Chapter 19

A TRAVELLER'S DILEMMA

It is their last day in Batangas, they will drive to Manila after lunch time. Kim and Grandpa had a small talk at the veranda, “Kimmy, were you wise enough choosing him?”

“Dad, trust me. Hindi naman ako magpapaloko. Ako pa! I am tough as you.”

“Better make that sure huh, ‘coz when he made you cry, ibang usapan iyon.”

“Promise!” she says.

“How are your parents? Your mom?”

Kim sighed. “We haven’t seen each other since I came back here in the Philippines. Patawag tawag, once in a while and that’s it.”

“I am sorry Kim, it is my fault. Noong lumalaki ang mommy mo masyado ko tinatak sa utak nya na walang ibang mahalaga kundi ang negosyo. Sinabi ko sa kanya na hindi sya magiging maginhawa kung hindi nya ibubuhos ang oras nya doon. Kaya siguro pati sa kaisa isa nyang anak nawalan sya ng panahon.”

“Dad, don’t blame yourself. I understand. In fact, sanay na nga ako eh. Hindi ko na rin gaano naiisip yun. Don’t worry about me, and besides, I found the right guy for me.”

 

Lolo Greg went inside and Kim was left alone in the veranda, she picked out a pink lighter from her pocket and a cigarette. She was about to consume all of it when Gerald saw her. “You smoke?”

Kim hurriedly threw it. “Ahh…… Minsan lang, kapag natetense.”

“And why are you tensed?”

“Wala lang.”

Gerald stomped out of her way and get inside his room. Kim followed him right after.

“Baby, sorry na.”

“If I will tell you to stop smoking would you listen to me? Hindi diba. So why talk about this issue.”

Kim was hurt hearing those words from him, she locked the door so the noise won’t be too obvious outside. “What are you trying to say? Don’t shout at me! Never in my life that somebody told me what to do!”

“I get it. Fine! Do whatever you wanna do. Para san pang boyfriend mo ako.”

“I am sorry but I did not make you my guy just to listen to your commands. I have my own life kahit partners tayo, don’t you get it!”

Gerald noticed the heated argument so he went outside to avoid more damage.

 

“Bye Mamita, I will go back soon. I love you.” Kim hugs her Lola. “Thanks Lolo, take care of yourself. I love you too.” She adds.

“Salamat po sa hospitality, Lolo, Lola. I have enjoyed a lot.”

 

Kim seated at the back while Gerald is in front and still ignoring each other. Kim plugged her earphones and closed her eyes.

An hour later, he saw that Kim fell asleep. Gerald transferred to her side slowly without going down the car, he get the pillow and rested Kim’s head to his shoulders. Kim felt him and opened her eyes, after seeing what he did, she squinted, let go of his arms and faced the window.

“I love you.” He whispers.

Kim managed to control her smile.

“I cannot promise to understand everything about you but please try to listen to me.” He says.

“Ge, I don’t talk about it. I’m sorry.”

 

(Manila)

“Kim don’t forget about the party tomorrow night okay? I will pick you up.”

“Yah sure. See you. I love you.”

“I love you too. Thanks for the time.” Gerald gave her a smack on the lips.

 

“Hello Conchita, I missed you.” Kim says while cuddling her puppy.

“Ano ang gusto mo for dinner?” Elvie asks.

“Pasta na lang yaya.”

“Tumawag mommy mo. Darating na sila bukas ng tanghali.”

“Ah okay. That won’t make any difference.”

 

“Gerald. Ready for the welcome party?”

“Ah dad, I guess. Still nervous.”

“Oh don’t be. My Philippine team is very easy to work with. I am sure you can make it.”

“Thanks dad.”

 

Gerald’s friend Pocholo came in for visit.

“Bro. Kamusta? You look good.”

“Thanks bro. I am preparing to handle our business here. Medyo kapa pa. Ikaw kamusta?”

“Wow cool! Ako I am taking my doctorate.”

“Ui, yan ang cool.”

“Hassle nga. Pero okay naman. Enjoy. So, kalian ko sya makikilala?”

“Who?”

“Kim. Tita told me about her and Pamela. Astig ka dun!”

“Ah si Kim, she’ll be there tomorrow sa launch party ko. Punta ka ah.”

“Sure sure. Ininvite na rin ako ng dad mo eh.”

“Are you with somebody?”

“Wala muna. Kakabreak lang namin 4 months ago. Ikaw, how’s life with her?”

“Okay naman. Masaya. She is my first diba. Minsan lang talaga may petty fights kasi matigas ang ulo nya.”

“So Mr. Perfect meets Ms. Understood?” Pocholo laughs.

“Not really. Huwag lang sana lalampas. You know me when I became impatient.”

“Naku pare, marami pa yan. Kung nakakaya mo i-handle ang napakalaking company, yan pa kaya and besides, kung mahal mo ang isang bagay, you will exert extra efforts to make everything for it.”