Chapter 9

A TRAVELLER'S DILEMMA

The luau setting is all ready, bonfires, leis, petals all over, disco lights, and music that could make everybody bounce. Men in flower printed polo are serving cocktails.

Aprille went up at Kim’s room for a girl talk before the party started. “So, who’s the man?” she asks.

“I met him on the plane going here, I hate him before, he was so annoying that I could jump off the plane any moment if I’d stayed longer, but I realized he’s nice, we’d get along, though sometimes, I could help but be annoyed by his over-seriousness.” Kim explains.

“And what? You’re two together?”

“Duh?! Of course not, I told you he’s getting married soon, he grew up in the states, has Filipino parents, and it is his first time here, but his tagalong is great, mas okay pa nga yata sakin.” Kim says drinking her orange juice.

“Oh I see, but how come I could smell something fishy? He’s getting married but you guys get along with each other? Baka naman nagback out na sa kasal.” Aprille threw a pillow at Kim.

“Hinde noh, alam mo ba, nakakatawa! Hindi pa nga nakikilala yung papakasalan nya, Weird!”

“What? Fixed marriage?” Aprille says in horror.

“Yeah.” Sighed.

“Eh bat parang nanghihinayang ka?”

“Loka! Hindi naman sa ganon, parang naaawa lang ako sa kanya kasi perfectionist sya, walang time sa love kaya hinayaan nya yung parents nya magdecide para sa kanya. Puro business ang gusto, I’m sure he’s not happy. Buong buhay mo isa-satisfy mo lang ang gusto ng iba.” Kim pouted her lips. “Pero cool naman sya kasama, ang gwapo! You’ll meet him later, I invited him kasi, sabi ko kasi sa kanya sa plane pa lang, I entertain ko muna sya dito, since bago sya sa Pinas, ako muna ang tour guide nya, para maenjoy nya yung nalalabing singlehood nya.” Kim laughs.

“Hmm.. I know you sis! You are challenged by men who opposites you. I guess, if he's not going to be married soon, you’ll catch him.”

“Bruha! Ayoko ng lalaki sa ngayon, gusto ko muna magpakasaya. Sakit lang sa ulo yan at sagabal sa shopping. At isa pa, he’s not boyfriend material, he’s too boring but he’s hot.” Kim says her lips.

“Wala ka pa rin pinagbago, halika na nga at nang makilala ko yang ‘guy mo’.”

“Guy mo ka jan, sige itetext ko lang para bumaba na.”

 

Gerald on his room talking to his mom over the fone, “Yup mom, I will come. I have to rush something.”

“What are those? You have no friends here how come someone is with you?”

“Oh mom let’s talk about this some other day, see you, love you, send my regards to dad.” He hangs up the fone.

Kim’s message came in, “We are in front of a lift second to your left.”

“Okay I am coming.”

Aprille whispered to Kim seeing Gerald, “Gosh! You’re right! He’s hot! Can I have him? Waaaaaaaaaaaa. I’m dying!”

“Sshh.. wag ka nga OA mamaya makahalata yan.” Kim cuts her off. “Tara!” she adds.

Kim could not make Aprille behave so she pulled her and they left Gerald alone, “Excuse Ge ah.” She smiles.

“Anu ka ba, umayos ka nga, bulong ka ng bulong jan haha.”

“Eh pano naman kasi, nagkakasala ako nito kay Tyron, ang gwapo ng alaga mo shet!”

Kim rolled her eyes, “Alaga ka jan, behave ka nga.”

And they went back to their table with Gerald. Digging on their cocktails and dancing to the beat of the night. Kim noticed Gerald being too quiet, “Are you okay?” she asks.

“Yes I am, I told you I am not into parties, but, carry on!” he smiles.

“Oh I am sorry, sorry sorry, Ang bastos ko, I forgot to introduce you to each other, by the way this is Aprille my best friend, Aprille , Gerald, my friend.” Kim grins. “Sorry.”

Gerald and Aprille shook hands, Kim interrupted, “Huy! Bat parang ayaw mo na bumitaw?”

“Ay sorry, haha.” Aprille replied.

 

Aprille couldn’t really resists for Gerald, a men in white sando came in and invited Kim for a dance which she agreed to. Aprille and Gerald were left alone in the table.

“So, sa states ka pala lumaki?” Aprille, trying to flirt with Gerald.

“Yup, I assume Kim has already told you, sa daldal nyang iyon.”

Aprille told her self, “May pagka antipatiko nga.”

“Are you going to start a business here?” Aprille adds.

Gerald was a bit uneasy, his eyes are moving from left to right, and didn’t hear what Aprille said.

“Ha? Ano nga ulit iyon?”

But before Aprille could repeat her question, Gerald interrupted. “Barkada nyo ba yung kasayaw nya?”

“Ah yun? Hindi, We didn’t even know his name, ganon talaga si Kim, ma PR.”

“Ahh..” Gerald stops.

Aprille distinguished that Gerald is feeling a bit jealous about Kim’s dancing partner. And when Kim came back, “Ui, join us. Party! Party!”

Aprille looked at Gerald and he was ignoring Kim. She winked at Kim, and Kim read her body language. Aprille excused herself to get something to eat.

“Ano ba yan Ge, bakit ayaw mo naman sumayaw, the night is young. Come on.” Kim pulled him to the dancefloor.

She held his both hands, and led him to the tune that wasn’t usual to him. After a minute or two, Gerald was dancing along.

“Sabi ko sayo madali lang eh. Wooohooo.” Kim called the waiter and picked her 3rd shot of tequila. “Want more?” she asked Gerald. “No thanks.”

They danced until their knees falter. “Hay! Kapagod, upo muna tayo.” Kim walks unstraight due to the effect of tequila shots, she was about to fall when she stepped on a hard rock, but Gerald caught her waist and they accidentaly embraced each other. “Oopss! Careful.” he blushed.

He let her sit and asked the waiter to bring them a glass of water for Kim. Aprille’s turn on the dancefloor. Kim still grasping for air with hiccoughs. “Iinom inom ka kasi hindi mo naman kaya.” Gerald retorts. “Tapos lahat na lang ng lalaki dito, nakasayaw mo.” Gerald shook his head.”

“Itay! Kaya nga po party eh. Mingle! Have fun! What’s the fuzz? I am single! Maliban na lang kung gusto mo ko I take home.” Kim laughs teasing Gerald’s chin.

“Alam mo lasing ka na, halika iaakyat na kita.”

“Sus, of course not. If you want you can go, Aprille and I still want to have fun. Ang aga pa kaya itay.” She naughtily says.

Aprille came in, “Sis, I will go na. Tyron is already waiting at the parking lot. I’ll call you. Take care.”

“Ha? Eh akala ko ba mamaya ka pa, ano ba naman yan ang boboring nyo.” Kim bid goodbye to her friend and tried to go back in the dance floor but Gerald pulled her arms and stopped her.

“That’s enough. I cannot leave you like that. Let’s go.”

“Ano ba, bitawan mo nga ko. Pakielam mo ba” Kim let go.

Two steps away from Gerald, she fell. Gerald ran after her, lifted her with the absence of her consciousness.

Kim on his arms, Gerald felt a sudden pang of freeze. He has no choice, he keeps on looking for a pocket in Kim’s dress, and check the key to her room, but he couldn’t find it. He can’t afford to ask assistance anymore, he decided to bring Kim to his room.

He laid her down the bed, took her shoes off. He keeps on running his fingers along his face, thinking what to do. “Oh Good Lord, what shall I do.”

He washed his hands. Kim is deeply sleeping. He sat down beside her, watch her sleep. He smiled when he recalled their memories in the plane. When suddenly, Kim faced him, and blew again like before.

“What the!” Gerald shouted.

After that, Kim fell down and went back to sleep again. Gerald shook his head. He gets some paper towel and wiped Kim’s face in disgust. And his thighs. He hands the glass of water, scooped Kim and let her sip even just a bit. He laid her down again, fixed her hair, put on a blanket over her, and a pillow to hug.

“You’re the most beautiful disaster.” He smiled.

He spread the comforter to the floor and there he fell asleep.