screams in agony. Nothing beats losing his loved one. Especially when Jongwoon was the only person he loved in his whole life. His parents had abandoned him years ago. And now, Jongwoon is gone. Kyuhyun has completely lost his goal in life and all he could do was put on a strong front and try not to break down. He picks up his phone and dials the number of the casket company and gives out the information and details of the funeral. After that, he picks up his coat and heads off to the hospital’s mortuary. He just wanted to look at Jongwoon again.

*

*

*

Two weeks had passed since Jongwoon’s death. The funeral had been over many days ago and now, everyone returns to their normal life except for Kyuhyun. He busies himself with work and just work. He works all day long until midnight, just so he could forget about Jongwoon’s death. Even after finishing work, he doesn’t go anywhere else other than home. Donghae, Sungmin and Leeteuk had tried countless times to get Kyuhyun over to their restaurant for a simple supper or dinner, yet each time, they were turned down.

This time was the same. Leeteuk had called at seven in the night and asked Kyuhyun over for dinner, but Kyuhyun turned down his offer with a simple ‘I have work to do.’. After finishing up his work, he left the office and heads straight home. Once home, he doesn’t even bother to go online or play games. Instead, he showers and goes to sleep straightaway. It had been like this for two weeks already and that was all he does. And that night, he fell asleep the moment he lay on the bed. He was too tired of the reality.

*

*

*

‘RINGGGGGGG!’ The alarm sounded and Kyuhyun snoozed it a while later when he finally woke up. He smile bitterly as he thought back to the times when he will wake up at Jongwoon’s wake-up call. But now…It was impossible. He bit his lip when his phone rang. He certainly did not want to entertain people at such an early hour. But still, he picks up his phone and he almost drops his phone when he saw the caller ID. He picks up the call warily.

“Y-Yoboseyo?”

“Hey Kyunnie! Do you mind opening your front door? I am tired of carrying all the groceries. I am here to make breakfast for you!” A familiar voice speaks.

“J-Jongwoon?!” Kyuhyun croaks out in disbelief.

“Kyu, what’s wrong? What happened?” Jongwoon asks worriedly.

“N-Nothing, I am coming.” Kyuhyun answers. He runs to the front door and immediately opened the door. There stood Jongwoon with his usual cheery smile and he was carrying huge bags of groceries. Kyuhyun widens his eyes. It wasn’t a joke. Jongwoon was really standing in front of him. Kyuhyun immediately embraced Jongwoon, making all of the grocery bags fall on the doorstep.

“I missed you, Jongwoonie..” Kyuhyun mumbles into the hug.

“Miss me? You just saw me yesterday!” Jongwoon exclaims as he stared affectionately at the cute lover of his.

“Y-Yesterday?” Kyuhyun asks confusedly as he straightens up and releases his hold.

“Yeah, we met at Donghae’s for dinner, didn’t we?” Jongwoon asks while raising his eyebrows. Kyuhyun immediately turns and looks at the date on the calendar.

17 July 2012. It was two weeks before Jongwoon’s death and he vaguely recalls having dinner with Jongwoon on the 16th. Realization dawned on him.

He had gone back in time.

“O-Oh yeah, the dinner.” Kyuhyun replies awkwardly as he turns back to face Jongwoon.

“Now, come on and help me get the groceries in!” Jongwoon orders cheerfully and Kyuhyun broke into a smile at the childish actions. He was going to cherish this chance he had gotten to prevent Jongwoon from the accident again.

“I am not going to let you die again.” Kyuhyun whispers softly as he stares at Jongwoon’s back. He then picks up the scattered bags and joins Jongwoon in the kitchen.

*

*

*

Days have passed and it was the fateful day again. Kyuhyun stuck to Jongwoon’s side and didn’t want to leave him but Zhou Mi suddenly appears and pulls him to the office.

“Kyu, go back to work. I am fine here.” Jongwoon smiles reassuringly at Kyuhyun and says.

“But-”

“Kyuhyun, the board of directors is waiting patiently for you at the meeting room, so please hurry and don’t make them lose their patience. This is a very important meeting regarding the expansion of the factory and you are the manager, so you have to brief them!” Zhou Mi cuts off Kyuhyun.

“Kyu, go on!” Jongwoon pushes Kyuhyun out of the café and smiles again.

“A-Alright, take care...” Kyuhyun answers unsurely before rushing off with Zhou Mi.

*

*

*

Kyuhyun was halfway through the meeting, but he was still really distracted. He glances down at his watch.

5:47pm.

Jongwoon got into the car accident at around 5:55pm. Kyuhyun’s eyes were filled with worry and hesitation as he debated whether or not to leave halfway through the meeting. Then he remembered how Jongwoon died last time and he knew what he needed to do. He couldn’t let Jongwoon die simply like the last time. He races out of the room, ignoring the shouts and questioning looks of the directors and ran straight to Jongwoon’s workplace. He slows down and heaves a sigh of relief when he saw Jongwoon still locking up Handel and Gretel. But soon, his relieved expression was replaced with that of a scared one as Jongwoon walked across the pavement and started crossing the road. Kyuhyun was horrified when he saw a car racing down the road towards Jongwoon.

"If anyone is going to die, I will be the one. I am willing to die for Jongwoon." Kyuhyun says determinedly before he races across the road too and pushes Jongwoon out of the way. Then, the car slams right into his body and blood splatters onto the ground in that instant. Jongwoon was still sprawled on the ground, confused as to what was happening. He turned around and the sight that greeted him shocked him out of his senses.

“K-Kyuhyun?” Jongwoon croaked out in shock and fear as he held onto Kyuhyun’s hands.

“Jongwoon, I love you.” Kyuhyun says, blood slowly sputtering out of his mouth.

“Kyuhyun! Don’t leave me! Come on, stay awake! Someone call the ambulance please!” Jongwoon shouts desperately, tears rolling down his pale cheeks. Just then, Donghae was passing by when he heard the screams. The scene horrified him, but he still dialled the emergency number as quickly as he could before rushing to Jongwoon’s side.

“J-Jongwoon hyung, w-what happened?” Donghae manages to ask while trying not to puke at the smell of blood

“K-Kyu he-he-”Jongwoon tries to answer, but Donghae stops him.

“It’s okay, hyung. I believe Kyuhyun will be fine.” Donghae understands the situation and tries to reassure Jongwoon. The sirens of the ambulance sounded in the distance and soon enough, the paramedics were already trying to get Kyuhyun up onto the ambulance.

“Kyu, promise me you’ll be fine!” Jongwoon cries out when Kyuhyun was pulled away from him.

“Hyung, come on and let’s go to the restaurant first. I will get Leeteuk hyung to close down the restaurant and we will head to the hospital in the van, alright?” Donghae asks gently as he held onto Jongwoon. Jongwoon merely nodded weakly and follows after Donghae to the restaurant.

*

*

*

“Guys! Emergency! Please help close the restaurant. We don’t have many customers now so it should be fine!” Donghae orders once he had successfully gathered all the workers in the kitchen.

“Arasso, Hae.  But what emergency?” Leeteuk asks curiously. He has never seen Donghae and Jongwoon like this before.

“Kyuhyun’s knocked down by a car and was sent to the hospital.” And Donghae’s answer got everyone to work as fast as they could to close down the restaurant. As soon as everything was done, all fourteen of them bundled into the van and Siwon drove them off to the hospital.

At the hospital, Jongwoon got down first. He ran inside the huge building and towards the information counter. He asks for Kyuhyun and the nurse types away at the computer for a minute before giving Jongwoon the details. And Jongwoon runs off again, with everyone trying to catch up with him.

All of them stopped outside an operating theatre. The ‘operation’ sign was lit up in red and there were several chairs around. But no one did sit. They paced around the whole corridor, praying that Kyuhyun will come out safe and sound. When the operating theatre’s doors finally opened, Jongwoon was the first to rush to the doctor’s side. The doctor had a serious expression on his face but one could see that he was satisfied.

“Doctor! How is Kyuhyun?!” Jongwoon almost shrieks.

“We have done our very best and I am pleased to announce that Kyuhyun-sshi is still alive, just that he is still in coma. He has a really strong fighting spirit. If it was anyone else, I think they would had died by now.” The doctor smiles and answers. Everyone heaves a sign of relief until Jongwoon asked the next question.

“When will he wake up then, Doctor?”

“Truthfully, I have no idea and it depends on the patient himself. Until he wakes up, he has to stay in the hospital for further observations.” The doctor states firmly.

“I see.” Jongwoon replies disappointedly.

“Now, can any of you go and handle his hospital admission? All of Kyuhyun-sshi’s belongings are here too.” The doctor holds up a zip lock bag with some items in it. Jongwoon took the bag away from the doctor.

“I will see to the admission. Thank you for your help, Doctor.” Leeteuk thanks.

“No problem. Kyuhyun-sshi will be admitted to Ward 15 on the sixteen floor and you guys can visit him later. If anything happens, do inform the hospital staff. I will get going now.” The doctor instructs them and left.

“Now, I think Jongwoon should head over to the ward. I guess he needs some time alone with Kyuhyun. So everyone else, let’s head off for dinner at the hospital canteen!” Sungmin shoos the rest away to the direction of the canteen and gives Jongwoon one last smile. Jongwoon nods his head gratefully and smiles back. He then lifts up the zip lock bag and went through the things inside. There was Kyuhyun’s cell phone, a pack of tissue and…a newspaper cut-out? Jongwoon lifts the cut-out up carefully before straightening the piece of newspaper.


 

Seoul Times

31st July 2012, 07:00

A car accident involving a male was reported at 05:55pm. The accident occurred at Myeongdong street, just outside the café ‘Handel and Gretel’. The victim of the accident, Kim Jongwoon, also a worker at Handel and Gretel, had passed away at the scene after being knocked down due to the excessive loss of blood. He had already become unconscious when the ambulance arrived and couldn’t be revived. Another male was reportedly seen holding onto the victim in pain. After some confirmations done by the reporters, it was confirmed that the other man goes by the name of Cho Kyuhyun and he is a very close friend of the victim. The police are still holding the car driver at the police station for further investigations and charges.


 

Jongwoon drops the piece of paper in shock. Kim Jongwoon. Handel and Gretel. Myeongdong street. Kyuhyun.

The person…that person was him. Jongwoon checks the date on his watch.

31st July 2012.

He…He had gone back in time. And everything repeated itself, except that Kyuhyun was the one who got injured and he didn’t die. Jongwoon let out a sound of disbelief as he picks up the newspaper cut-out and heads off to Kyuhyun’s ward.

The ward was plain white with a bathroom inside. The only sounds came from the buzzing hospital machines. Jongwoon strode across the room and made his way towards the hospital bed in which Kyuhyun was sleeping on. He slumps down on the chair and watched as Kyuhyun slept peacefully, his chest slowly rising up and down.

“You pabo. Why did you do that to save me? You could have died..” Jongwoon mutters as he ran his fingers through Kyuhyun’s brown, fluffy hair. A single tear ran down Kyuhyun’s cheeks, unnoticed by Jongwoon. Jongwoon clasps Kyuhyun’s hand tightly in his and slowly fell asleep.

*

*

*

Kyuhyun’s POV

I ran across the road and shoved Jongwoon out of the way. Then suddenly, the car slammed into me and then there was blood everywhere. My blood… Then Jongwoon suddenly came to my side with a horrified expression,

“K-Kyuhyun?” He croaked out.

“Jongwoon, I love you.” I simply mutters as blood sputters out of my mouth. Then, I became dizzy and I couldn’t remember anything, yet I could hear all the mutterings and noises around me. The last thing I heard was Jongwoon’s ‘Kyu, promise me you’ll be fine!’. And everything was black.

Then I heard something a long time after. It was Jongwoon.

“You pabo. Why did you do that to save me? You could have died..” He says while running his hand through my hair and I was relieved. He was fine. A single tear of joy ran down my cheeks. And then, I felt him take my hand and then I heard snores coming from him. He was sleeping.

When I woke up, I was in a plain white room with many hospital machines surrounding me. I tried to rub my eyes but I noticed that someone was holding onto my hands. I turned and glanced to my right. Jongwoon. At the movement of my hands, his eyelids fluttered open in surprise and I could see his joy when he saw me awake.

End POV

*

*

*

“Kyuhyun! You are awake!” Jongwoon shouts out in surprise when he saw Kyuhyun looking at him. Kyuhyun merely smiled weakly back.

“Yeah Jongwoonie.” Kyuhyun answers while smiling.

“Oh god! You scared the life out of me! Why did you do that?!” Jongwoon exclaims.

“To save you, or else what?”

“I can’t believe we went back in time and you tried to prevent the accident from happening to me again…” Jongwoon finally responds after a moment of silence.

“You know?” Kyuhyun asks in surprise.

“Yeah. I found the newspaper cutting.” Jongwoon answers and holds up the piece of paper.

“O-Oh. You don’t really believe it, do you?” Kyuhyun asks while looking seriously at Jongwoon.

“Of course I believe you, Kyu. You even risked your life for me. I am just glad that you are fine now. Speaking of which, I have to get the doctor to check up on you and update the others. Ryeowook and Eunhyuk are probably bawling their eyes out right now.”

“Aww. Be back soon.” Kyuhyun whined.

“I will.” Jongwoon answers and left the ward to search for the doctor. He found the doctor in his office and informed him about Kyuhyun. The doctor immediately got up and went to check on Kyuhyun while Jongwoon waited outside the ward. While waiting, he called back to the restaurant. The others had went back to the restaurant earlier on.

“Yoboseyo?” Jongwoon heard Donghae ask on the other line.

“Donghae, it’s me, Jongwoon hyung.”

“Oh! Jongwoon hyung! How’s Kyuhyun?!” Donghae asked worriedly.

“He just woke up and the doctor is checking on him. It’s very late already so I suppose you guys can come and visit him tomorrow instead. I will stay for the night. I will text you Kyuhyun’s condition later when the doctor finish checking him.”

“That’s good! Alrighty hyung, we will visit tomorrow! I still have to tell Hyukkie and Wookie the news first or else they will seriously have really puffy eyes.”

“Then hurry on! Bye!”

“Bye!” Jongwoon laughs as he looks down at his phone. Seriously, Eunhyuk and Ryeowook are still the biggest cry babies. He was interrupted when the doors to the ward suddenly opened and the doctor stepped out.

“How’s Kyuhyun’s condition, Doctor?”

“He seems fine and he remembers everything clearly, so I suppose he is alright. However, he suffered a broken leg and have many bruises so he have to stay for another five days in the hospital before he can be discharged. Is that okay?”

“Yes. Thank you, Doctor.”

“No problem. If there’s nothing else, I will get going. Remember, if anything happens, inform the hospital staff.”

‘Yes doctor. Good bye.” Jongwoon responds politely and watches as the doctor disappears down the corridor. He sends a short message to Donghae stating that Kyuhyun was alright and then stepped into the ward once again.

“Jongwoonie!” Kyuhyun shouts in joy when he sees Jongwoon once again.

“One moment earlier, you was still so weak. Now, you are so energized and hyper. I seriously wonder how you do that. Jeez…”

“Because you are here, Woonie! I feel so happy that I can see you again.” Kyuhyun responds cheerfully and a light blush could be seen on Jongwoon’s cheeks.

“You are getting too cheesy. Go to sleep now.” Jongwoon playfully whacks Kyuhyun’s arm, but he made sure he didn’t hit Kyuhyun too hard.

“I don’t want to.” Kyuhyun pouts and crosses his arms over his chest.

“Kyu, you know you fail in doing aegyo.”

“But you still love me for that!” Kyuhyun protests.

“Pffft. You are getting to proud of yourself. But seriously, go to sleep. You are a patient and needs rest. I promise to stay beside you.”

“Fine, you can’t leave.” Kyuhyun finally gives in.

“I won’t, so sleep now.” Jongwoon ruffles Kyuhyun’s hair and says. Kyuhyun then lay down on the bed and made himself comfortable and closed his eyes. Jongwoon watches him for a moment before placing a chaste kiss on his lips.

“I am still awake you know?” Kyuhyun suddenly opens his eyes and says.

“Then go to sleep now!” Jongwoon blushes and answers.

“Oh god, stop blushing. We are lovers, so kissing is fine!”

“Then next time I kiss you, just pretend you are asleep.”

“Fine.” Kyuhyun closes his eyes once again. Jongwoon leans down and places a kiss on Kyuhyun’s lips once more. This time, Kyuhyun didn’t open his eyes or talk, but he just savoured the moment when Jongwoon’s lips were on his. Both of them fall into a deep slumber while enjoying each other’s presence.

Love, is just like that.

Sacrifices had to be made sometimes.

 


Hello everybody!!! I finally updated~ ^^ Is this good enough??? I honestly don't know...

But anyways, this is unedited so if there are any errors, please inform me~

Kamsa!~ :D And I got over 20 subbies for a oneshot. O.O Thanks guys!!!